August 25, 201115 yr Hi, This is a work in progress so is not the finished article. NB. I haven't tested it on any other browser other than Chrome at the moment, so no doubt there will be issues with I.E. I was wondering if someone could maybe give me a hand, another set of eyes might point me in the right direction as i'm just wondering where to go next! Hosting Index Template: http://www.designerhost.co.uk/hosting4/index-hosting.html Normal Page Template: http://www.designerhost.co.uk/hosting4/index.html Plans Template: http://www.designerhost.co.uk/hosting4/hosting4plans.html It makes use of Jquery with: Font Replacement (maybe going to change this from cufon and use @font-face) Menu Animation Banner Slider And also has an ajax domain checking script that checks the availability. Any words and critique appreciated.
August 25, 201115 yr The contrast is a major issue. Some of the text is very difficult to read and the sub menus are difficult to see too. They just don't distinguish from the page clearly enough. Why are you using cufon? Font-face is good enough now and saves you on javascript. The compare plans page is a little too cluttered for me. There's too many different elements vying for my attention. The focus should absolutely be on the hosting packages. Generally speaking, it's ok and pleasant enough, just a little plain, lacking in attention to detail, and lacking quite badly with usability. Good luck with your next iteration!
August 25, 201115 yr I like nice and clean however would change the colour on hover for the nav bar also I would change the lobster font under "our services" as its small doesn't look to great apart from that I really like it
August 25, 201115 yr Author The contrast is a major issue. Some of the text is very difficult to read and the sub menus are difficult to see too. They just don't distinguish from the page clearly enough. I'll work on that, maybe making the text darker. I didn't really like the use of a border round the submenu so i'll maybe experiment with changing them to the orange used on other parts of the site. All gradients on the site are css, which seems to result in a horrible validation page. Why are you using cufon? Font-face is good enough now and saves you on javascript. Yeah, I will be changing that. The compare plans page is a little too cluttered for me. There's too many different elements vying for my attention. The focus should absolutely be on the hosting packages. http://www.designerhost.co.uk/hosting4/hosting4plans.html ? I didn't think there was a great deal on it, just a banner, plans and services area. however would change the colour on hover for the nav bar The text colour on hover, or the background gradient?
August 25, 201115 yr stylewise it's completely wrong. I can not imagine a hosting company wesite made in retro style.
August 25, 201115 yr stylewise it's completely wrong. I can not imagine a hosting company wesite made in retro style. I think I gotta agree with this. It's not ugly or anything, it just doesn't seem appropriate for the application.
August 25, 201115 yr Author stylewise it's completely wrong. I can not imagine a hosting company wesite made in retro style. Easy enough to re-style it into a business template then, can always keep the pricing table if needed. It was the page here: http://www.designerhost.co.uk/hosting4/index.html that I was really looking for opinions on layout, especially the sidebar, what to do with it. Make it into an ordinary business homepage. Maybe you could advise?
August 25, 201115 yr the top navigation looks out of place, those large grey buttons dont make sense. The nav should be aligned with the right edge. Also give the whole content a bit more space on sides, padding on left and right edges seems very tight comparing to padding between columns. In your sidebar you have two thumbnails under Latest projects. This is also rather illogical for a hosting comany website, they would have their latest projects displayed as text links. hope this helps Edited August 25, 201115 yr by socreative
August 25, 201115 yr Author the top navigation looks out of place and just wrong really, those large grey buttons dont make sense. The nav should be aligned with the right edge. Also give the whole content a bit more space on sides, padding on left and right edges seems very tight comparing to padding between columns. In your sidebar you have two thumbnails under Latest projects. This is also rather illogical for a hosting comany website, they would have their latest projects displayed as text links. hope this helps The idea of that page was to look more like a business template so it could be used for something other than hosting. I've taken your other points on board though, as with everyone else's. I'll work on these changes and report back
August 27, 201115 yr Your biggest problem right now is the lack of appropriate padding/margins/whitespace. You've done a pretty good job spacing things out vertically, but the edges are really cramped. The navigation menu is way too nebulous right now... it needs to be tightened up or shored up with some more visual elements. It can work as is, just too far apart and too much whitespace to feel like a nav section. The font-size in the "Our Services" section is too small and there isn't nearly enough space between lines to be comfortable. The section at the bottom needs to be spaced out a bit more horizontally. Aesthetically it's quite pleasing (though I HATE Lobster), but as has been said people don't want to see a retro host, they want a host that has current, top of the line technology and a very professional, reliable image. It could certainly turn into a solid business template, though.
Create an account or sign in to comment