robbydesigns

.ini file meant I can't use Wordpress on my site!

installed Wordpress to my site (robbydesigns.com) and it displayed the error: 'Page not working'.

I contacted TSOHost and they told me: "There is an issue caused by the user.ini file. I've temporary disabled it for you. You can check the code and re-enable it."

As I don't know what an .ini file is or how to "check" it I simply removed WP from my hosting. 

Just wondering if anyone understands all this, I ask becaue in 10 years I've never come across it and would appreciate to learn more. I Googled it but could only find information on .ini files used on Windows 10, nothing to do with hosting or Wordpress.

Thanks @davep laughing at myself now for not realising it was php-ini. 

Still can't understand though why if I install Wordpress I just get a 'This page isnt working'? I think maybe it's time to leave TSOHost.

Edited by robbydesigns

You shouldn't need any .ini file, but some hosts may use them on one-click installs to change config settings automatically. It's safe to remove as it's not part of the Wordpress core.

I should add it's safe to remove unless your host as explicitly added it. Is it possible it was copied from another host before TSO, or is this a brand new clean copy of Wordpress?

It was a clean copy of Wordpress installed via their one-click-install. I don't know if they add it with their one-click-install automatically or if they manually go in and add it later (doubtful).