Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How can I find out about a rival website?

Featured Replies

I have a site I have made that is at the bottom of page one for a search but I would like it to be nearer the top.

 

The page at the top has a page rank of one whilst mine had a page rank of zero.

 

What else can I find out about the top page in order to make mine better or how can I get my page nearer the top?

 

Thanks.

I have a site I have made that is at the bottom of page one for a search but I would like it to be nearer the top.

 

The page at the top has a page rank of one whilst mine had a page rank of zero.

 

What else can I find out about the top page in order to make mine better or how can I get my page nearer the top?

 

Thanks.

 

 

PR is of little relevance, take a look at keywords, find out what keywords are being used in search terms, and what key words they're using.

 

Ideally you want to find commonly searched terms that they're not using, and take them before trying to overtake them with the keywords they are using

 

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal That's a good tool to help with keyword research.

 

There are alot of other things you can do initially to attract search engines, such as updating content reguarly, networking and so on.

 

Bottom line is, provide better quality content than the other site, and search engines should start to recognise this, and make sure your pages are coded properly, conforming to WAI and W3C guidelines, fully semantic, clean mark up.

 

There's a just a few things in this big ocean that is SEO :/

I have a site I have made that is at the bottom of page one for a search but I would like it to be nearer the top.

 

The page at the top has a page rank of one whilst mine had a page rank of zero.

 

What else can I find out about the top page in order to make mine better or how can I get my page nearer the top?

 

Thanks.

 

 

You could check their backlinks, google backlink checker etc, youll find some good tools.

 

Check their backlinks and try to get links from the same websites.

  • Author

They only have two back links and one is from a business directory which I have just signed up to.

 

The other is more of a personal site and probably won't give me a link.

 

I put links to my site on a couple of blogs a while ago but they are not showing up as back links for my site. Do blogs not count?

They only have two back links and one is from a business directory which I have just signed up to.

 

The other is more of a personal site and probably won't give me a link.

 

I put links to my site on a couple of blogs a while ago but they are not showing up as back links for my site. Do blogs not count?

Chances are, if the links are from a blog they are nofollow links.

 

If your competitor only has 2 backlinks then I'd concentrate on getting more backlinks than them (which shouldn't take long) and that should certainly help you rank above them in the SERPs.

  • Author
Chances are, if the links are from a blog they are nofollow links.

 

Ah, I didn't know about that. Does that apply to all blogs? Is there a way to find out if a blog does nofollow links?

Ah, I didn't know about that. Does that apply to all blogs? Is there a way to find out if a blog does nofollow links?

Not all blogs but a lot of them.

A link should still show up if it's a nofollow but will be of little use to you as it won't pass on 'link juice'.

 

An easy way to find out if a link is a nofollow is to use the SEO for Firefox extension which highlights all nofollow links on a page in red.

 

You can also use a tool like backlinkwatch.com that will display a list of backlinks to a site and will say whether the backlink is a nofollow.

 

Or of course you can look at the code. A nofollow link will have rel="nofollow" in the anchor tag.

 

Hope that helps.

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.