Everything posted by JohnnyJekyll
-
Website In-Page Device Switcher
Great advice thank you.
-
Website In-Page Device Switcher
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Sorry I should explain further. My website will of course be responsive. My aim is to display other websites on my own website, and show how they respond and adapt responsively on different devices, by click a button to switch the view. Kind of like a web designer would show a case study of a website they have built on their own site.
-
Website In-Page Device Switcher
Does anyone know of any in-page device switchers on websites - commonly seen on theme template websites - whereby you click a button to view the theme in desktop / tablet / phone mode (presume using iframe and jquery or something)? I just can't seem to come across any. The only one I have found so far is here: http://www.jqueryscript.net/layout/jQuery-Plugin-To-Test-Your-Website-In-Multiple-Types-of-Screen.html Surely there are plenty around, perhaps on Code Canyon? Also, a Wordpress plugin version if anyone knows. Thanks.
-
Linking from your website to Facebook
Thanks very much for replying guys. Most appreciated. I have looked closely at the developer area and now agree with what Mike says as well.
-
Linking from your website to Facebook
I have a Facebook question if I may. I know that any Facebook user can create an actual page for public viewing, like a fan page - As an example Tiger Woods page is here http://www.facebook.com/Tiger. I also know Tiger for example is able to add a button on his own website pointing users to his fan page for them to "like" it. I have a customer who only uses a standard private Facebook account for interacting with customers, and they have asked me if there is a way to put some sort of button on their website to enable users to become an actual Facebook "friend". I am fully aware of widgets like "add this" for sharing and fan pages like Tiger's above, but am I missing anything? Can you add a Facebook button to your website to make it easier for users to request you as a friend from their own private Facebook account?
-
Google - "Need Directions To This Location" Widget
Thanks for the reply chtyrone, and the link to the Google gadget. So do the PC World website and Fish and Grill websites from my earlier post use this gadget, or are there other versions of it? If anyone else also has any comments it would be much appreciated.
-
Google - "Need Directions To This Location" Widget
I would like to use the Google widget that enables users enter a postcode on a website and get directed - as in a journey planner - to a specific location (which could of course be the location of the business premises that owns the website). By this I don't mean a Google maps placement, I actually mean a journey planner on how to get there. Two examples of the widget are here: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/s/find-a-store.html?iStoreId=1315 (middle of the page) http://www.fishandgrill.co.uk/ (bottom right of the page) I presume this is using Google maps or the Google API in some way, and I also presume that it should be quite easy to implement by following some sort of simple Google wizard, but can anyone please point me to where in Google's vast world that this would be situated. I just can't find it and it is driving me nuts. Thanks in advance.
-
How to keep track of your backlinks?
Thanks for the reply Pretty Klicks. My question was not really to do with how to actually get/see backlinks, but more on how to keep track of your backlink attempts (whether successful or not) once you have attempted to get them. If you SEO a lot then you throw backlink attempts all over the place, and it can get real messy. I was just wondering if there is a better way over and above a huge excel list. For your reference on finding backlinks, I am a member of SEOMoz.org Pro membership - which are the leaders in SEO. The membership is expensive but well worth it, and to me a must if you are serious about SEO.
-
How to keep track of your backlinks?
Thanks for the reply rallport. Can anyone else shed light on how they track all the backlink work they try for?
-
How to keep track of your backlinks?
I have started a few backlink campaigns for client websites, and was just wondering how everyone keeps track of the backlinks that they try for... For example, for every directory listing you register at, or for every website / blogsite that you contact offering articles in return for a backlink etc etc etc, do you keep a record of what you do? And if you do keep a record, is it in a big old excel list with backlink contacts down the left and your sites across the top? Or by some other means? It just seems it's quite a lot of work keeping track of everything you do, but should it be done anyway incase your client asks indeed what you have been doing? I don't suppose anyone knows of some great software program that you can use to help keep track of your efforts? Interested to hear what others do, especially the more experienced SEO pros?
-
ActionScript 3 - Navigate to URL
Hi josoap, Just to let you know I have successfully worked it out. I knew I was missing something simple - I just needed to put the code in the corresponding actionscript keyframe to where the button sits on the timeline. Below is my finished code which works like a charm. Thanks again for taking the time to answer and offer to help. googleButton_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, buttonClicked1); function buttonClicked1(event:MouseEvent):void { var buttonClicked1:URLRequest = new URLRequest("http://www.google.co.uk"); navigateToURL(buttonClicked1, "_blank"); } yahooButton_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, buttonClicked2); function buttonClicked2(event:MouseEvent):void { var buttonClicked2:URLRequest = new URLRequest("http://www.yahoo.co.uk"); navigateToURL(buttonClicked2, "_blank"); }
-
ActionScript 3 - Navigate to URL
Thanks, Do you have an email address for me to send over the Flash CS4 file?
-
ActionScript 3 - Navigate to URL
Hi all, I am new to Actionscript and have followed a tutorial chapter entitled "Creating Interactive Navigation" from the Adobe Flash CS4 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK series. All is going well at this point. I know Flash itself pretty well. I have six thumbnails across the top of the page. When I click on a top thumbnail, its image shows up larger in the main panel below. That's it, very nice and simple. I would like to take it one step further though. I have added two buttons alongside one of the images in the main panel itself, and would like to make it so that when a button is clicked, a new browser opens and you are taken to a URL e.g. Google's home page. I have tried to do this myself but I just can't get it to work. This forum will not let me upload my FlashCS4 file so I was hoping I could email it over to someone so they could throw in the few lines of Actionscript - test to make sure the SWF works - and then send it back over to me to see how it works. It should be dead simple for someone who know what they are doing. The file is complete with buttons ready-made even with instance names. I just need the AS in there to make it work. Hope there is someone who can help me. Thanks a lot.
-
Which images look the best?
Yes davep, I will most definitely look into batch processing the images - even if just to do all the resizing for me. I have never done that before so may save a lot of time. Thanks.
-
Which images look the best?
Thanks very much for the responses everyone. Much appreciated. Photoshop is not an option - all reasults must be achieved with the camera. I have played with the camera settings and daylight is producing the best result. I will look more into the manual white balancde and histogram settings. What do you think about using a shooting table or a lightcube then? I could fire a light through from underneath, plus fire a light from above - This may enable me to lower the camera exposure for a better picture, plus achieve more of a pure white background with the lighting from underneath?
-
Which images look the best?
Sorry, to explain what I am using: Equipment: - Canon Powershot SX1 IS on tripod with remote control - One Interfit Prolite 9 light shooting downwards onto the sweets from above/left - Shooting on large piece of ice white paper Camera Settings to achieve the top row are: - Daylight setting - 1/250 - F3.2 Further to comment from mrsminkie - I hope that through these helpful comments that the client may start to prefer the shaded version - which I think is definitely better.
-
Which images look the best?
Thanks for your replies guys. There are so many images to take so Photoshop really isn't an option, nor is paying for Mr Clipping to do anything. Any further opinions? I did have the images on a darker background setting with the camera - which looked lovely - but the client wants white.
-
Which images look the best?
I am building an e-commerce website for a client which includes 500+ pictures. Logistically I need to achieve the finished results of the pictures with the camera and not through Photoshop afterwards. The client likes a white background but this is very hard to achieve without really over-exposing the camera shot and lighting. In the attached image, I like the result of the top row - slight darker images - with a little shading naturally achieved by the camera, when compared with the bottom row of over-exposed images - with some of them looking awful. Please give your opinions so that I may provide third party views to my client. Note that the website background will be white so providing a little contrast with shading around the pictures I think will be perfect. Thanks very much.
-
Design Software
I have spent some time learning Photoshop CS4, Illustrator CS4 and Fireworks CS4, and have a good understanding off all. Fireworks CS4 is by far the best program for designing and mocking up websites. It's only fallback against Photoshop is Dreamweaver CS4's compatibility with Photoshop CS4 for using Smart Objects.
-
Why is my XML Sitemap detected two versions of my home page URL?
Thanks for that bocaj, I host on a Linux server and use a .htaccess file so that would be a good way to go. Do you use a .htaccess and if so what code do you put in there there for your 301 redirects? Thanks.
-
Why is my XML Sitemap detected two versions of my home page URL?
Thanks for your reply Wickham, I have indeed solved the problem. I did need to just replace the links to my home page from <a href="index.htm"> to <a href="/">. When I tried this initially in Dreamweaver CS4 on my local machine the link was not working, which is why I created this post, but when I uploaded to my server the changed link worked perfectly. I then performed a Dreamweaver site wide "find and replace" and then re-submitted my site through the automatic XML Sitemap generator. The new sitemap then only showed one version of the Home page URL. So, problem solved. Thanks once again for your help.
-
Why is my XML Sitemap detected two versions of my home page URL?
I am quite new to the world of web design so obviously need to ask a few questions here and there. I have finished my first main website and used www.xml-sitemaps.com to automatically build my XML sitemap, and also submitted to Google Analytics. Both Sitemaps and Google Analytics are seeing two versions of the home URL: www.euro-peanflooring.co.uk/ www.euro-peanflooring.co.uk/index.htm Here is the code Sitemaps has generated for me: <url> <loc>http://www.euro-peanflooring.co.uk/</loc> <lastmod>2009-12-18T11:48:07+00:00</lastmod> <changefreq>monthly</changefreq> <priority>1.00</priority> </url> <url> <loc>http://www.euro-peanflooring.co.uk/index.htm</loc> <lastmod>2009-12-18T11:48:07+00:00</lastmod> <changefreq>monthly</changefreq> <priority>0.80</priority> </url> My question is, have I done anything wrong for the tools to see two versions of the home URL? I have been advised the problem lies within the links to the Home page from elsewhere in the site. Currently I use the following link: <a href="index.htm">Home Page</a> And that changing the link to the following will solve the problem. <a href="/">Home Page</a> But by changing a link to just "/" the link then doesn't go anywhere i.e. you stay on the same page when you click it. I believe I am on the right track but just stupidy missing something. Do I also need to change the file name of the home page from "index.htm" to something else so that the link will work? If so what would it need to be changed to? Please excuse my stupidity on this. It must be common. Thanks very much for helping.
-
Form to email security
Hi webdesigner93. I just wanted to say thanks very much again for helping me with my form to mail script. I have no questions at this time. I will continue to look at it in greater depth and no doubt use it on my website. This form to mail problem has persuaded me to study some php videos in my spare time to get a better understanding of it. I wanted to point out to all who read this post that as a relatively new fast learning web designer I am completely amazed at how helpful and supportive everyone is when you have questions or problems. Most other industries apply a completely opposite dog eat dog approach. As I continue to learn I will most definitely contribute to help others. Once again webdesigner93, thankyou. You will no doubt go far in business. Good luck to you.
-
Form to email security
That's cracking webdesigner93. Thanks a lot. I will spend a good bit of time looking at this over tomorrow and Monday and then let you know how I get on.
-
Form to email security
You're a star... And thanks also Stevo for your comments on the "honeypot method"... Very interesting.