Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What do you think of my first web layout?

Featured Replies

First of all it's only the header at the moment, I only just started photoshop a few days ago. Been viewing loads of tutorials and such but the work is 100% mine and not copied from a tutorial. I just used them to get a handle on how to use photoshop.

 

The design is for my dad's driving school business.

 

I'm pretty happy with the way it has turned out so far, but all constructive feedback is welcome.

post-23247-079107200 1287692376_thumb.png

Agreed, I like this - and you say it's your first web layout? Then you're doing really well. Be encouraged!

Wow! This is your first header :o! Man if you can produce this as your first header your very talented! Good work :)

  • Author

Wow guys your making me blush! But in all seriousness this is what I did before: http://www.bryans-driving-school.co.uk/index.php

 

Obviously no graphical prowess at all. Anyway thanks for your kind words, is there any obvious (or not obvious) way I can improve this at the minute? Just want to be as detailed as possible.

 

Also I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what I want for the rest of the home page. At the minute all I can come up with is having the text in 3 equal sized columns with the same browny colour as the tag line. With maybe just the header of each column having a similar gradient to the nav-bar. All ideas appreciated :-)

 

Cheers, kirk

Excellent start, you will go a long way if that truely is your first proper attempt!

 

If your struggling to decide what you want on the home page I would suggest you highlight the most important parts of the business, possibly and intro paragraph, the services and if I was the customer the first thing i would like to see is a price per lesson or special offers to entice me in.

  • Author

Cheers guys!

 

@AJReading I'm taking your advice, and decided to put the price in a nice star type thing, only problem is I'm having difficulty getting the text right see the attached image to see what I mean. I think the colours are right, just can't get the right text effects.

 

EDIT:

 

I want the effect to 'pop-out' or be very noticeable but I also want it to be subtle which I think is what the main issue I'm having with it is. A bit too bold

post-23247-074477900 1287745590_thumb.png

get rid of the steering wheel in the top right corner it looks out of place, you also cant see the details behind it.

 

apart from that nice job :)

  • Author

get rid of the steering wheel in the top right corner it looks out of place, you also cant see the details behind it.

 

apart from that nice job :)

Haha! Thanks for the advice :-) I've moved it now. But it's the purple star I'm concerned about

Very lovely design! You got talent.

 

I have two points:

- I think you should decrease(or reduce? lol i don't know wich is the right word) the purple star, it's "fighting" with the big white square with the "L", two big things on the same side don't combine (my personal opinion ok?)

 

- The "L" square is not align verticaly with the space between the soft grey bar and the menu, you get wath i mean?

I'm training my english, hope you understand.

  • Author

Very lovely design! You got talent.

 

I have two points:

- I think you should decrease(or reduce? lol i don't know wich is the right word) the purple star, it's "fighting" with the big white square with the "L", two big things on the same side don't combine (my personal opinion ok?)

 

- The "L" square is not align verticaly with the space between the soft grey bar and the menu, you get wath i mean?

I'm training my english, hope you understand.

 

I do understand, thank you for your feedback! Here is where I am now. Ignore the right column for now, still unsure what to do with it. I'm using jpeg now so quality might be slightly reduced.

 

Also I am wondering whether or not to add in extra graphics for the main bits of text. for instance horizontal line to separate each item, I think I like it how it is though. What do you all think?

 

Thanks for all your advice guys and girls!

post-23247-020064100 1287759126_thumb.jpg

I agree with the above, this is very nice for just a few days of Photoshop Experience. Nice job mate

Much better Kirky!!!

I think your ideia of putting horizontal bars is nice! But putting more images will make your clean design start to transform in a heavy one. I sugest if you need to put more images, reduce the sizes first.

  • Author

OK guys, finished product time!

 

I say finished product because I personally can't see anything else I really need to add. Also take note that the images aren't final, I might add stars instead of the cheesy pics, not 100% on this at the minute.

 

Any way, all comments and criticism welcome.

 

Cheers for looking! :santa_cool: Christmas already? lol

 

EDIT: My dad wanted it without the large L. So I have included an image of that as well. Personally I think it needs the large L to make it more obvious what the site is for. What do you guys think?

post-23247-030167900 1287848479_thumb.jpg

post-23247-097911100 1287849717_thumb.jpg

I think the site looks great man! Really good job.

I prefer the design with the "Big L" as i agree that it shows what the website is about :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.