Sign in to follow this  
jarrodn

Freelance Advice

I’m a freelance web developer from the United Kingdom with several years of experience. I’ve no problem when it comes to the technical side of being a freelance web developer but I do have some issues when it comes to managing myself and my business. As such, I was wondering whether anybody would be able to give me some advice on managing clients and time.

Some questions that I have are:
- At what point do you tell clients no? For example, you have already agreed on a set list of things to do within a project, but they keep asking for extras or continual changes. (Usually a bunch of small things that seem to go on forever).
- When giving project time estimates, how do you account for bugs?
- Do you often take on multiple projects at the same time, or do you complete them one at a time?
- What do you use to help with time-keeping and efficiency?

Any advice, no matter how small would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Welcome to the forums

- At what point do you tell clients no? For example, you have already agreed on a set list of things to do within a project, but they keep asking for extras or continual changes. (Usually a bunch of small things that seem to go on forever).

The key here is to state in your contract that any work over and above what's been agreed are chargeable extras. What I typically do for extras is to quote time/cost for each item (or group of items) and get the client to agree before doing the work. The extra fees are then added to the final bill.

If you have endless change requests sometimes you need to put your foot down and tell the to stop! What you could do is start stage billing where you bill them for these extras and stop work until they've paid.

- When giving project time estimates, how do you account for bugs?

I always build in a certain amount of time for bug fixing in the original quote. The key here is to test as much as possible while you're building to reduce the number of bugs. Sometimes when it's possible I get the client to actually use part of the site during the build so they can see it working and point out anything that needs attention.

- Do you often take on multiple projects at the same time, or do you complete them one at a time?

I've always got multiple projects on the go!

- What do you use to help with time-keeping and efficiency?

Will power
I often work at night because there are no distractions and you can get a lot done

Telling clients no is easy, just say "no" and don't over complicate things. IF you have a brief that states what the projects includes simply deny their request. IF you're going to go to the trouble to writing a detailed brief you should use it.

Estimates - not sure what you mean about "bugs". If a client finds a genuine bug that I didn't catch I'd personally fix that FOC.

Efficiency - todoist.com. Couldn't function without it.,

Some good answers in here already but I thought I'd add this around bugs:

To keep bug density down you want to write automated tests, depending on the scale of the project - whether you want to go all in or not.
As a project scales it becomes unfeasible to manually test everything when an automated suite can cover this in seconds.

It takes some time to write an automated suite, but it depends on how much time you want to spend fixing bugs, well written tests will also allow you to fix / iterate on your work (client asks for more features down the line) without risking breaking current functionality.

Edited by rbrtsmith