Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pop Up Windows

Featured Replies

I need some advice on how to create a pop up window after someone logs in. This is a subscription site and so the pop up window should occur to read: your subsciption has expired - with some additional text added to the paragraph. Can anyone help me on this? Do I link this pop up window to the login page I am using? How would I do that?

I personally would vote against having a pop up window appear after login in as so many people use pop-up blockers now that the new pop up window will be blocked and go unnoticed - it's also not a very accessible option...however if you still want to go ahead with it add an onload value to your body tag like this:

 

<body onload="MM_openBrWindow('home.php','popup','width=400,height=400')">

Edited by Sam G
added [code] tags

Hmm, well I answered in your other similar topic, but just to reiterate myself, I am with Eskymo on that one. There are so many blockers out there, that most people won't see your popup.

  • 2 weeks later...

As stated before, most people won't see the pop-up, and if they see it they might be turned away from your site. I for one hate pop-ups, and tend to turn away from sites that use them.

Rather than a pop up window, can't you add something to the user's home page that alerts the user? I wouldn't count on the user being able to view the pop ups.

Rather than a pop up window, can't you add something to the user's home page that alerts the user? I wouldn't count on the user being able to view the pop ups.

 

That would be my suggestion as well. I would probably either put a message on their home page, or make an alternate page that would require a user input to get away from, which makes sure they saw it and can't claim they didn't see it.

I would also advise against them as for one, most people hate them and two, I have all pop-ups blocked and Im not likely to unblock them either. I think there are too many other options out there that would be way beter for your site than pop-ups.

 

Let us see when youre done! :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.