Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Review Desk-Apps

Featured Replies

Hi there, my new project is about a website where you can find online alternatives for some windows applications you use. The mainly idea is that a lot of you are taking the usb flash drive with you with all of your apps when you are at school, work, etc. But what do you do when you forget it at home or lose it? Well, on this website I'm trying to create a free alternative of those apps so you can use them everytime, everywhere without a data loss.

 

The website URL is http://www.desk-apps.com/

You will also find a demo account you can use it to try.

 

Any idea, suggestion, criticize is welcome.

 

Thanks!

Edited by Sim

I .. like it .. which is weird because I normally really don't like any site that attempts to replicate other bits of computer UI.

 

The design needs a little work though.

 

1.) The background image is 2.6Mb, that's just far too big. There are many repeatable wood-effect images available out there.. use one of those. (http://subtlepatterns.com has a few I think)

 

2.) The general box design for the login/apps isn't great. The orange doesn't fit and the padded edges with rounded corners is distracting against what is quite a minimalist/straight edge/classy background look. I'd keep the white but go square, go subtle.. essentially go Metro

 

3.) The header bar needs a bit of work. There should be a lot more information and a more logical separation of do in the virtual world stuff and do to the virtual world stuff. 'AddApps' would be IN the virtual world, turn off would be TO the virtual world.

  • Author

Thanks for the review.

 

It's a good ideea with the metro design. I will try to do my best to make it, even if I'm not so good at design.

Until then, I made some minor changes based on your review. I converted the background from PNG to JPEG and now it's less than 900 KB (maybe it's to big but it's 1920x1200 to fit all the resolutions). I will search for some repeatable backgrounds as you said. I've also removed the rounded corners for the login box and the apps window.

 

And...

The header bar needs a bit of work. There should be a lot more information and a more logical separation of do in the virtual world stuff and do to the virtual world stuff. 'AddApps' would be IN the virtual world, turn off would be TO the virtual world.

I'm not sure I understand. :D

I don't like the login screen icon and the form fields are too close together. Maybe something a little more simplistic with the icon? To show you what I mean:

 

 

fvsdcrbgtefdvs.jpg

 

Also, I didn't know what the demo and power sign in the right hand side were for until I clicked on them.

Edited by Aceoko

  • Author

I've changed the logo image with a simplistic one, as you said, but a little more darker.

 

And those logins I think are obvious what they do :D

 

Thanks!

Nice! This is fun! Really like your idea.

 

When is it going for release?

 

and an idea is: full view shortcut button?

 

this can really be a thing.

  • Author

Nice! This is fun! Really like your idea.

Thanks!

 

When is it going for release?

Well, I think it's already released. I will add more apps in time.

 

and an idea is: full view shortcut button?

After reading this I've tried to press F11 to make it on full screen and it looks awsome :D I will try to add also a shortcut button on the site. I saw somewhere that on Google Chrome works.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.