Noob

Hijacked Domain Name Lost?

Hello,

I don't want to make this lengthy, due to my lack of technical knowledge it is destined to be a short story in any case.

Many years ago - Good friends with a website designer/developer who purchased my domain name (presumably registering it in my details) and built my website.

A few years ago - Fell out with said 'professional' due to personal reasons but he continued to host all of my domains and websites, as this was easier than regaining contact and transferring everything over to myself when I am not overly technical in knowing what to do.

A few months ago - Received an outrageous invoice for domain renewals and other services we never asked for with massively inflated costs. We ignored the invoice without making payment. He never chased it up presumably due to our lack of communication with our ended relationship being on bad terms.

Now - Person in question claims he is no longer working on websites and is shutting down his servers in the next couple of days that our domain, website and email addresses are hosted on.

We have created a new website and email address under a different domain as we simply can't operate without this, and exported all of our emails into .mbox files to put on the new server. Of course, we will lose any google rankings etc built up over the past 2 decades but that is collateral damage. 

My question is - Once he closes down these servers and hosting accounts, what happens to my domain? He will not transfer it to us. Is it lost in the abyss? So far as I'm aware it still has at least a year until it needs renewing. We will continue to operate as usual under the new domain and get over the transition period, but it would certainly be nice to have our #1 domain choice in our own hands down the line.

Any advice is appreciated!

If the original domain name was registered in your name then you should be able to regain control of that.

The website itself may be lost forever if he is not willing to transfer it over to your new hosting. What you could do is visit each page in turn and save it locally - at least that way you will have the content and images. With a bit of work you should be able to rebuild the site and keep all your ranking.

Without seeing the website and the registration information it's a bit difficult to help more.

3 minutes ago, fisicx said:

If the original domain name was registered in your name then you should be able to regain control of that.

The website itself may be lost forever if he is not willing to transfer it over to your new hosting. What you could do is visit each page in turn and save it locally - at least that way you will have the content and images. With a bit of work you should be able to rebuild the site and keep all your ranking.

Without seeing the website and the registration information it's a bit difficult to help more.

Thanks a lot for your response.

I'm not fussed about keeping the website, it was very outdated in any case and it is a local service based business with a full diary for the next 2 months, so losing the Google ranking won't affect us in the grand scheme of things.

If I am the registered owner of the domain, do you know how would I go about regaining control? The domain was set up with privacy so there is no information on Who Is to prove whether he input my details as the owner or not, but at the time we were friends so I assume this would be the case.

Thanks again.

Edited by Noob

Use a whois service to find out where the domain is registered. You then contact the registrar and get a login to your control panel. You can then set up redirects from the old site to new - this will help retain all your ranking.

If you need help with this let me know - no charge for the service as it's a simple thing to do once you know how to do it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By YoyoGlvz
      Hello!
      I am a new webdesigner who has got her first client. 

My project with this client is to redesign his current website. The problem is that we are going to transfer the domain to my hosting service and once the transfer is complete, his website would be our of service. That's why I've decided to leave the domain as it is for now. 
      I would like to create the new website on WordPress while the current website is still ON... but how do I do this?

The solutions I have so far are:

- To create the new website in a subdomain. I have read about redirecting but  if I do that, does it mean people will have to go to subdomain.com to be taken to maindomain.com? because what I want is  to change the subdomain address to the main domain... (subdomain.com to maindomain.com) , so people go directly to it. Is it complicated to do with Wordpress?

- I have read about a temporary URL but it seems complicated.
      - My other solution is to buy another domain, work the new website there and then migrate it to the client's domain. (I don't know why this solution seems easier to me) 
      - The other solution is to create a "under construction page", that's a cool solution but I would like to avoid it.

I don't know if this sound dumb for you but I am new and I'm learning in the process. I never imagined I would have my first client this quick and now I'm freaking out.  
      Thank you in advance for your answers!

Happy Holidays!
    • By Ron6a
      Hi. I am new to this and I have through, a misunderstanding bought a domain name that is of no use to me. It seems I cannot get a refund on domain names. I am wondering if it is possible to get this changed to one that I can make use of and if so, how do I go about it?
      Thanks for any advice.
      Ron
    • By harveyl12
      Hi,

So i am looking into migrating my families website domain from one that is created in Dreamweaver with HTML to a WordPress site with woo-commerce.

My questions are...

1. I am going to be using the same host provider we have at the moment but asking them to move our domain onto a wordpress installation. What will happen with all the pages form the old site. If i have www.website.com/contact on the HTML site and then i create this same page of www.website.com/contact on the wordpress site... will the wordpress site be shown when the link is pressed in google?

2. What would happen with all my SEO stats and google rankings, will they stay the same?

3. If i have lets say a page that was called www.website.com/shop but i wanted all this traffic to be sent to www.website.com/products would i just setup these 301 redirects within WordPress. And if this /shop page is on google will my SEO stay fine if i just setup the redirect? Or will i need to create the page the same as /shop to keep my SEO ranking? I guess the redirect should work?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've only done little website migration before.

Thanks,

Harvey
    • By bedmal
      What do people think of .ooo?

I bought www.flux.ooo but due to only limited companies in Europe hosting I had to point the DNS to an alternative domain (as I wanted the servers in Europe).

Any thoughts on this extension?
    • By JobJar
      Hi

I was hoping somebody could help me.

I have made a website for a friend and transferred the IPS tag and changed nameservers, This has resulted in my friend not receiving emails. Their email address has always been enquiries@domain.co.uk which sent emails to their blueyonder email. The domain is now hosted with Godaddy, How do I get emails sent to enquiries@domain.co.uk to appear in their blueyonder inbox?

I found the following settings on Virgin Media for Blueyonder, how to I input this into Godaddy and is the information below the necessary information to do this?

Type of information
      Settings to enter
      Sending mail (SMTP)
      SMTP server name
      smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
      SMTP SSL
      Enabled
      SMTP port
      SMTP authentication
      Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
      SMTP username
      Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@blueyonder.co.uk
      Receiving mail (IMAP4)
      IMAP4 server name
      imap4.blueyonder.co.uk
      IMAP4 SSL
      Enabled
      IMAP4 port
      IMAP4 authentication
      IMAP4 username
      IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)
      Disabled
      Receiving mail (POP3)
      POP3 server name
      pop3.blueyonder.co.uk
      POP3 SSL
      Enabled
      POP3 port
      POP3 authentication
      POP3 username
      POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)
      Disabled