December 7, 201015 yr Hi Guys & Girls I’m trying to start a new business involving basic web design, photo restoration & photo editing. My main aim is to attract customers who are after a basic web design package for their small business. I would love some feedback my url is at web design package Cheers
December 7, 201015 yr Hey Digit! Welcome to the forum :-) I like your site. It's often pretty hard to make dark designs work, yet you did a pretty good job. However, I do have some remarks: - For a business that deals much in pictures, you don't have much pictures to show. - On the front page, change those 'i' pictures to something a bit more "personal" to each category. It will make your web site more colorful, and it will make seeing what the different topics are about simpler. - Why would I want to search Google from your web site? This will only defer users from your web site, and not give them any functionality they'd want from your web site. If you'd want to search google, you'd go to Google.com or to the integrated field for searching in your browser. - Black on white gives the site a differentiated look, yet a bit of a "hard" look. Give the background a very weak texture, try other font colors, or give your content area a different background to differentiate it from the rest of the site. - Your about page is too plain, and it feels like I am still on the front page because of the boxes (which I guess act as your footer). Leave the icons (that you've changed), perhaps the headings, give it a separating line, and drop the text. - Small issue in the blog, remove the square bullet points next to your photo stream. Also make the pictures a bit bigger so that they span the width of the sidebar. Again, everything is very dark and not reader-friendly. - Talking about the blog, why do you have a large "facebook" button that takes the users to their facebook profile? If you want people to write about your blog on facebook, give them a "share on facebook" box to click on. - Your web site portfolio page is too large and clumpy. Make it a bit fancier, this is where you can show off your (non-existing) jQuery skills ;-) Or at least make it a bit more viewable and faster loading. - Lastly, it's called "contact" not contacts ;-) Talking about this page, make a sweet little contact form for your users, that'll make their life easier and your response rates higher. Hope you got some good tips :-) Kris
December 7, 201015 yr Author Thanks Kris for your time to take a look much appreciated! The Google box, photo stream etc was my lack of SEO knowledge I was under the impression this type of thing would help my traffic but after doing some research the last few months I now know better (still learning lots though) I will definitely take time to take on board your comments. It’s been an interesting journey & I know if I cant get my own site looking good why would someone want my design. Thanks again
January 7, 201115 yr You could throw in a scrolling gallery to show case some of your work, and possibly add an extra colour to add another dimension to it.
January 7, 201115 yr At a glance, I'd say it's one of the better websites I've seen. It gets right to the point... I wasn't going to elaborate but could not resist... I'd advise everyone else to look at how simple and customer focused this website is. It's not bogged down with crazy colors, crazy design. It's black n' white and puts artistic talent into the spotlight. It has real pictures of real people in it, supposedly affected by the restoration process. Top navigation is easy to access. The fact that this website aimed at web + design/art, as opposed to strictly web-design makes all the difference in the world. Some people are too wrapped up in their HTML and CSS they forget that 80% of the people out there don't even know what that is. And who cares if it's not 100% consistent. In the real world, people aren't perfect...pictures aren't perfect...and neither is this, but that's a good thing. Any changes moving forward I would not be overly concerned about. So get out there and tell more people you can do photo restoration and digital work like websites.
January 7, 201115 yr Looks pretty nice, I agree with much of what has been said above. One thing though, with regards to SEO, you are using images to display text on the About Us page. I can't see a reason for this and this could just as easily be done using HTML. It might not be a huge deal as there isn't a whole lot of text there at the moment, but its definately something to consider in future; remember google can't "read" the images, only text I like the feel of your site though, mate, good work. Kyle
January 8, 201115 yr Author Sorry have not checked back for awhile having a break from it all. Was not sure if I start from scratch again or not! maybe I don't have to but still needs a lot of work. Thanks for the comments and the kind words nice to see that today was very close to giving it all up as can't seem to find any work. On another forum the my site was pretty much bagged so thanks again. Anyways Cheers have a great New Year!!
Create an account or sign in to comment