Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

what should i charge for this work & how easy?

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

Up until now I have only done a few websites and had an email asking me to work on a site a prospective customer already has live.

 

All I have done so far is emailed them back saying I am willing to take on there work and ask for pricing options ie if they want per hour costs or me to submit a full fixed price.

 

What sort of price would some of you quote for a full fixed price for the following?...

 

 

1.Update existing PHP driven ‘Virtual UK’ database which can be accessed via our home page to include International virtual numbers.

 

 

Task 1: Need to add 180 countries into country drop down which are in .csv format

Task 2: Rename county to Region

 

Task3: Need to update the Region and City tables in the data base

 

Task4: To check the auto fill of drop down Region and city based on country selection.

 

Task5: Integrate with shopping cart via Paypal Payments Pro

 

 

 

2. Tactical PPC activity and SEO

3. XML programming for insertion of our 0845 numbers into Google Analytics

 

 

Also how easy is the above to achieve as I'm unsure on some things and just going to google and bluff my way through this (if I can) and then at least I know it for next time and gain the experiance.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Mark

Hi Mark,

 

Blimey, I don't know where to begin. Firstly, I think you've got so much stuff there (and some very technical stuff) that I think it's going to be very difficult for anyone to give an accurate estimate. Just one of those PHP or SEO tasks might take 10 times longer than planned, and often they do! I speak from bitter experience.

 

1.Update existing PHP driven ‘Virtual UK’ database which can be accessed via our home page to include International virtual numbers.

Task 1: Need to add 180 countries into country drop down which are in .csv format

Task 2: Rename county to Region

Task3: Need to update the Region and City tables in the data base

Task4: To check the auto fill of drop down Region and city based on country selection.

Task5: Integrate with shopping cart via Paypal Payments Pro

 

I'm not sure what a 'Virtual UK' database is or what it does, so apologies if this doesn't mean much. Adding countries to a database using CSV is pretty straight forward, as long as you have basic familiarity with your database language. I'm guessing you're using MySQL, which is pretty simple to import data. Upgrading the database tables is also pretty simple - export to CSV and reimport for any changes.

 

As for PayPal Website Payments Pro, if you haven't used this before, you have some learning ahead! Does your client already have a Website Payments Pro account? If not, they are going to have to jump through hoops to get one. Also, which shopping cart client are you using? Does it already have functionality to link to PayPal?

 

2. Tactical PPC activity and SEO

 

Pay Per Click is another of those tasks that can't really be done once and left alone - it's something you should review every few weeks or so to make sure it's working. Success with PPC changes like the tide, and you need to be constantly research your competitors keywords and ads and adjusting your own to make sure you get the clicks you want.

 

SEO is also not a five minute job. Website Optimisation can be done now, and will probably take a day to a week depending on website size, but after that you should invest in link building techniques to continue on the success. Recent analysis has shown that website optimisation has the greater return for a new website, but as time progresses link building becomes a much more powerful way of succeeding with SEO.

 

3. XML programming for insertion of our 0845 numbers into Google Analytics

 

I don't know what this is, so can't comment.

 

Based on all this, I'm very roughly guessing that you could charge around £300-£500 for number 1, around £200-£300 per month for 2, and however long 3 takes you. But I stress these are just my estimates - and could be completely wrong.

 

Hope this helps,

 

Darren

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.