December 16, 200817 yr Hi, I'm a semi-professional photographer and NOT a web designer, but designing a search-engine-optimised website has become something of a hobby. Please give me your impressions, and any hints and tips, for my website design at: www.paulmaguirephoto.com I'm specifically looking for some feedback on the css design, because the actual content is evolving. I didn't want to develop it too much further in case I need to make some fundamental changes based on your feedback. I want most content to be readily visible rather than have a stylish "splash page". The purpose of the website is as follows: Showcase my best photos ("Gallery") These pages are currently a hangover form an old design and I plan to create some better galleries with new content (my photography has improved!!) probably using a free java gallery Offer a collection of photos for sale as fine art prints or for commercial licence ("Photos"). Each photo has a unique page in order to be SEO. Offer photography advice so that my site attracts traffic and ultimately better search engine ranking Publish photo essays in a "blog" style. (Currently part of "News" but I plan to split these out) I have a consistent css design for all pages, but the feedback I've had from friends is that it doesn't "look" like a photographer's site. Any tips you can give on the css design in particular (because the content will evolve) would be most welcome. If anyone really wants to go to town, then I've set up some php so that you can, if you wish, copy my css file, edit it, and upload it somewhere, then test it with something like: www.paulmaguirephoto.com/index.html?css=http://www.your-website.com/try-this-style.css The default css file is: style2.css Regards, Paul
December 16, 200817 yr It's a nice clean website, but my comments are; Use the left hand bar more, on some pages such as gallery it is empty and makes the site look unbalanced. When you go to your gallery then click on the section the new 'frame' opens randomly in FF. Not center, nor inline with other content. Just sitting overlapping your left div?
December 16, 200817 yr its rearly good, i think you need some kind of logo though, probably will add to my favourites incase i need of the stock
December 16, 200817 yr Due to you having nofollow for robots in your Meta Tags.. your only going to get your home page indexed on search engines. Other than that, the design is clean and simple. Well done :]
December 16, 200817 yr Hi For someone who is not a web designer you certainly could have fooled me. I know others will answer your main topic, but it is a credit. Good luck
December 17, 200817 yr Author Thanks for your feedback guys. I thought it would be mostly negative so I'm really pleased Comments, anyone, on the styling/css, especially choice of colours, fonts, use of white space, borders, etc? Regards, Paul
December 17, 200817 yr Viewing in FF3: You've got a horizontal scroll which shouldn't be there. Main navigation is the plainest I've ever seen. A few small validation errors. Other than that it's actually pretty well coded, needs some extra special (subtle) details to help make it really stand out. At the moment it feels a little unfinished/plain.
December 17, 200817 yr Author Viewing in FF3: You've got a horizontal scroll which shouldn't be there. Main navigation is the plainest I've ever seen. A few small validation errors. Other than that it's actually pretty well coded, needs some extra special (subtle) details to help make it really stand out. At the moment it feels a little unfinished/plain. Thanks Mesa. Any ideas what's triggering the horizontal scroll? Maybe the css for my banner? I agree the design is all a bit plain. I wanted a "minimalist" look but I'm not a designer and not sure how to improve it. Every attempt I make to improve it ends up looking like I've done it in powerpoint. Any suggestions, or example websites you can point me to ? Regards, Paul
December 17, 200817 yr I like it, plain but stylish, its letting your pictures do the talking which is what a photography showcase should be about. I do agree with Sunlight I think your header would probably benefit from a small very well styled logo. Maybe based on your favicon? and you do seem to have a lot of white space to the left of everything maybe bring the content across more so it looks more of a style statement and less like a lack of content. As Mesa stated a few small validation errors but all easy fixes mainly missing Alt tags and a few overlooked opening/closing tags but nothing major. I think you have done yourself proud, I have come across many "web Designers" who could not produce a site that slick.
December 17, 200817 yr I will design you a logo if you want 1/2 price. Click the link in my signature to see my site and some of my work.
Create an account or sign in to comment