Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who writes the text content on your sites?

Featured Replies

While working on a few sites, some in my spare time, some at work, I regularly have the problem of not knowing what to write in spaces reserved for text.

 

I'm sure there are some people who will say, "Well, if you had a good enough understanding of the business you were designing this site for, you'd know what to write and how to write it."

 

My argument against that is this, I am not a writer. I may have a very good understanding of the business from the point of view of designing software to meet their needs but I'm not a PR professional.

 

So how do you pros do it? Do you just write it yourself and tweak until the client is happy, get the client to write it or hire someone with advertising/PR skills?

 

Cheers.

Edited by bobble14988

Content is the killer always. When I quote I always state that the content is to be provided by the client. In addition if they want me to do it then I farm it to a copywriter and then bill the client (+10%).

 

Clients always think their 'web designer' is also their marketing advisor for everything, their inhouse technical support when their pc isn't working and general business gofer. With all clients I make sure to draw a big old line in the ground before commencing work ... I have been burned before by clients 'overusing' my friendly nature.

  • Author

The distinction you have mentioned between a web designer and a marketing advisor is interesting.

 

I studied computer science, not design. Although I have an eye for good design, I have never considered myself a designer - only a software engineer - and as such I find it challenging coming up with original and creative designs for sites.

 

Usually, would site design (i.e. the look and feel of the site) be "farmed out", as you say, to a professional designer or would it be more common to see the person who is scripting the site also designing it?

Usually, would site design (i.e. the look and feel of the site) be "farmed out", as you say, to a professional designer or would it be more common to see the person who is scripting the site also designing it?

 

For my business I do not do everything. Knowing where your strengths and weaknesses are is an asset. For me I started life as a wall artist, designing nightclub flyers. What I do is the website logic (how it is going to work, what should happen when user clicks x etc, root seo methods etc) and the concept / interface design. I also code the html, css and play with jQuery but that's where I stop. I then farm all php, ssl, mysql and the like to my coder guru for online shops, cms etc. He has a computer science degree but will freely admit he can't draw a circle however together we make some good sites.

 

It's common for a jack of all trades however I have found that in the highbrow design companies they have a specialist for each task. I'm not having a dig at all rounders just that in my case my brain can only hold so much info and I have only so much time to progress my skills. The question is when you have time to look at new things to add to your tool kit do you play with the latest photoshop, pick up on html5 or work on the latest Ubuntu release? I know for sure I don't have the time to do all three and still get my work done :D

Usually, would site design (i.e. the look and feel of the site) be "farmed out", as you say, to a professional designer or would it be more common to see the person who is scripting the site also designing it?

 

It's certainly more common for the developer to do it themselves, but that's rarely the right answer. If you are strapped for cash and need a design to bring a product to market, a template can be a viable option until you can afford a designer. Otherwise the best option will always be to pay a professional designer.

 

I haven't met many developers that are good enough designers to sell their services. I know they exist but they are absolutely the exception to the rule.

I outsource to a copywriter if budget allows, otherwise the client provides their own conent. I am crap with words :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.