Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

'Stretching' Text?

Featured Replies

If I have a container which is 620px wide and I want the text in a h1 tag to span this width exactly, what is the easiest way to do this?

 

:)

You can use text-align: justify; in a h1 tag (or p, li tag, etc.).

 

However, I've found that if you only have one line of text that isn't enough to reach the end of the line, it doesn't stretch. Similarly if you have a lot of text, all the lines except the last one justify.

 

Try word-spacing if you only have a little text

h1 { word-spacing: 30px; }

http://www.w3schools...ord-spacing.asp

Use em instead of px for the container of the h1 tag (or the h1 tag) and the word-spacing if you have a fluid width page.

 

Otherwise, with only a little text, you could adjust the letter spacing but it might look odd.

h1 { letter-spacing: 5px; }

 

Try both word-spacing and letter-spacing for an even spread (never tried it myself).

Edited by Wickham

  • Author

Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated as always. I was also put onto a tool called the Big Text Wizard http://www.zachleat.com/bigtext/demo/. I managed to do what I wanted and in Firefox it works fine when resized … However, in Safari or Chrome the results differ at the two smallest breakpoints which I don't understand. I'm working from the Skeleton Grid so there is already a reset in there so I can't see were the problem would be. I have put up and example of what I mean @ http://jailbirds.co.uk/.

Edited by Craig Bibby

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.