Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy Logic

Please don't repeat yourself

I have finally got around to learning javascript properly, after all these years of simply using ready-made scripts and having to make do when I had coding issues I could not solve...

Anyway, I am trying to get a javascript list that I have created to replace and not append? Currently, every time I use my dropdown the list adds more to the list already there, I need it to swap but can't work it out.. anyone know how to do this? Thanks

https://codepen.io/saltedm8/pen/bxEZBG?editors=1010

You could create a function to clear the current list items:

const removeFilteredListItems = () => {
  let listItems = [...document.querySelectorAll('#demo ul li')]
  if( listItems.length > 0 ) {
    listItems.map(item => item.parentNode.removeChild(item))
  }
}

Then you can call that function before you add new items.

function concat(x) {
  removeFilteredListItems()
  let ul = document.createElement('ul');
  document.getElementById('demo').appendChild(ul);
  x.forEach(function(list) {
    let li = document.createElement('li');
    ul.appendChild(li);
    li.innerHTML += list;
  });
}

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

You could create a function to clear the current list items:

const removeFilteredListItems = () => {
  let listItems = [...document.querySelectorAll('#demo ul li')]
  if( listItems.length > 0 ) {
    listItems.map(item => item.parentNode.removeChild(item))
  }
}

Then you can call that function before you add new items.

function concat(x) {
  removeFilteredListItems()
  let ul = document.createElement('ul');
  document.getElementById('demo').appendChild(ul);
  x.forEach(function(list) {
    let li = document.createElement('li');
    ul.appendChild(li);
    li.innerHTML += list;
  });
}

Genius! Thank you.

Just to understand the code - not sure I get the three dots before document ...document.querySelectorAll and I have not got quite as far as nodes.

Just now, Fuzzy Logic said:

Genius! Thank you.

Just to understand the code - not sure I get the three dots before document ...document.querySelectorAll and I have not got quite as far as nodes.

Yeah sorry, I'm used to the ES6 way. If you're not using Babel, I can rewrite it in ES5 if you want. Basically the process is this:

Get all items from querySelectorAll and assign to a variable called removeFilteredListItems. Both querySelector and querySelectorAll can replace older methods like getElementByID.

Variable removeFilteredListItems will return a NodeList, which is not an array (even though it looks like one), so we need to convert it to an array before mapping over the items. That's what the three dots inside brackets are doing, but there are many other ways to do this https://toddmotto.com/a-comprehensive-dive-into-nodelists-arrays-converting-nodelists-and-understanding-the-dom.

Map, essentially takes an array, applies a callback to each item in the array (in this case removing an item), and returns a new array when all elements have been traversed. It's incredibly useful, here's an ES5 example of map.

var add = function(a, b) {
  return a + b
}

var nums = [2, 5, 6, 8]

var addNums = nums.map(function(num) {
  return add(num, 2)
})

console.log(addNums) // [4, 7, 8, 10]

There are other ways to do this too, you could use the filter() method, or have the items in an object with a 'visible' property that gets toggled. This example works for the code above well enough though.

20 minutes ago, Jack said:

Yeah sorry, I'm used to the ES6 way. If you're not using Babel, I can rewrite it in ES5 if you want. Basically the process is this:

Get all items from querySelectorAll and assign to a variable called removeFilteredListItems. Both querySelector and querySelectorAll can replace older methods like getElementByID.

Variable removeFilteredListItems will return a NodeList, which is not an array (even though it looks like one), so we need to convert it to an array before mapping over the items. That's what the three dots inside brackets are doing, but there are many other ways to do this https://toddmotto.com/a-comprehensive-dive-into-nodelists-arrays-converting-nodelists-and-understanding-the-dom.

Map, essentially takes an array, applies a callback to each item in the array (in this case removing an item), and returns a new array when all elements have been traversed. It's incredibly useful, here's an ES5 example of map.

var add = function(a, b) {
  return a + b
}

var nums = [2, 5, 6, 8]

var addNums = nums.map(function(num) {
  return add(num, 2)
})

console.log(addNums) // [4, 7, 8, 10]

There are other ways to do this too, you could use the filter() method, or have the items in an object with a 'visible' property that gets toggled. This example works for the code above well enough though.

Nah, that is absolutely cool, thanks again, I will save this and look into that when I think I am confident enough in javascript to warrant moving on.