Sign in to follow this  
matthewjohn938

Sub-domains: How It Can help a website to Rank

I have some queries related to sub-domain :

How can it helpful for any website ?

Is it more effective to use www.blog.example.com instead of using www.example.com/blog/ ?

It affect the SEO of website or not?

Please share your valuable thoughts about Sub-domain

Thanks

Makes no difference either way.

What helps ranking is the content and the the relationships between each component.

You are far better off integrating the blog into the main site. That's if you even need a blog.

2 hours ago, fisicx said:

Makes no difference either way.

What helps ranking is the content and the the relationships between each component.

You are far better off integrating the blog into the main site. That's if you even need a blog.

Aren't subdomains ranked independently to the main website? That's what I always heard anyway. In that case, a company blog would surely be better on the main domain, rather than blog.domain.com.

19 minutes ago, Jack said:

Aren't subdomains ranked independently to the main website?

Yes they are. Which is why having blog.domain.com, shop.domain.com or gallery.domain.com isn't good for ranking or the user journey.

For my 2 pence worth in SEO terms a sub-domain is like a brand new domain. In all my years I've used sub-domains twice, neither were for "SEO" but rather the user portal areas e.g. myaccount.rootdomain.com, was easier to lock down an entire root than a sub-directory for the specific purpose.

I've always understood it that search engines treat subdomains as separate sites. Saying that I bet they so associate blog.example.com with www.example.com in some way even if it's not currently reflected in search results.

11 hours ago, fisicx said:

Yes they are. Which is why having blog.domain.com, shop.domain.com or gallery.domain.com isn't good for ranking or the user journey.

I think it depends. You can have a site that's split into main domain + subdomains, runs from the same content system, and sharing content across those domains - typical example you may have several entries to describe office locations, they are all published on the main site, but only the relevant ones are published on each subdomain.