Sign in to follow this  
fleur

Invidia or GeForce

Hello!

On my new job we seach for new computer for designer. And we can't decide what video card is better Invidia or GeForce? I have heard that Invidia is better for design and colors , GeForce - for game. I am strongly need your advice what choice should we make and if possible tell me what model is better for now?

Thank you for any advice!

Hello!

On my new job we seach for new computer for designer. And we can't decide what video card is better Invidia or GeForce? I have heard that Invidia is better for design and colors , GeForce - for game. I am strongly need your advice what choice should we make and if possible tell me what model is better for now?

Thank you for any advice!

GeForce is a division of Nvidia (not Invidia :) ), designed for gaming-focussed computers. I've never bought anything other than Nvidia GeForce graphics cards, and speaking from first-hand experience, you can buy a cheap GeForce card (let's say for £50) which will perform optimally with graphics designing. You could buy the latest GeForce card, but hardware becomes obsolete so quickly these days. You could invest in a cheap, slightly old card from 2009/2010/2011, which will fulfill typical designing tasks like running Photoshop, Illustrator etc. I currently own an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti, which is purpose-built for hardcore gaming, but doesn't mean it can't be used for graphics design. In the end, a graphics card is never made for a single purpose.

Two main competitors are ATI and nVidia
You will find mainly ATI graphic cards in AMD chip based computers and nVidia in pretty much everything else, your phone laptops and many more modern computer based equipment,

You need first find out which software you are running and will you be running more than one screen, will it be 3D graphics, Video?

You need to think about processor speed! Ram and obviously a decent graphic cards, they start from £30 and go over £1000.

What is your budget?

Thank you for answers! My chief was speaking about GeForce too. Add to that its cheaper then Quadro. I will speak with him about ATI cards too. I am going to design (Photoshop, Illustrator) and coding on this computer. We was thinking about budget. Chief said that he can spend on computer around 1000 dollars (its about 35 000 rubles in Russia and 1000 dollars or less on monitor) but seach for cheaper choice as always :)

To be honest unles we are talking GBP £ i can't advise lol,

You should really be looking at these three key components

1) Processor speed i5 minimum and i7 extreme better

2) Graphics card, get a really good one maybe something with CUDA if you are running the latest CS6 package, as it has parallel compatibility it will use every bit of power from CPU and GPU, otherwise there are plenty of decent graphic cards out there for about £100+ maybe for a GeForce 650+ onwards range if you are on a bit of a budget.

3) A really nice high end monitor to take advantage of the awesome graphics which the machine will produce...

Also recommend a minimum 4GB ram but you can always add more later that is not a problem, there are different grades obviously some perform quicker than others, but in reality you will never see the difference unless you are benchmarking for gaming! so just buy some decent quality ram. But buying a good Processor first will save you a lot of hassle, as it is always cheaper and easier to upgrade a Graphics card than it is to a replace the processor.

Hope this helps, I use to sell laptops not anymore thank god! some customers are were just downright...... i wont say it lol

But buying a good Processor first will save you a lot of hassle, as it is always cheaper and easier to upgrade a Graphics card than it is to a replace the processor.

Totally agree, a solid mobo and processor is the best way forward. I just built a new box (a week or so ago) and I went for;

1. Intel i5 4670K (Haswell) processor
  2. Asus Z87 Socket 1150 motherboard
  3. GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost (2048)
  4. SSD!

I only went for the GTX 650 Ti Boost version as I play games at lunch ;)

I run this all day long with most programs open (MS Outlook all the way to PhotoShop etc), multiple browsers with multiple tabs etc (the lazy way) and overall i'm impressed. I only went for 8GB DDR3 at the moment but it runs around 40 - 45% RAM use by the end of the day, from around 12 - 15% use when I first login.

Good luck shopping!

Thank you for advice! Now I understand what we need. Today we bought monitor Nec and next week we will buy sistem block. :)

Actually my sister is happily running photoshop on her ACER laptop. OK, it's not lightning fast but works, you just need to wait a few seconds. Coding for web should work fine with even the most minimalistic configuration.

(I believe all coders should use the minimum system requirements of Windows. The guy developed XviD used a 200 Mhz Pentium even in 2003.)

Agreed I find you don't need too much for developing if you're careful to keep clearing down the build up of RAM. When I upgraded I came from a Intel E8400 Duel Core with a GTS 250 and 4GB DDR2 RAM which was fine; albeit a touch slow loading :D

Actually my sister is happily running photoshop on her ACER laptop. OK, it's not lightning fast but works, you just need to wait a few seconds. Coding for web should work fine with even the most minimalistic configuration.

(I believe all coders should use the minimum system requirements of Windows. The guy developed XviD used a 200 Mhz Pentium even in 2003.)

Indeed, I've run Photoshop for years, before i3 was even scribbled on a handkerchief, let alone i5 or i7. From 2009 to 2012 I used Photoshop every day on a basic Dell Inspiron with an adorably small processor and on-board graphics. The message being, it really, really doesn't matter if your hardware is top-spec or not, for basic graphics design.