Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

IE 6 now supported till 2014

Featured Replies

Oh god, 2014!?!?? I could be married and have kids by then! I do NOT want ie6 still at large in 5 years..

http://mashable.com/2009/08/07/ie6-must-die-2/

 

 

 

This is what I would do if I still produced websites commercially: serve an simple generic stylesheet to anything older than IE7. The content is still accessible, but still not completely naked. I might include a small discreet message using conditional comments to affected IE users.

 

Only if the client had some very specific reason to support IE6 I'd consider it.

No matter what we say, do or moan about, Microsoft won't change their minds.

Dear god! 2014!!!! What on earth are Microsoft thinking? :shok:

Dear god! 2014!!!! What on earth are Microsoft thinking? :shok:

 

Greed?

Knowing MS... probably....

 

Well in that case, if they can do it, then so can I..... I'm off to start a chocolate teapot company... anyone want to join me :D

Yeah but supported by who? More and more people are starting to drop support on their websites for IE6, I certainly have, and I was reading this months ".net" which is saying that Google, Digg and another big few sites are stopping support!

 

So maybe its gonna be supported till 2014, but thats only by Microsoft and a couple of idiots who don't have a clue, at the end of the day it's up to us... the designers, as we design the web, and if we don't support it and we let our users know that we're not supporting it then they'll have to upgrade... in theory!

 

Thats my rant against the monster that is IE6! Go jump of a cliff IE6! (head first!)

Microsofts problem is that Internet Explorer isn't just a web-browser. It's an application platform. Intranet applications rely on it and web based desktop applications such as HTA rely on it. (Window's helpfiles are HTML based - other desktop applications has integrated the IE platform into their software for data presentation.)

That is why they can't drop it. If they did that there be an outrage amongst the software industry.

  • 3 months later...

If they roll out a patch to fix all the 'features' they can support it as long as they want....

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.