Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How to trouble shoot funny character in website?

Featured Replies

Hi,

I need some guide to help in trouble shooting those funny character in foreign language website. Previously, they were displayed fine/working properly.

 

But after I disable/turn off phpsuexec in my server, these chinese character coded sites are displaying character like :- ??**&%@@ !!

 

I am having haedache trying to look for solution and guides!

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Hi,

I need some guide to help in trouble shooting those funny character in foreign language website. Previously, they were displayed fine/working properly.

 

But after I disable/turn off phpsuexec in my server, these chinese character coded sites are displaying character like :- ??**&%@@ !!

 

I am having haedache trying to look for solution and guides!

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

 

Turning phpsuexec back on in your server would fix the problem, wouldnt it?

Also, look into some language translation software such as Alta Vista's Babel Fish which provides online text and web page language translation.

 

AltaVista BabelFish

 

Or, you may want to check out:

 

All Virtual Ware

 

Hope that helps and Good Luck!

  • Author

Hi ItsComeToThis,

Well, that's the main problem/constraint that I am facing...I am not able to turn back phpsuexec due to some backend script that I need in managing several hundreds of accounts in my server.

 

WHile I was searching for possible guides andadvise, I learnt that this error may caused by PHP charset variable, which is called "default_charset". Webmaster might need to set the character set they wish to use. But this sound pretty complicated for newbie like me. :blink:

 

I am stil searching for simple guide that can be implemented straight away...best if just need to do a simple command input into file (like .htaccess ? ) and upload it to the site affected.

 

Still working on to be a better server admin. :p

  • 5 months later...

I came across some isses with weird characters when I was making a site in Norwegian. The conflict turned out to be that I was using the default latin-1 encoding but javascript uses UTF-8. So when I enchanced my site with some AJAX to preview comments it ended up arr garbled. I then converted all my files to UTF-8 encoding only to realise that PHP doesn't really support that. PHP treats all characters as 8bits no matter what. That means you have to be really carefull with the string functions you use in PHP. Sometimes you need to code your own UTF8 compatible ones.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.