November 19, 201213 yr I have a quick question from a client about how keywords work on Google. Basically it relates to similar words. For example, say I have a gaming site. The words 'gamer', 'games', 'video games' appear on it but I want the site to show up if someone searches for gaming as well. Will Google do that or will it only use the words that it can find on the page? Thanks.
November 19, 201213 yr Try and build that keyword into the SEO campaign. Google picks up on keyword relationships but it won't rank your website for variants of a keyword if it's not within the document or backlinks. It's like asking Google to rank a website that is about fruit for Apples because you've targeted for the keyword "Banana". But if you put it in the text of the website and backlinks then you'll rank for it The term Gamer could mean something completely different to the term Gaming. Google determines this by looking at relationships between various words on a website. I hope that makes sense? If it's something you're actively targeting, then chuck it into the campaign.
November 19, 201213 yr Author I think so, if I search for 'gaming', my website won't rank unless that word is in the document or backlinks? What will Google do in terms of the relationships that it picks up?
November 19, 201213 yr Pretty much. Google is intuitive but it won't assume your website is relevant to Gaming, just because it's relevant to gamers and video games. Google will look at the text on your website and build up a relationship between words. So you don't have to have "Web Design London" all the way through a website for it to get picked up as a term. You could have: We are an amazing London company offering web design Google will then be able to pick out the words London, web and design. By having a few instances of these closely proximity words, Google will then establish that your website is relevant to "Web Design London" If that makes sense? It just can't start ranking your website for variations of a word simply because they're related to your website. Absolutely no instance of that word in your on page or off page SEO and it won't rank for it.
November 19, 201213 yr Author Makes perfect sense and so does the reasoning behind it. I'll inform my client, thanks for the help!
March 21, 201313 yr Try to follow the strategy, sure it's will helps you. You can choose SEO techniques and either search it other techniques,which one is better.
March 23, 201313 yr If you already have 'gamer', 'games' and 'video games' appearing throughout your site then I'd assume 'gaming' would appear somewhere on there to. Unless you're referring specifically to the keywords tag that google no longer supports: [oops, can't post link] Google has already crawled millions of gaming websites so it knows that those words already appear together on the vast majority of sites, therefore it would know they were related even if you didn't make it abundantly obvious on your site. Say you had a news section, I'd say that might be called 'Gaming News' so that's already one occurrence (but yeh, add it to the millions of other occurrences out there) Content is king at the end of the day, if there's plenty of gaming related content then google will know your site's about games and all things related. I don't suppose many people search 'gaming' on it's own but when I do on uk the third link down is the wikipedia page for 'gamers' even though there's also one for 'gaming' but that's nowhere to be seen. It doesn't work solely on an exact match basis even when there is one. Finally, tell your client not to forget Bing!! Yeh it's not as popular but think of alllllll the people using the internet at work and school who have their homepage set to Bing and don't have the admin privileges to change it. Have fun
April 4, 201313 yr I have a quick question from a client about how keywords work on Google. Basically it relates to similar words. For example, say I have a gaming site. The words 'gamer', 'games', 'video games' appear on it but I want the site to show up if someone searches for gaming as well. Will Google do that or will it only use the words that it can find on the page? Thanks. For getting high ranking on Google SERPS you should definitely include the keywords like gaming(in your example) in your meta tags or in your website contents. If you don’t include it than it may display on Google SERPS(by relationships between various words on a website) but it will never get high ranking on Google SERPS. Other websites which precisely include gaming keyword in their meta tags or website contents will get high rank for gaming keyword than the website which don’t include the gaming keyword.
June 24, 201313 yr Google is smart enough to detect the theme of the website and the keyword variations. SO, if you have enough backlinks pointing to the website with the aforementioned keywords and naturally you may rank top.
Create an account or sign in to comment