Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

molu

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by molu

  1. Hi, I had a question regarding web site creation software but it appears it may have already been answered. As a new designer I'm trying to build as much research as possible regarding software, skillsets required etc as possible before I take the plunge and purchase anything. Where do website creation software apps fit in a web designers tool set? I assume they don't, lol. How does webplus, web easy pro and alike differ from dreamweaver? To be fair I prefer to code from scratch when designing, am I just being a bit thick here? I have no knowldege of these packages at all! is web site creation software just a drag-n-drop-bonanza with pre-designed templates to chose from? If the above is assumed to be true I think oli307, you may need a web designer to help you for a more specificly engineered design to greater match your requirements. If this is your business, you want the best site (and knowledge, which you wont get from a software package), your budget allows for.
  2. Yes. Well I've almost decided that I'm going to stay with industry Adobe and purchase either FW or PS on ebay for my graphic editing package. FW CS4 is £280 brand new which may be an optiono in the near future. I think I will use the GIMP to put me on while I raise the necessary funds. I've found this link very useful when comparing FW and PS for web graphic creation/editing. Apart from FW costing half as less it appears PS may be overkill and unnecessary for the tasks I want to do. www.digital-web.com/articles/photoshop_versus_fireworks
  3. Thanks... GIMP may well be the one then as ££ is key in these times. I've tried it before but I found it difficult to adapt, I think i need more patience!! I've not tried fireworks yet, I'll definately look at the trial at adobe's website. how does it differ from photoshop though? can you still create/manipulate imgs with it like photoshop? I've seen some people say they prefer it to PS on here. Thanks again guys
  4. Hi, I'm a beginner in webdesign and had a slow start to a part-time freelance venture last year due to incompatibility issues with software and companies I've made websites for going bust with the recession! I want to make a fresh start with as much free software I can get hold of to create a foundation of tools for future work into 2010. I dont need dreamweaver and have found a better, free sub in notepad ++. there are other good tools I've found but one thing there is no subtitute for is Photoshop. Now I'm starting out so CS4 isnt important to me at this stage so I'm asking where I can find a copy of Photoshop cs2 or preferably cs3 for around £200 from a reliable source? any ideas guys. I've had a couple of people asking me for quotes/work etc after a quiet period so I could really do with getting my house in order before I start. Cheers, Lee
  5. Yes, look like GIMP is the way forward for me, at least for now - I'll play around with the different code editors people have mentioned along the way. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
  6. Hi, I've followed this forum topic for the last few days... There's loads of good ideas here, so instead of starting a new topic, if it's ok i'd like to ask another question very similar from the one at the start if no one minds... I've been toying around with going freelance for about a year. To cut a long story short - I've used past versions and cs4 trials of dreamweaver and noticed I don't need it - I only use code view anyway!! For the money it costs simple text editors are the way forward. One thing there is no substitute for however is a good image creation/manipulation software package. Guess what. I can't afford PS either... It's way out of my price range... So question.. what are good, cheaper versions to that of PS... that will allow creation of such basics as rounded corners, drop shadows etc for simple sites. I still only regard myself as a beginner in this field despite the time I've spent. I've heard much about GIMP? this any good?
  7. oh one more thing - how will I format the xhtml code with css if its in a .php file. same as I would normally?
  8. Skidz, you've been a big help there thanks for taking time to write that out for me, I'll definately have a play with that before my next project! One question on that though, PHP is a server side language yes, so when I create a domain etc for a future site the server will have to be PHP compatible wont it? My home site that I'm updating at the mo is working from an .ASP server I think. Thanks again!!
  9. thanks ever so much for the quick replies guys. i wouldnt even have thought about PHP. Ive only been learning HTML&CSS the past 18 months or so and before that it was "drag and drop" in dreamweaver whilst skimming the surface studying for my business degree. At the momment im only putting togeter small sites > 8 pages so repeating/changing code wont get too frustating but the php solution sounds the best easy... when ive developed my html/css to what id regard a satisfactory level, php will be the next step. I was looking for a similar idea to css files and how they cascade style and formatting throughout a site from just one file. thats a great idea. what methods do u guys actually do though in your own designs?? dreamweaver isnt a bad idea - the find replace thing is a simple but maybe uncertain solution that could work still! i found the editable regions templates .dwt files TOO restricting when I first came across them at university. this is all execellent stuff tho, nice one.
  10. Hi, I'm new so like I've posted before please persevere with me on topics you may find tediously simple... Im looking for a way in which content can be dupilcated throughout a website in the same way formatting in a website is all controlled by one or two css files. Allow me to elaborate... If, for example, I begin putting together a small website of say 6 pages in HTML I will no doubt want a menu system to navigiate it. The navigation may go as follows along the top of each page; home, gallery, sales, projects, contact, about, how do i change the menu system on one page so that all pages display the changes; home, gallery, SERVICES, projects, contact, about... I don't want to have to go into each of my 6 pages and change the code for each menu individually. I know this could be done with dreamweaver mx editable/non editable regions but is there a less fiddly way? Footer content on each page needs to stay exactly the same throughout on most sites also so the same would apply to this. If you want to change the content in your footer do you have to alter the html code for each page? Please help
  11. Thanks, that's my only issue with it really.. £££££!!!!!!
  12. hi all, looking at this thread and the poll, it appears photoshop is king on the design front despite the expense. I've used eary versions of both dreamweaver and PS at uni and had a copy of DM mx & PS cs1 but I dont have those now. As I'm only programming with HTML & CSS I'm not getting the full use out of the Dreamweaver cs4 trial I downloaded and think notepad will do for now. It does appear apparent that there is no subtitute for a good solid design software package. My question to all is... ...As I'm just starting out in a self-taught freelance web designer venture, is it worth investing in Photoshop CS4 for the £500+ price tag from adobe? I want to do this legitimately so my budget is key. As far as work goes I've recently received a job from someone by word of mouth which I'v nearly completed, but after that I may not get further work for weeks/months? My CS4 trial expires soon, so whats your general feelings on this one? Any advice is good advice...
  13. molu replied to molu's topic in Frontend
    yeh but until css3 goes mainstream i'm looking for a more wider acceptable way using backround images on divs. I might just have to have a play around a little further i think. nice homesite Faevilangel btw. I'm teaching myself to.
  14. molu posted a topic in Frontend
    Hi, I'm a beginner in web design who merely skimmed the surface whilst at uni studying for a business degree. After toying around with the idea for a while, I decided to get serious about web design with in the last 18months. I'm pretty new although I feel I have a sound understanding of the basics. I'm looking for the best way to produce rounded corners around text when i'm displaying text on a page. I've googled this and found 2-3 decent solutions but some seem quite messy or involve javascript. Im looking to display a rounded text box that still allows for things like drop shadows, borders and gradients etc. The simplist solution i've seen involves floating 4 corner images within a div layer. This however only allows for single backround-colours. any ideas guys???

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.