Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Editing themes for Wordpress - what is the best and most effective way?

Featured Replies

Hi all,

 

I am just getting to grips with wordpress and am looking at changing themes. I started off by changing the current one.. then thought I would have a look at the freeware ones available. I found one that half suited my needs and am in the process of changing the css in dreamweaver.

 

But I would like to ask you guys and girls what method you use and recommend.

 

 

Thank you in advance.

 

Andy

I highly recommend having a flick through the Wordpress Codex as it's pretty much the go-to guide for Wordpress related information.

I highly recommend having a flick through the Wordpress Codex as it's pretty much the go-to guide for Wordpress related information.

 

What he said :D

A good way to start is to download one of the many 'blank' themes, such as starkers. Then you can apply a few style rules and take it from there.

I'm in a similar situation, just started making my own template now. Am I missing something or is it really as easy as it seems? All other custom templates I've made for forums etc have be much harder.

 

Sorry if I'm throwing the thread off topic a bit, but what's your opinion to using wordpress to power a full website? I'm not sure if I'm better off creating static xhtml pages for everything else except the blog or use the pages functionality.

It is as easy as it seems. I find wordpress one of the friendliest CMS/Blog packages to personalise. You can create WP templates for your 'static' pages, which will give you the freedom to do what you want with them, but keep them as part of the unified whole of the wordpress system. It's pretty flexible.

  • Author

Thanks for all your replies dude.. I found a great theme and only modified it a little to get what I wanted :) I shall try to do a pure redesign soon.. :)

I'm in a similar situation, just started making my own template now. Am I missing something or is it really as easy as it seems? All other custom templates I've made for forums etc have be much harder.

 

Sorry if I'm throwing the thread off topic a bit, but what's your opinion to using wordpress to power a full website? I'm not sure if I'm better off creating static xhtml pages for everything else except the blog or use the pages functionality.

 

I echo shubox - it's quite easy. A little bit of PHP knowledge helps (the more the better, obviously) and you should be proficient with changing the look of a site using only the stylesheet, but otherwise it's easy enough to do. Also, the community is massive so someone will always be able to help if you get stuck.

 

WordPress is great as a CMS too. It's what I use for most of my CMS-related projects.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.