Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

index.htm without any toolbar etc

Featured Replies

Hello all,

 

i am trying to create a page that will live locally on the desktop that when opened will dsiplay my html content but with no tool bars or buttons at all. it needs to be a bit like a pop up that just displays content. i have good html skills but no javascript skills. can this be done in just html? if so how?

 

many thanks

 

Dan

Is this something you want for just yourself? If so, then you can look for a browser desktopgadget. Might find one at Wincustomize, over at Yahoo! gadgets or similar site.

 

If this is something you want to offer to visitors of your website, then I'm not entirely sure. Need to give that one a think. But I'm pretty sure there's not reliable method.

As far as I know, you need to add some parameters to a window.onload function in Javascript - don't quote me on that though!

  • 2 weeks later...

create a new desktop shortcut and make the target as follows...

 

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -k C:\Users\Andy\Desktop\links.html

 

replacing the text after the -k with the location of your web page

 

this will put explorer into kiosk mode - pres ctrl f4 to get out of it

That's a mighty cool trick womble! I would try it out myself, but I don't have easy access to a Windows machine right now.

Desktop background? I think that's something lingering from Win98s old Active Desktop. Though I I don't see the option in Vista.

Am I right in thinking this is a kind of pseudo-screensaver?

you could make a active desktop in w2k - which i still have at work - like thomas, i can't see it in vista

I think it might have survived to XP before they pulled the plug. ...anyone else remember this whole Channel business MS was talking about when Active Desktop first came?

I think it might have survived to XP before they pulled the plug. ...anyone else remember this whole Channel business MS was talking about when Active Desktop first came?

yeah i remember that - didn't quite pan out as planned i guess :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.