Sign in to follow this  
Tome9

Please review my website - Web designer

Hi all

I'm a young, start out web designer and have undertaken a big project of creating my own website to showcase my services.

Firstly, there are a few creases I need to iron out, mainly the responsive device views. With that being said a few disclaimers before you all tear me apart:

1. The website isnt completely responsive on all devices as of yet (i'm leaving that to be the last thing to edit)

2. I know there is duplicate CSS rules when it comes to the repsonsive side as im going to attend to this with 1.

3. This is my first site of this size and I wanted to write every line of code myself, so the [static] website is all my own work and therefore would love to know some professional opinions.

4. I would love to know whether people agree with me putting all the CSS into one stylesheet, I did have seperate files for each device size, however, I decided to consolidate them into just the one stylesheet.

My site: http://biobreakwebdesign.co.uk

Thanks all

I really like the logo. 

A couple of things I picked up on, just had a quick look. 

On the home page I think there could be a good deal more contrast between the navigation/logo and the background. I'd also probably prefer a sticky navigation. 

I think the "Five stars on Trust Pilot" section should link to trust pilot for authenticity purposes. 

With regard to CSS Google prefers one file. If you minify it, even better. Some people will have two separate CSS files; The one 'main' CSS file contains layout-essential CSS -  everything else gets loaded after the fold in a separate CSS file using a <noscript> tag. This in theory should speed up page load somewhat, although I've never tested this personally. I personally stick to one CSS file, minified. 

I think it looks good mate, love the logo as well. One thing I spotted on the home page is the photo of the chap goes all squiffy (for want of a better word) depending on width etc, might want to look into it.

suiffy.PNG.b7a130cd0f2248fa391d782179da83a6.PNG

Had a quick poke about in the source and the home page has an unusual set of headings throughout where it appears you're using them as a sort of font sizing rather than their intended heading purpose? Also the H1 doesn't seem to appear on the screen at all but is in the source, sort of odd unless I'm blind? If it's not on the page (e.g. masked or display none) then the crawlers will generally ignore it.

Speed wise might I suggest running an audit with Lighthouse in Chrome Developer Tools, some quick wins there.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:31 PM, BrowserBugs said:

I think it looks good mate, love the logo as well. One thing I spotted on the home page is the photo of the chap goes all squiffy (for want of a better word) depending on width etc, might want to look into it.

suiffy.PNG.b7a130cd0f2248fa391d782179da83a6.PNG

Had a quick poke about in the source and the home page has an unusual set of headings throughout where it appears you're using them as a sort of font sizing rather than their intended heading purpose? Also the H1 doesn't seem to appear on the screen at all but is in the source, sort of odd unless I'm blind? If it's not on the page (e.g. masked or display none) then the crawlers will generally ignore it.

Speed wise might I suggest running an audit with Lighthouse in Chrome Developer Tools, some quick wins there.

Thank you for this mate. Sorry I've been working but i'm going to start working on all those points you've raised!

Back to basics.

I assume the purpose of the site is to generate leads. You will be marketing your services and prospective clients will visit your site to see if you can help them out.

This means you need to sell your services on the homepage. Show people what you can do as soon as they land on the homepage. Bin the huuuuuge hero image and show me thumbnails of your websites. The grid you have lower down the page is good - move this up to the top.

You offer 6 different services - each one of these should lead to a new page detailing each service. On these page show examples of your work and link to project pages. I know you have links from the 'what we do' page but you also need these on the homepage.

Take a look at your branding page - the CSS is a bit wonky.

Add your email and phone to the contact form. Put your address in the footer.

The contact form leads to an unformatted error page or this page: https://www.biobreakwebdesign.co.uk/what-we-do/send_form_email.php

Reconsider the SM links - you want people to come from those site not to those sites.

Agree about the sticky header. People use phones and tablets a lot so make it easier for them to navigate.

The site does look pretty but you need to sell your services.

Edited by fisicx