Everything posted by Vicky
-
Links not linking!
Hi Nock and jakdothtml Many thanks for your responses - I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this for me. I needed to keep the background image within the css so I could control it better on the mobile versions. I followed the advice here about a newer technique for image replacement: http://www.sitepoint.com/new-css-image-replacement-technique/ and I also added an a:link rule to both items: #social-links ul li.link-facebook a{ display:block; height:100%;} I'm yet to test it across the board, but it seems to be working so far. Many thanks again for your time. Funny that you're so local to the nursery jakdothtml! Vicky
-
Links not linking!
Hi, I built a website with social media links which are within a Wordpress widget. The 'links' are at the top left of this home page theoldstationnursery.co.uk. But they don't link! I keep looking back at the code in my widget thinking that the syntax must be wrong, but I can't see the error. This is my code: <div id="social-links"> <ul> <li class="link-facebook"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Old-Station-Nursery-Group/138568469498327/ ">follow us on facebook</a></li> <li class="link-instagram"><a href="http://instagram.com/oldstationnursery#/ ">follow us on instagram</a></li> </ul> </div> If anyone has a suggestion of where I may have gone wrong, I'd be really grateful! Vicky
-
overflow:scroll not working in IE, Chrome and Safari
Hi, I built a website for a charity which uses a Just Giving widget. The iframe is tricky, as it needs a lot of space as you go through the process of the donation, so the I have needed to limit the dimensions of it on the initial page so it doesn't push all the other content to the bottom of the page (you can view the page here: http://www.virtualdoctors.org/support-us/ ) The widget is placed inside the page using the following code: [iframe class="giving" src="https://www.justgiving.com/virtualdevelopmentuk/donate/?targetdevice=embed&theme=iframe&utm_source=website_cid235222&utm_medium=givingwidget&utm_campaign=donation" width="573" height="440"] The css I use to make sure that the scrollbar is displayed is: iframe.giving {overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: scroll !important;} It works on Firefox, but not on the others. I have tried loads of variations, and I can't find a solution. I'd be really grateful if anyone had any ideas. Many thanks Vicky
-
CSS hover lists
I think this should be reasonably straightforward, but does anyone know what the technique is called to achieve this kind of effect and if there are any tutorials on it: http://www.atkinsglo...rs-and-services
-
Navigation traumas
Hi, I've been working on trying to correct something for days, and it's driving me to distraction as I simply can't find the cause of the problem. We have built a website based on Wordpress, and it functions fine in modern browsers (you can view it here: http://rcbishopricforces.org.uk/home/), but the client uses IE6 as they're in a military environment and have no option to upgrade, so it's critical that the site functions correctly in IE6. The navigation in IE6 runs along the page and behind the imagery rather than in a normal list, rendering it totally unusable (screenshot attached). I can't find anything in the code which would make it do this. I'm sure that there must be a straightforward issue that I'm missing, but I just can't seem to find it and I would be so grateful if anyone was able to shed any light on it. A freelancer implemented the theme for me, and I'm just having trouble working with the code as a lot of it seems to be redundant. Anyway, some of the styling for the navigation follows. I can't see anything that would cause it to behave that way, so I'm thinking that I must be looking in the wrong place. ul.dropdown, ul.dropdown li, ul.dropdown ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 0; } ul.dropdown-vertical{ min-width:387px; margin: 0; } *html ul.dropdown-vertical{ width:387px; } Any ideas would be very gratefully accepted to save my sanity! Vicky
-
Disabling Skype formatting
Brilliant - it works - thanks so much for sharing that. Just need to go through and add it to all my websites now. Many thanks again Wickham...
-
Disabling Skype formatting
Hi, apologies for the delay - I've been away. Here is the code it outputs: <span width="15px" height="12px" class="skype_name_highlight_offline" title="whatever-your-skypename-is"><span class="skype_name_mark"> begin_of_the_skype_highlighting</span><span class="skype_name_mark">end_of_the_skype_highlighting</span></span> Vicky
-
Disabling Skype formatting
H i BlueDreamer Maybe you haven't seen the Skype plugin. You're able to disable it on your own browser, but my concern is that if any user has the plug in installed, it formats the phone number of every website you visit, and it's not only frustrating, but it's just ugly. You can disable the plug in in your browser, but if you're building websites, you can't instruct every user to disable their plug-in. I simply want to find a way to 'hide' the phone number from the Skype plug-in so that it doesn't format it on every page of our websites. I feel as though Skype is hijacking our websites. Vicky
-
Script is disabling navigation links
Crikey - thanks mteam. I have no idea why what you suggested works, but it does. I'm not sure why the additional margin and padding would make such a difference, but I'm really grateful to you for taking such an indepth look at it for me and coming up with a solution. I wouldn't have thought to look at those values at all. Many thanks again Vicky
-
Disabling Skype formatting
I'm surprised not to find anything else on this topic on the forum, so I really apologise if it's already been covered. I searched, but couldn't find anything about it. Is no one else frustrated by the automatic formatting which Skype imposes on our websites if a user has the Skype plug-in? I've tried to get rid of it using several methods, and all of those listed on the Skype forum: http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=85053 but to no avail. I also found a post here: http://blog.bouncedesign.co.za/?p=6 But this didn't work either. If anyone has solved this problem, I'd be really grateful if they posted their solution here. Many thanks Vicky
-
Script is disabling navigation links
I'm working on a simple website which uses a crossfade on the home page. The crossfade works fine, but for some reason including it disables the navigational links and logo link on the page. Other links work fine. If I remove the script from the page, the links function again. I have used this crossfade on several projects with no problems, and I can't find any reason why this would behave this way. I'd be really grateful if someone could cast an eye over the draft page and see if they can see what the problem may be: http://www.glossinteriordesign.co.uk/draft/index.php - I've been going back to it with fresh eyes for days now, and can't get to the bottom of it. Other pages in the site which don't use the crossfade work fine, eg: http://www.glossinteriordesign.co.uk/draft/interior-design-porfolio.php Any ideas would be gratefully received! Vicky
-
Windows Media Player resizing cached video
Hi, this is a wierd one, and I'm guessing there's some kind of conflict with the thickbox js file, but I'm not sure. I have a page which calls up a wmv file in a thickbox, and it works fine when you first visit the page, but if you return to the page and try to view the video again, the video has expanded so it can no longer be viewed within the dimensions specified in the code. The code that I'm using to call the video is: <a href="#TB_inline?inlineId=VideoWMV&height=370&width=490" class="thickbox" title="RVSE video">This demonstration Video</a> <!--start hidden video WMV --> <div id="VideoWMV" style="display:none;"> <object type="video/x-ms-wmv" data="/products/RVSE2.wmv" width="490" height="370"> <param name="src" value="/products/RVSE2.wmv" /> <param name="autostart" value="true" /> <param name="controller" value="true" /> </object> </div> <!--end hidden WMV video --> Does anyone have any suggestions of what may be causing this? You can view the problem on this page: http://www.cyrrus.co.uk/aviation-services-products.php by clicking on the RVSE Video Recording link in the first box. Any ideas gratefully accepted!
-
pdf link opens save as dialog
Hi, I'm using a simpletree .js script for expanding and collapsing a Q&A page. It works great, but when I'm including a link to a pdf file, instead of going directly to the pdf, it opens up a 'save as' dialogue box. I'm sure there's a way around it, but I'm a Javascript dummy, and don't know where to look. You can see the issue on the first question on this page: http://www.cyrrus.co.uk/rvse_questions.php - the two links should open pdf files, but they don't. Does anyone have any idea how I could rectify this? This is the simpletree javascript code var persisteduls=new Object() var ddtreemenu=new Object() ddtreemenu.closefolder="closed.gif" //set image path to "closed" folder image ddtreemenu.openfolder="open.gif" //set image path to "open" folder image //////////No need to edit beyond here/////////////////////////// ddtreemenu.createTree=function(treeid, enablepersist, persistdays){ var ultags=document.getElementById(treeid).getElementsByTagName("ul") if (typeof persisteduls[treeid]=="undefined") persisteduls[treeid]=(enablepersist==true && ddtreemenu.getCookie(treeid)!="")? ddtreemenu.getCookie(treeid).split(",") : "" for (var i=0; i<ultags.length; i++) ddtreemenu.buildSubTree(treeid, ultags[i], i) if (enablepersist==true){ //if enable persist feature var durationdays=(typeof persistdays=="undefined")? 1 : parseInt(persistdays) ddtreemenu.dotask(window, function(){ddtreemenu.rememberstate(treeid, durationdays)}, "unload") //save opened UL indexes on body unload } } ddtreemenu.buildSubTree=function(treeid, ulelement, index){ ulelement.parentNode.className="submenu" if (typeof persisteduls[treeid]=="object"){ //if cookie exists (persisteduls[treeid] is an array versus "" string) if (ddtreemenu.searcharray(persisteduls[treeid], index)){ ulelement.setAttribute("rel", "open") ulelement.style.display="block" ulelement.parentNode.style.backgroundImage="url("+ddtreemenu.openfolder+")" } else ulelement.setAttribute("rel", "closed") } //end cookie persist code else if (ulelement.getAttribute("rel")==null || ulelement.getAttribute("rel")==false) //if no cookie and UL has NO rel attribute explicted added by user ulelement.setAttribute("rel", "closed") else if (ulelement.getAttribute("rel")=="open") //else if no cookie and this UL has an explicit rel value of "open" ddtreemenu.expandSubTree(treeid, ulelement) //expand this UL plus all parent ULs (so the most inner UL is revealed!) ulelement.parentNode.onclick=function(e){ var submenu=this.getElementsByTagName("ul")[0] if (submenu.getAttribute("rel")=="closed"){ submenu.style.display="block" submenu.setAttribute("rel", "open") ulelement.parentNode.style.backgroundImage="url("+ddtreemenu.openfolder+")" } else if (submenu.getAttribute("rel")=="open"){ submenu.style.display="none" submenu.setAttribute("rel", "closed") ulelement.parentNode.style.backgroundImage="url("+ddtreemenu.closefolder+")" } ddtreemenu.preventpropagate(e) } ulelement.onclick=function(e){ ddtreemenu.preventpropagate(e) } } ddtreemenu.expandSubTree=function(treeid, ulelement){ //expand a UL element and any of its parent ULs var rootnode=document.getElementById(treeid) var currentnode=ulelement currentnode.style.display="block" currentnode.parentNode.style.backgroundImage="url("+ddtreemenu.openfolder+")" while (currentnode!=rootnode){ if (currentnode.tagName=="UL"){ //if parent node is a UL, expand it too currentnode.style.display="block" currentnode.setAttribute("rel", "open") //indicate it's open currentnode.parentNode.style.backgroundImage="url("+ddtreemenu.openfolder+")" } currentnode=currentnode.parentNode } } ddtreemenu.flatten=function(treeid, action){ //expand or contract all UL elements var ultags=document.getElementById(treeid).getElementsByTagName("ul") for (var i=0; i<ultags.length; i++){ ultags[i].style.display=(action=="expand")? "block" : "none" var relvalue=(action=="expand")? "open" : "closed" ultags[i].setAttribute("rel", relvalue) ultags[i].parentNode.style.backgroundImage=(action=="expand")? "url("+ddtreemenu.openfolder+")" : "url("+ddtreemenu.closefolder+")" } } ddtreemenu.rememberstate=function(treeid, durationdays){ //store index of opened ULs relative to other ULs in Tree into cookie var ultags=document.getElementById(treeid).getElementsByTagName("ul") var openuls=new Array() for (var i=0; i<ultags.length; i++){ if (ultags[i].getAttribute("rel")=="open") openuls[openuls.length]=i //save the index of the opened UL (relative to the entire list of ULs) as an array element } if (openuls.length==0) //if there are no opened ULs to save/persist openuls[0]="none open" //set array value to string to simply indicate all ULs should persist with state being closed ddtreemenu.setCookie(treeid, openuls.join(","), durationdays) //populate cookie with value treeid=1,2,3 etc (where 1,2... are the indexes of the opened ULs) } ////A few utility functions below////////////////////// ddtreemenu.getCookie=function(Name){ //get cookie value var re=new RegExp(Name+"=[^;]+", "i"); //construct RE to search for target name/value pair if (document.cookie.match(re)) //if cookie found return document.cookie.match(re)[0].split("=")[1] //return its value return "" } ddtreemenu.setCookie=function(name, value, days){ //set cookei value var expireDate = new Date() //set "expstring" to either future or past date, to set or delete cookie, respectively var expstring=expireDate.setDate(expireDate.getDate()+parseInt(days)) document.cookie = name+"="+value+"; expires="+expireDate.toGMTString()+"; path=/"; } ddtreemenu.searcharray=function(thearray, value){ //searches an array for the entered value. If found, delete value from array var isfound=false for (var i=0; i<thearray.length; i++){ if (thearray[i]==value){ isfound=true thearray.shift() //delete this element from array for efficiency sake break } } return isfound } ddtreemenu.preventpropagate=function(e){ //prevent action from bubbling upwards if (typeof e!="undefined") e.stopPropagation() else event.cancelBubble=true } ddtreemenu.dotask=function(target, functionref, tasktype){ //assign a function to execute to an event handler (ie: onunload) var tasktype=(window.addEventListener)? tasktype : "on"+tasktype if (target.addEventListener) target.addEventListener(tasktype, functionref, false) else if (target.attachEvent) target.attachEvent(tasktype, functionref) } Thank you! Vicky
-
Sending php contact form without email request
Crikey - what an easy fix - many thanks Wickham for taking the time to look through that. The options_callback.php does include an email address, but for some reason, it's obviously not recognising it.
-
Sending php contact form without email request
Having amended the outdated code, it still isn't making any difference. The script works on the page, but it's just not sending through the message to my email address, and I'm not sure what changes I need to make. On a different page when I specify that the email address is required, it's fine, as also completes the 'From' field. Any tips would be gratefully accepted. Here's the new code: <? /* Silentum FormSend v1.5.0 Modified January 1, 2009 formsend.php copyright 2005-2009 "HyperSilence" */ include("options_callback.php"); $today = date("F d, Y / h:i:sa"); $subject = "Call Back Form"; $name = $_POST["name"]; $phone = $_POST["phone"]; $check = $_POST["message"]; $message = $today."\n\nName: ".strip_tags(stripslashes($_POST["name"]))."\n\nPhone: ".strip_tags(stripslashes($_POST["phone"]))."\nMessage: ".strip_tags(stripslashes($_POST["message"]))."\nIP Address: ".$_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]; $headers = "From: vicky@mardall.co.uk" . "\r\n" . "Reply-To: vicky@mardall.co.uk" . "\r\n" . "X-Mailer: PHP/" . phpversion(); if($name == "") { header("Location: ".$form_file."?msg=1"); exit; } elseif($phone_required == true && $subject != "" && $phone == "") { header("Location: ".$form_file."?msg=2"); exit; } elseif(strlen($message) >= $maximum_characters && $subject != "") { header("Location: ".$form_file."?msg=6"); exit; } else { mail($subject, $message, $headers); header("Location: ".$form_file."?msg=7"); } ?>
-
Sending php contact form without email request
HI Jay Thank you for pointing that out - I'll look into it. The script was updated in January 2009, so I thought it couldn't be too out of date. Many thanks for the link. I'll amend everything accordingly.
-
Sending php contact form without email request
Hi, many thanks for the reply. I tried to implement this, but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if I have implemented it correctly. This is how I tried it: $headers = "From: <myemailaddress@domain.com>" . "\r\n" . "Reply-To: myemailaddress@domain.com" . "\r\n" . "X-Mailer: PHP/" . phpversion();
-
Sending php contact form without email request
Hi, I'm pretty hopeless with PHP, but have managed to create a really decent contact form using a mixture of uni-form for the layout and accessibility and FormSend for the script. I've just tried to modify the script for a call back form where I literally am requesting a name, phone number and an optional message field. It all works perfectly, and the 'status' messages appear fine, but I'm not receiving the notification of the form submissions. I'm sure that it's in the $headers of the php file where I am going wrong. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. The script I am using is as follows: <? /* Silentum FormSend v1.5.0 Modified January 1, 2009 formsend.php copyright 2005-2009 "HyperSilence" */ include("options_callback.php"); $today = date("F d, Y / h:i:sa"); $subject = "Call Back Form"; $name = $HTTP_POST_VARS["name"]; $phone = $HTTP_POST_VARS["phone"]; $check = $HTTP_POST_VARS["message"]; $message = $today."\n\nName: ".strip_tags(stripslashes($HTTP_POST_VARS["name"]))."\n\nPhone: ".strip_tags(stripslashes($HTTP_POST_VARS["phone"]))."\nMessage: ".strip_tags(stripslashes($HTTP_POST_VARS["message"]))."\nIP Address: ".$_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]; $headers = "From: myemailaddress@domain.com" . "\r\n" . "Reply-To: myemailaddress@domain.com" . "\r\n" . "X-Mailer: PHP/" . phpversion(); if(preg_match("/^[\.0-9a-z_-]{1,}@[\.0-9a-z-]{1,}\.[a-z]{1,}$/si", $email)) $valid = "1"; else $valid = "0"; if($name == "") { header("Location: ".$form_file."?msg=1"); exit; } elseif($phone_required == true && $subject != "" && $phone == "") { header("Location: ".$form_file."?msg=2"); exit; } elseif(strlen($message) >= $maximum_characters && $subject != "") { header("Location: ".$form_file."?msg=3"); exit; } else { mail($subject, $message, $headers); header("Location: ".$form_file."?msg=4"); } ?> I've tried many variations, such as stripping out the $headers entirely, but I'm still not receiving the notifications. Many thanks in advance for any tips. All the best Vicky
-
Javascript collapsible tree
To save anyone time who may wish to post, I have fixed this problem now thanks to a really helpful guy on the DD forum. Thanks for taking the time to read this post anyway.
-
Javascript collapsible tree
Hi, I am using code from Dynamic Drive to create a list which is expandable (a collapsible tree). The script is great, but I need to modify it slightly for our needs, and I just can't work out how - I'm sure it's straightfoward, but the .js is like doubledutch to me. The draft page is here: http://www.cyrrus.co.uk/capabilities.php It all works fine, but I need to be able to expand all subfolders when the first level is clicked upon. At the moment, the user needs to click on each lower level to expand them. So for example, when the ATM item is clicked, the Control Tower and Airfield Operation items also open. This is the link to the original code: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/navigate1.htm - I haven't changed anything in the .js or .css file. Any direction would be great, or if anyone has any ideas of a better way to do it, I'd be really grateful. Many thanks Vicky
-
CSS dropdown hover issue
So logical when you put it that way, but it would have taken me ages to come up with that! Thank you so much - that now works perfectly - you're a genius. I really appreciate your help. Many thanks Vicky
-
CSS dropdown hover issue
Hi Ben Thanks so much for looking at that for me. You were right, that is why it wasn't working properly. However, having now switched it over to styling the <a> rather than the <li> means that the 'active' colour no longer works, ie: this part of the code: <li <?php if ($thisPage=="Capabilities") echo " class=\"active\""; ?>><a href="#">Capabilities</a> <ul> <li><a href="#">Safety Management</a></li> <li><a href="#">Risk Management</a></li> <li><a href="#">Project Management</a></li> <li><a href="#">Business Development</a></li> <li><a href="#">Bid Support</a></li> </ul> </li> I'm just looking at a fix now so I'll let you know if I work it out! Many thanks again Vicky
-
CSS dropdown hover issue
Hi, I nearly always use PHP includes for my navigational links to aid changes and maintenance to the site, and so the correct menu item is easily identifiable as the 'current' item. However, when I'm trying to apply that principle to this page (http://www.azuremarketing.com/clients/ocsl/web/safety-management.php), the whole of the dropdown menu appears to be 'selected'. I'm sure there's an easy work around, but I've just looked at it too much. I'd be really grateful if someone had any ideas about how I can rectify this (the 'capabilities' category is correct to look 'current', but the others in the dropdown box should be white). Any tips would be appreciated. Many thanks Vicky
-
IE7 random behaviour
Hi I'm really confused about a problem which is occurring with this page: http://www.trustredline.co.uk/courses.php The dropdown menus (from the Courses and Clients main nav tab) work fine across IE6, IE7 and FF on my system (Windows XP) and on that of several other laptops and computers of friends and colleagues who have checked it. But on 2 of the computers of people who work for this company, the dropdown menu on this page shifts left and down so the links become unclickable. I can't reproduce the problem on my system which is making it difficult to test and fix. The dropdowns use the css hover.htc method: http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/csshover.html (IE7 doesn't require the hover.htc file to be called upon - it's only an IE6 fix.) Does anyone have any idea why it would behave differently on the same version of the browser. To make it even more confusing, the problem seems to be intermittent on their machines, ie. sometimes it works fine, but at other times it doesn't. It also only seems to happen on the 2 pages which have dropdown menus associated with them. If anyone was able to give me any pointers as to what the problem may be, I'd be really grateful. I have spent hours and hours trying to figure out where the problem may lie, so I'd be delighted if someone was able to point me in the right direction. Or if the dropdowns correctly/incorrectly on that page, I'd be really grateful to know what OS you're using so I can start narrowing the options down a bit. Thanks in advance for any help/advice/pointers. Vicky
-
Firefox clear:both issue
Thanks for your replies BlueDreamer and EvSoul - that worked perfectly. Why didn't I think of using a list sooner...! Many thanks for your perfect code BlueDreamer - it worked a treat. All the best Vicky