Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Tax issues when working for international clients

Recommended Posts


I plan to start working freelance. And I have this question that stops me... What do you do with sale taxes when you have an international client. I am EU-based, so I understand what to do with VAT. But what should I do if my client is from Japan? I mean the VAT is 0. But if I have a Japanese client, I will be providing services to Japan. Does this mean that I need to know Japanese sales tax regulations and when I have to register there? Most likely there are high thresholds for sales taxes, but do I really need to check it every time I have a new client?

I am quite confused because seems like no one really pays attention to where the client is from. So maybe I am completely missing something here... Also, I couldn't find any companies that would handle all the GST/VAT issues for freelancers. There are plenty of services that do that for digital services and physical goods. But they won't agree to work with regular services, because the law is different.

Any advice?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
    • Most Online

    Newest Member
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts