Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Using Drupal for the first time

Featured Replies

I have a few questions about Drupal and also a few things I need a hand with.

 

  1. I'm using Drupal as a system for my current clients customers to view photographs in password protected areas. Are there any modules/extensions that perform this task?
  2. I need to modify Drupal's theme so it's the same as my clients, how do I do this?
  3. I'm not sure if I want to set the whole website up as a CMS, but if I did, then how do you think it'd go...***
  4. This is a random one, for the gallery page, is there any way I could just display all pictures that are in a certain folder automatically, so the client only has to upload them at a certain size??

 

*** For this one, the client wanted a horizontally scrolling gallery:

 

http://www.traxor-designs.com/clients/anna/gallery.htm

 

User: flipflop

Pass: bustmynut

 

(dont ask about the user/pass, inside joke)

 

Do you think I should bother with CMS, considering the majority of the site is pretty static and I don't need it as a back end, the only thing I need to change is the gallery every so often (which would be easy to just upload a new picture). At the moment, the gallery is the most important thing, then the CMS system for the clients.

  • Author

I've had a look at that, and it doesn't seem to have a user system, which is important because some of the photos may be explicit, private or commercial and therefore can't be accessed.

 

Thank you anyway, I'm going to have a look. I'm a complete novice when it comes to CMS. I really am a designer, and that's it.

Tell me about it, I some how just cobble through the coding process, design is my true passion.

 

Forums like these have helped me out no end, I really do hope you find what you're looking for.

  • Author

Thanks a lot :). Hopefully I will too, I'm dependant on the money from this client. This'll help me learn though so it's okay!! Thanks for the help

perhaps something smaller like wordpress + gallery plugins would be more appropriate?

 

Drupal is a huge and complex CMS that has taken me months just to get hang of the basics - and I've used quite a few CMS's.. this is because Drupal is much more configurable and aimed at managing much more complex data.

  • Author
perhaps something smaller like wordpress + gallery plugins would be more appropriate?

 

Drupal is a huge and complex CMS that has taken me months just to get hang of the basics - and I've used quite a few CMS's.. this is because Drupal is much more configurable and aimed at managing much more complex data.

Would Wordpress be completely suitable for the suitable for the site? I mean it is, afterall, just a user-driven area. I think going for Drupal was probably a little excessive of me, I didn't realise how major it was. Pretty stupid, heh. Would you mind recommending some stuff?

If I understand correctly, you are just looking for user management & a secret area?

 

In which case that could be handled just with .htaccess at the most basic level.

 

Wordpress provides a user management system & page management. There are several plugins for managing image content, one of which is sure to be suitable. Wordpress is also quite small & has a limited set of configuration options (which are expandable via plugins etc) and is very easy to theme up so it looks like the rest of the website.

 

If you wanted to make it so that she just uploads the images to a folder, you can use some quite simple PHP to point to one folder on the server and read all of the subfolders - every subfolder could be a "gallery" or a seperate page. That wouldn't be too hard to write.

 

There are also several php user management scripts which would provide you with login and hidden areas, but I've never used one.

 

Finally, Gallery & Coppermine Gallery are two php CMS's aimed entirely at images - both give you user management and restriction on an album levele I believe. They are also quite small & have a reasonable level of themability.

 

Hope this helps,

 

Eris

  • Author

Thanks for the help Eris, I've had a look at WordPress and don't think it's suitable really. I'm using Gallery 2 at the moment and I really like it, nice and simple... Apart from the binaries, having a bit of trouble finding the correct binaries for the archive uploader (i should've installed it at the beginning, I pressed the wrong button I think).

Thanks for the help Eris, I've had a look at WordPress and don't think it's suitable really. I'm using Gallery 2 at the moment and I really like it, nice and simple... Apart from the binaries, having a bit of trouble finding the correct binaries for the archive uploader (i should've installed it at the beginning, I pressed the wrong button I think).

 

 

You may find NextGen Gallery useful if you change your mind about WP.

  • Author
You may find NextGen Gallery useful if you change your mind about WP.

Thanks, I've had a look, it seems pretty good! Not going to use Wordpress this time though.

Forgot to say in earlier post - I really like the design! PM me when your finished as I would love to have a nose, ;)

  • Author
Forgot to say in earlier post - I really like the design! PM me when your finished as I would love to have a nose, ;)

Thanks a lot, thought I'd try something new!! I will do, if I forget, just check back during February, that's when the design is due to be complete, and hopefully will have it's own hosting/domain etc.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.