Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

StyleSpread: CSS Editor. Have you seen StyleSpread?

Featured Replies

I just found this today through one of my feed links, it's an incredible on-the-fly CSS editor called StyleSpread - http://www.stylespread.com/tour/

 

Other than saving my already-RSI-tortured wrists from making CSS changes in Dreamweaver, saving, alt-tabbing to a browser, refreshing, checking, going back to Dreamweaver, etc, this thing also allows you to put tabbed bookmarks into your CSS, select colors using a color-picker, and I'm only half-way through the tutorial 0_0

I take it your don't like the idea of this css editor? At least give it a bit of a chance Harmony ^_^

 

 

Seems useful, even though I am very stuck in my ways about how I code my css I might have a look at it :)

I like dreamweaver - been using it for years and happy with it.

Mmm. Since I'm not a Dreamweaver sheep user, this looks very intriguing. :)

  • Author

Don't get me wrong, I love Dreamweaver and have been using it for years, but the constant swapping back and forth between browser and editor when making tiny little css changes (like bumping text up a size, or increasing padding) can become time-consuming and painful on your wrists when you're swapping every 10 seconds for hours at a time.

 

I'm also really impressed with the bookmark function - so far in Dreamweaver the only way I've been able to emulate it is to set up distinct class names and search for them, a pretty clunky solution.

 

The only thing I'm not super happy about with the StyleSpread is it uses IE as the default browser for testing, which is not good considering IE's lack of standards compliance. I've written to the developer to ask about it.

that was going to be my next point - when I'm working and testing - I check my work in all the browsers I can throughout the build process and so always do some coding, upload file, check on all borwsers, go back to dreamweaver and continue coding. This software might have a live preview, but does it allow you to test in all the browsers?

Mmm. Since I'm not a Dreamweaver sheep user, this looks very intriguing. :)

 

haha, I lovew dreamweaver sorry. Seen as I already own it, why would I need to buy another CSS, when I can do PHP, ASP, FLASH, XHTML, JAVASCRIPT e.t.c from the same place.

 

However, I can see the arthritical (is that a word?) advantage of using mouse, so I give them thumbs up for that .

 

 

Oh wait. Its $50. Thats great, and you can edit live sites CSS, good for myspace, cool find ;):lol: If only I hadnt shelled out for CS3 <_< <_<

  • Author
This software might have a live preview, but does it allow you to test in all the browsers?

 

Sadly no, I've been chatting with the developer and the program only supports Internet Explorer at the moment :( FireFox support is scheduled for version 3.0 so I'm going to hold off buying it until then.

Hello all!

 

It's true, the current version of our software is IE only. But I promise the next version will have support for Firefox. It's been the number one requested feature. In fact, we probably should have started with it (and IE afterwards), but it's quite a bit more work to implement because the Firefox ActiveX control doesn't support a lot of the stuff we need. But it will come.

 

We would add support for Opera as well, but it looks like they're only open to working with giants like Adobe...

 

Anyone who would like a heads up when the next version goes out (with FF) can send me a PM. Or just go to our web site and ask.

Thanks for chiming in, Paul.

 

I'll be all over this when the version with FF comes out. I'll drop you a PM now. Yay! :D

wow it would be quite helpful if it had more browsers built in, that way you can easily flip between them. I might be interested then...maybe, but then again I don't mind being a sheep.

I'm guessing you have never seen a good css editor before..?

I hand code my css, so I have never needed a good editor, much like I hand code my html so I have never needed a good editor for that either... I could happily sit in notepad. I just chose to use Dreamwaver as it saves a bit of time, and its what I was forced to use on a project one time and thought hey coding in this is a little faster. :p

 

 

Still I never trust what dreamwaver shows me as it is useless and I always check to make sure that it looks right in a variety of browsers. Much like if I used this I wouldn't trust this and would still check how it looked in other browsers...so if you could check this by clicking a button on there rather than hitting refresh on a page I can see how it can be appealing to some people.

I'm guessing you have never seen a good css editor before..?

 

I haven't, no. :p

 

Having never invested in Dreamweaver (I could never justify the cost as a hobbyist and I felt I didn't need it when I was "good enough" to hand code), I guess I missed that boat. Recently I've moved to designing entirely in CSS (just setting divs and content in HTML) so this will be a good lil toy for that venture. :)

 

(BTW, the sheep comment was meant as a joke ;) )

I have been using TopStyle a little lately. I wanted to prepare the way for breaking off from a WYSIWYG editor. I find it really good and it has helped me learn faster. The stylesheets created can still be used in Dreamweaver for when I feel wobbly too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.