Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How to setup external MySQL ?

Featured Replies

Hi everyone,

Just recently my server load has gone high due to high load of mysql database queries activities. In trying to bring the load under control, I am thinking of bring the MySQL database to external server.

 

Unfortunately, this external database hosting is new to me, and I have no technical knowledge in dealing with this area. Would someone kind to point me a plain simple guide available out there?

 

Thanks.

Hey :) I would suggest first re-evaulating your current situation before making any architecture changes. First off, I would take a look at the software you are using - forums, wikis, blogs or anything that is drowning your database - and add as much as you can in the way of caching. There's no sense in re-generating content that hasn't changed.

 

Feel free to describe your setup, and what it is that's bogging you down and I'll see if I can help.

  • 5 months later...

if as a last resort you want to use an external database, just change your normal database settings. I am assuming your using a custom script here, correct me if i am wrong.

 

usually the mysql host is "localhost", to set up an external database, just get the databases host name, a valid username and password and change the settings accordingly.

 

for example:

(this is from a php perspective)

<?php

$db_host = "localhost";
$db_user = "username";
$db_pass = "password";
$db_name = "database";

?>

 

lets say that is your current config and your new databases config is:

 

mysql.website.com:131 or w/e and you have a user named "bob" under the mysql server and "bob"'s pass is

"bill", and the database is "new_data", heres how you would change the config

 

<?php

$db_host = "mysql.website.com:131";
$db_user = "bob";
$db_pass = "bill";
$db_name = "new_data";

mysql_connect($db_host, $db_user, $db_pass);
mysql_select_db($db_name);
?>

 

or summin along those lines

Hey :) I would suggest first re-evaulating your current situation before making any architecture changes. First off, I would take a look at the software you are using - forums, wikis, blogs or anything that is drowning your database - and add as much as you can in the way of caching. There's no sense in re-generating content that hasn't changed.

I agree.. Can you tell us what you are using?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.