Sign in to follow this  
Grant Barker

Schema.org - which ones to use?

Hi everyone.

I'm relating to the schema.org documentation. 

For our main website index page - in our code we should probably use itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/WebSite"

1. What should we be using for other main category list pages like - list of news article links, list of app page links, etc.?

2. And then for each specific article page, should we be using itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Article"?

Thanks for your advice/opinions.

What you use really does depend on the page in question. I don't go for WebSite myself (unless referring to another website) but I start with what type of page it is eg. WebPage, AboutPage, ContactPage etc.

It's a big subject, if looking to dip your toe in with articles then How to Boost Your SEO by Using Schema Markup by Neil Patel is not a bad place to start.

The thing to remember with microdata is it's about marking up what's relevant, making entities such as an article or site navigational element.

11 hours ago, BrowserBugs said:

What you use really does depend on the page in question. I don't go for WebSite myself (unless referring to another website) but I start with what type of page it is eg. WebPage, AboutPage, ContactPage etc.

It's a big subject, if looking to dip your toe in with articles then How to Boost Your SEO by Using Schema Markup by Neil Patel is not a bad place to start.

The thing to remember with microdata is it's about marking up what's relevant, making entities such as an article or site navigational element.

Thanks BrowserBugs 👍.

I'll read that article. Thanks for the link. I'm curious how we should be relating to the less obvious pages, too. I've checked out quite a few sites and different ones use different labels even for the same type of pages/content.

It's another new year holiday break, so it's nice to have time to get a few things done. Cheers

Microdata is about layering context to the information found on any given page. Beyond featured snippets, it's there to help search engines gather a better understanding as to the content provided and how the information connects together at a site wide level.

For example a directory listing businesses can turn each div result into a "LocalBusiness", highlighting the "address", "telephone", "website" and "openinghours". This means the search engines need not guess what content belongs together, and by marking the page as a "SearchResultsPage" it now has a clearer idea what the purpose of the page is, it would see 10 businesses listed on a SearchResultsPage which is about that business type in that area.

If you want some sites to scan drop me a personal message, I can give you live examples so you can see it's capability. :) 

9 minutes ago, BrowserBugs said:

Microdata is about layering context to the information found on any given page. Beyond featured snippets, it's there to help search engines gather a better understanding as to the content provided and how the information connects together at a site wide level.

For example a directory listing businesses can turn each div result into a "LocalBusiness", highlighting the "address", "telephone", "website" and "openinghours". This means the search engines need not guess what content belongs together, and by marking the page as a "SearchResultsPage" it now has a clearer idea what the purpose of the page is, it would see 10 businesses listed on a SearchResultsPage which is about that business type in that area.

If you want some sites to scan drop me a personal message, I can give you live examples so you can see it's capability. :) 

Thanks. I've got the concept. I just need to list the correct terms for my pieces of content. I care more about potentially listing the wrong term than no term at all. It's on my to-do list. Cheers.