March 3, 200818 yr I don't believe I've seen this thread before on the forum, so I thought I'd start one up. What are your top OS X applications? It doesn't have to just be for web development; list anything you find useful on a regular basis! I'll start the ball rolling with my top web development applications. I'm deliberately going to miss out well known apps like iWork, Firefox, etc. I'll be updating this list often with new categories and applications. Rob ---------------------------- Alarm clocks Awaken - Set your Mac to wake up at a specific time and play music from your iTunes playlist. This is such a cool way to wake up in the morning. Anti-virus ClamXav - You can never be too complacent. This app lets you scan your Mac for any dodgy goings on. Blogging MarsEdit - Blog to your web site, from the comfort of your desktop. Communication Adium - Multiple IM client. Access your AIM, Yahoo, MSN (etc) accounts from one app. Colloquy - IRC client Twitterrific - Pretty app that lets you post and receive Twitter tweets on your desktop. Downloading NZB Drop - Extremely small and lightweight Usenet download client. Transmission - Small and lightweight BitTorrent download client. Lovely UI as well. Finances/Money Cha-Ching - Keep track of your finances, set budgets, and control multiple accounts. Nice interface. Font management Linotype FontExplorer X - Think of iTunes, but for fonts. This app lets you organise and view your installed fonts, and also has a nice in-built shopping system. GTD/Organisation Hazel - Your own personal maid to do all the housework on your Mac. This app will automatically follow rules you set, moving, deleting or tidying up files. Things - Absolutely stunning GTD app. As simple as it needs to be, but no simpler. This app will really help you to become more organised. Media libraries Delicious Library - One of the prettiest apps around. This app lets you store and organise all your CD's, books and DVD's. The ability to 'scan' your products in using the barcode and the Mac iSight is worth trying this out alone! Music / iTunes Plugins CoverSutra - Gives you full control of your iTunes library from the menu bar/keyboard shortcuts. The search feature is worth the cost of this app alone! FStream - Small and lightweight internet radio. It links up with ShoutCast and iTunes radio stations. You can also record what you hear. Jaikoz - Tag your music files from information stored in the Musicbrainz database, very, very useful if you have wrongly/badly named files. Last.fm - Links up with your Last.fm account and scrobbles all the music you listen to, to your profile. PandoraJam - Desktop interface for the amazing Pandora internet radio service. I don't think this works outside of the US anymore. Utilities 1password - The solution for storing all your web forms, web passwords, and any other piece of personal information. Integrates smoothly with Safari, Firefox and a few other browsers. AppFresh - Checks all your applications and tells you if there are any updates available. Extremely useful if you have a lot of apps! AppZapper - "The Uninstaller Apple Forgot", 'nuff said! CandyBar - Customise and organise your icons. Trust Panic to produce another beautiful app. Caffeine - Puts an icon on your menu bar, click it, and your Mac won't automagically go to sleep. Useful if you want to watch a long movie on a website. Flickr Uploadr - I was debating what category to put this one in. It's the official upload tool from Flickr. A must, if you use Flickr regularly. iFreeMem - Cleans ups your inactive RAM, which in turn allows the Mac to run smoother. Little Snitch - This is another must. It controls internet access to your Mac, per application. Allow or deny specific ports, or entire applications, from accessing the internet. It also lets you know if something is secretly phoning home, or doing something equally suspect. Mozy - Free online backup, the OS X app is discrete and easy to use. Quicksilver - This is always the first app I install on the Mac. It it a launcher application, controlled by the keyboard. It is usually used to launch applications, manage your iTunes, etc. It can be customised and set up to do nearly anything you want, though. Web development Coda - This beauty takes care of FTP, editing, CSS, previewing, and even has some reference books packaged inside. It's one of the most useful apps I have come across. TextMate - Advanced text editor. This is my weapon of choice for basic text editing, specifically with server side scripts. The bundles feature is extremely useful, and it can even be integrated with Subversion. MAMP - A personal development web server on your mac. Comes with Apache, PHP, MySQL, and a bunch of other stuff. It's all run from one folder, so it's dead easy backup/restore. xScope - Nifty little app that sits in your menu bar. It has a variety of features that lets you accurately measure items on your screen, set guidelines over your screen, and see how things would look like in different browsers, amongst others. Color Picker Pro - While not the most amazing app on the list, this little app is great for grabbing hex values quickly.
March 3, 200818 yr When my Mac was alive, I used to think very highly of Camino (web browser) Smultron (text editor) which when used with Cyberduck allowed me to edit files from and save direct to server MAMP was invaluable Thunderbird (always hated Mac Mail!)
March 3, 200818 yr In terms of stuff that's not web based (because I don't know enough about it yet!) Writeroom If you get distracted when you're writing, use this. It's a green-screen (configurable) word processor that does everything you need and nothing you don't. Genius in a dmg Tunebar Because I hate iTunes interface when working on anything other than just mucking about on the Mac Think Need to concentrate on what you're doing - use this. Productivity in the click of a mouse Deep Vacuum When you need to download an entire website. There are any mainstream ones like Adium, Snap Pro etc...
March 4, 200818 yr Everything I use: http://osx.iusethis.com/user/creativeburst Mainly I use: Textmate MAMP TERMINAL
March 15, 200818 yr Author Added Downloading, Communication, and Music / iTunes Plugins, to first post. Rob
March 16, 200818 yr NetNewsWire for RSS; CyberDuck (with TextMate) for FTP/Text Editing, Coda for general web design, Adobe Fireworks for image editing.
March 21, 200818 yr for web design: Transmit, BBedit, CSSEdit Coda combines all 3 for just about everything else: max(with cdparanoia) and itunes(ripping and audio player) logic studio ms office stickies ! most of the de-facto stuff
March 23, 200818 yr MS Entourage Pages Numbers/Excel Powerpoint MSN iChat Dreamweaver CS3 Photoshop CS3 Ext Fireworks CS3 Flash CS3 Pro Illustrator CS3 InDesign CS3 Filezilla iTunes Limewire Garageband iWeb (For quick temporary pages for my sites, so I always have a presence ) Safari Tooble (for downloading videos from youtube) Front Row Fugu Popcorn Photobooth Preview :@ Hate it!!! lol Flip4Mac I think that's it I'll update when I think of more
March 24, 200818 yr Author Added Alarm clocks, Anti-virus, Blogging, Finances/Money, Font browsing, GTD/Organisation and Media Libraries categories to first post.
Create an account or sign in to comment