Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

sIFR's useful or is there a better alternative now?

Featured Replies

I am not too sure how new an idea or whether this is the prefered method now or even if this is archaic and no-one does it this way anymore.

 

I want to make large text, but not loose the nice smoothness that photoshop gives it. I have found sIFR's from what I can see this uses a javascript file to read the headers you point it to and then reads them into a flash file which then creates a nice smooth header within the flash movie.

 

I basically want a similar setup to the Manchester City Football pages (mcfc.co.uk) if anyone knows of a way of producing these headers I would much appreciate the advice or examples

 

Thanks in advance

There is an alternative to sIFR:-

http://wiki.github.com/sorccu/cufon/about

which doesn't use Flash, but I've never used it.

 

However, it does use Javascript so you need to make sure that users with Javascript disabled will see something.

Cufon is great and you don't need to worry about if the user has js disabled. Cufon reads your header tags and converts them dynamically. If js is disabled, you simply see the header tag.

  • Author

Thanks guys this is exactly what I wanted to know about.

I can vouch for cufon too. I used it for the first time the other day and it's really nice and simple to use!! I didn't have a single problem with it and I'm certain that if I used the sIFR type I would.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.