Tome9

CSS Stylesheets for multiple devices

Hi all

Probably a post that is rather popular and futile, but I'm start out freelance web designer and I'm creating my first large static website and I have come up with a few issues surrounding making the website responsive on different devices.

From the start, I have created 7 different stylesheets. One, a generic style.css file, then 6 sheets that are designed purely for the different device sizes. I've then in the <head> section set the limitations to each sheet (e.g. <link rel="stylesheet" media="(min-device-width: 377px) and (max-width: 480px)" href="css/style-xsmall.css" />).

1. This has worked, to varying levels of success, however, I'd like to get people opinions on whether this is best practice as I'd really like to understand and get the fundementals right from the start. I have thought about having one stylesheet with the @media sizes bit but that one stylesheet becomes unbearably long.

2. Furthermore, I've hit a snag. On one of the stylesheets I have hidden an element (using display: none;) as the text doesnt work well on a specific device size, this is then inherited on all the different device views as it is picking it up first, even when the device size is not set to that stylesheets parameters. So my question is, have I linked the stylesheets to the device widths correctly? and why do they pick up all 7 stylesheets?

I apologise if this is a reoccurring and futile topic for web designers, but I've been teaching myself for 6 years and it's something I'm looking to make my full time job so any advice for a young, start out freelancer would be much appreciated.

My website in question FYI is: https://biobreakwebdesign.co.uk

Thanks, Tom.

Ahoy. Taking a look there's a lot of repetition between the style sheets. For example I assume style.css is your foundation as it loads without restriction, taking line 1 to 60 the difference between this file and say style-small.css or style-xsmall.css are tiny, but you've included all the 60 lines again. The differences in those same lines in style-small.css and style-xsmall.css;

a { color: #333333; }
a:hover { color: #e2dede !important; }

... and one more for style-small.css;

p { font-size: 0.65em; }

You need to only target when things are different, a lot less to process by adding a media query to the foundation for max width with those couple of lines. Just my 2 pence worth as always :) 

Edit: Forgot to say my general approach is to make the foundation for the overall layout, then keep action effects (e.g. hover, lightboxes etc) in separate css sheets so they can be loaded in the background if required. 

Edited by BrowserBugs

9 minutes ago, BrowserBugs said:

Ahoy. Taking a look there's a lot of repetition between the style sheets. For example I assume style.css is your foundation as it loads without restriction, taking line 1 to 60 the difference between this file and say style-small.css or style-xsmall.css are tiny, but you've included all the 60 lines again. The differences in those same lines in style-small.css and style-xsmall.css;

... and one more for style-small.css;

You need to only target when things are different, a lot less to process by adding a media query to the foundation for max width with those couple of lines. Just my 2 pence worth as always :) 

Edit: Forgot to say my general approach is to make the foundation for the overall layout, then keep action effects (e.g. hover, lightboxes etc) in separate css sheets so they can be loaded in the background if required. 

Thanks BrowserBugs for the reply. This makes perfect sense. I simply copied style.css into all the other ones and did think that it maybe wasted. Ill go through and delete all repititon.

Interesting on your stylesheets, do you then have sections in your main stylesheet for the different device sizes? sing @media then?

32 minutes ago, Tome9 said:

Thanks BrowserBugs for the reply. This makes perfect sense. I simply copied style.css into all the other ones and did think that it maybe wasted. Ill go through and delete all repititon.

Interesting on your stylesheets, do you then have sections in your main stylesheet for the different device sizes? sing @media then?

Yes, I consider critical css which forms the first paint, then if it's not required to paint it can go elsewhere. So for example in your case for style.css it would be something like;

@import url(font-awesome.min.css);
/* Basic */
body, input, select, textarea {
font-size: 12pt;
color: #646464;
font-family: "gotham_mediumregular";
font-weight: 300;
line-height: 1.75em;
}
body.is-loading * {
-moz-animation: none !important;
-webkit-animation: none !important;
-o-animation: none !important;
-ms-animation: none !important;
animation: none !important;
-moz-transition: none !important;
-webkit-transition: none !important;
-o-transition: none !important;
-ms-transition: none !important;
transition: none !important;
}
a {
color: #fff;
text-decoration: none;
font-family: 'gotham';
}
a:visited {
color: #fff;
}
strong, b {
color: #545454;
font-weight: 700;
}
em, i {
font-style: italic;
}
p {
margin: 0 0 2em 0;
font-family: 'gotham';
}
@media all and (max-width: 800px){
}

... cleaned it up a bit for you. Then in a second core sheet (e.g. foot.css) something like;

a {
-moz-transition: color 0.2s ease-in-out, border-color 0.2s ease-in-out;
-webkit-transition: color 0.2s ease-in-out, border-color 0.2s ease-in-out;
-o-transition: color 0.2s ease-in-out, border-color 0.2s ease-in-out;
-ms-transition: color 0.2s ease-in-out, border-color 0.2s ease-in-out;
transition: color 0.2s ease-in-out, border-color 0.2s ease-in-out;
}
a:hover {
text-decoration: none;
color: #e2dede !important;
border-bottom-color: transparent;
}
@media all and (max-width: 800px){
}

... as these bits are really only required once the page has loaded and can be interacted with. Second I use javascript to loads these non critical css files with noscript links in the head.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en-GB">
<head>
<link href="/css/core.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<noscript>
<link href="/css/foot.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</noscript>
</head>
<body>
<script type="text/javascript">
function loadjscssfile(filename, filetype){ 
if(filetype=="js"){ var fileref=document.createElement('script'); fileref.setAttribute("type","text/javascript"); fileref.setAttribute("src", filename); fileref.setAttribute("charset", "utf-8"); }
if(filetype=="css"){ var fileref=document.createElement('link'); fileref.setAttribute("rel", "stylesheet"); fileref.setAttribute("type", "text/css"); fileref.setAttribute("href", filename); }
if(typeof fileref!="undefined") { document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(fileref); }
}
loadjscssfile("/css/foot.css", "css");
loadjscssfile("/js/somejsfile.js", "js");
</script>
</body>
</html>

Edited by BrowserBugs