robbydesigns

SKY nternet keeps dropping out.

Hi all, just wondering if any of you know a bit about home internet connections, specifically wi-fi?

We were with VIRGIN and all was well for years but then the internet would drop out now and then. My PC was using an Ethernet cable but still the connection would be lost and I'd have to turn the router on and off to get back online. When the VIRGIN contract ended, my partner suggested we go to SKY. The TV uses a sateliite dish but the SKY box connects to the internet as does the TV, PS4, Mobile phones and my partner's Tablet. All are using wi-fi. It's very rare more than two devices are using the internet at the same time. We keep losing connection. I've told SKY but they say everything seems alright from what they can see, decent signal to the line, decent signal from the main box, etc. 

Whilst the VIRGIN set-up used new cables into the house, when we switched to SKY they had to dig a hole in the wall in our hall (passageway near the front door) to find an old Telecom wire which they used to hook up our telephone and internet. I'm guessing that wire has been hidden in that wall since at least 1990 so perhaps it's too old/knackered. I also bought a new PC around this time but I don't think it's the PC as the original PC lost connection too.  

The SKY internet deffo drops out more than  VIRGIN did. It's 12:12pm as I write this and I started work at 9am, I've had about 10 minutes use of the internet so far today and it's now costing me money and sleepless nights to catch up on a big project I estimated would be done by Tuesday. 

Any tips on how to get the SKY internet working okay would be great. 

Thanks.

Oddly I switched from Virgin to Sky and had the same problem, they kept saying interference on the line and it was a BT Openreach issue. I had BT here digging up the drive and all sorts to no avail. After 6 weeks got a full refund from Sky and went back to Virgin. The way I see it there are only two options, BT or Virgin cables. Out the two I find Virgin is much faster and goes down less often, that said when Virgin drops I find it's gone for half a day or more whereas BT glitch for half hour or so.

No winners here :( 

Edited by BrowserBugs

I find all the bog standard routers unreliable, whenever I change isp I immediately hook up my own Asus router.

BT allows 3rd party routers, Sky doesn't but I'm doing it anyway.

The result is dropouts are uncommon, range and privacy is greater and the router can handle multiple users at once.

@BrowserBugs That's interesting. I guess it all comes down to which wire works best (!). Sky have agreed to send an engineer to check it all out: router, wires all the way back to the box. If that doesn't work out I guess I'll try to get out of the contract for them not being able to supply the service we agreed to. As you said, Virgin is way faster. Here we were getting around 36MB with Virgin, with Sky we get around 11MB.

@hali864 Sky doesn't allow third party routers? I don't think it's the router to be fair, the BT line in our house has to be from the 80's as it's been buried in the wall since we moved in (didn't even know it was there until the Sky guy found it).

15 hours ago, robbydesigns said:

@BrowserBugs That's interesting. I guess it all comes down to which wire works best (!). Sky have agreed to send an engineer to check it all out: router, wires all the way back to the box. If that doesn't work out I guess I'll try to get out of the contract for them not being able to supply the service we agreed to. As you said, Virgin is way faster. Here we were getting around 36MB with Virgin, with Sky we get around 11MB.

The main problem is Sky is at the mercy of BT Open Reach who maintain the lines, hell even BT have to ask BT Open Reach to carry out line work, it's independent. I "think" virgin is the only operator who manage their own cables, and they run fibre to the property whereas BT run fibre to the local box and then it's back to ancient copper telephone lines to the property.

We got out of the Sky contract on the basis they couldn't provide the service. Just log calls made and engineer visit dates and it makes it all a lot easier to prove.

We've got Virgin and only ever have a problem when the local switch falls over. That happens once every few months for a couple of hours.

Virgin uses a lot of the old NTL network - the one Thatcher endorsed and where they dug up everybody's path and bodged the resurfacing. The box on the the wall even still says NTL on the cover.

10 hours ago, fisicx said:

Virgin uses a lot of the old NTL network - the one Thatcher endorsed and where they dug up everybody's path and bodged the resurfacing. The box on the the wall even still says NTL on the cover.

Hahaha yeah I remember getting Cable and Wireless back in 1998/9 :) 

28 minutes ago, BrowserBugs said:

Hahaha yeah I remember getting Cable and Wireless back in 1998/9 :) 

But did you have a cwcom.net email address?

Since I posted this Sky managed to send an Engineer who replaced the wires and router and changed the channels on our devices. It seemed worked well but late last night it dropped out again. Doesn't look like there's much I can do about it so c'est la vie!