Seth

Inherited Website Need Speed Help

Hi Everyone!

I inherited a site. They are having major site speed issues. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on how to speed this sucker up.

http://gmwd.us/dcpa

They want to do SEO as well, but I have got to get things in order first with the page speed.

Sort out the images.

There are 8.8Mb of images in the homepage slider. Bin the slider (because it adds no value) and you will then have a fast site.

The content of the site is boring and dire and not lead generating. The calls to action are weak and blog mostly pointless. There are no trustmarks, citations, case studies or testimonials. And it doesn't work at all well on a small screen.

Apart from that it's fine!

Not sure if you use lighthouse? If not it's worth a look and running through the list, some big old files in there.

lighthouse.PNG.c0a584372c4b692fab52d70cf733fc89.PNG

Edit: e-RGP_8259.jpg is 7360px X 4912px and a staggering 3.34MB - That's bigger than 4K UHD!

Edited by BrowserBugs

Time to first byte is incredibly high too. I would take a look to see how many redirects are setup, and if traffic goes through multiple domains. If not, your host could be letting you down here, because 2.4s is extremely high latency for a single request.

Hey Guys! Thanks a million.

@fisicx all great suggestions. 

@BrowserBugs thanks bud

@Jack just moved hosts so I'll contact them too.

1 hour ago, fisicx said:

Sort out the images.

There are 8.8Mb of images in the homepage slider. Bin the slider (because it adds no value) and you will then have a fast site.

The content of the site is boring and dire and not lead generating. The calls to action are weak and blog mostly pointless. There are no trustmarks, citations, case studies or testimonials. And it doesn't work at all well on a small screen.

Apart from that it's fine!

I'm sure that'll be on the cards, op has "inherited" the site. Here's one I've been asked to take a look at this week - yikes!

inherit.PNG.abe434edb1eaf8fed0b7ea532bf8d54b.PNG

... and that's before even looking at the content 😅

1.5 minutes to load the home page here.

I echo what everyone else has said, plus...

• It smacks of style over substance, too many pointless animations
  • Home page is full of corporate waffle/gibberish (probably "designed by committee"), if I was a customer I want to get my taxes done, not read about mergers
  • Staff page focuses too much on shareholders (corporate ego), if I was a prospective customer I'd want to learn about the people I may work with

Agree with all of this

I hope you're getting paid well to inherit an existing site.  It's something we refused to work with back in the agency days, it was always more trouble than it was worth and the work was painful, it just killed morale for the devs.

17 minutes ago, rbrtsmith said:

I hope you're getting paid well to inherit an existing site.  It's something we refused to work with back in the agency days, it was always more trouble than it was worth and the work was painful, it just killed morale for the devs.

Wow, that's really interesting... I actually LOVE inheriting sites, I find it really interesting to see how other devs went about things and always look to learn from what they did one way or the other. Maybe I'm just a bit odd 😂

Yea. The reason why I'm taking this on is because they are paying a good amount for SEO.

7 minutes ago, Seth said:

Yea. The reason why I'm taking this on is because they are paying a good amount for SEO.

Really?

Whoever they were paying was ripping them off big time. I'm sure a bunch of lawyers like they are will be able to get their money back.

There is no sign of ANY SEO being done on the site.

Dude.., I JUST got the deal. Layoff. And they're accountants.

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Dude.., I JUST got the deal. Layoff. And they're accountants.

Apologies - wasn't having a go. Just amazed that they were paying for SEO when nothing had been done

No problem. They haven't done any SEO yet. That's where I come in.

Oh, I thought you said they were already paying a good amount for SEO. Did you mean they are paying you a good amount for SEO?

The latter. They're paying ME a good amount to SEO the site.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:37 AM, fisicx said:

Is this the new Star Wars way to code?

Jaba code is the only way to code in Star Wars! 😉

Not sure if anyone else finds the following text a bit hard going on the eyes?

Accounting and tax preparation for individuals, couples, families and businesses can be a complicated and often stressful endeavor.  We partner directly with our clients to ensure that you save money, maximize deductions, and comply with tax laws.
We invite you to get to know us and search our site for information you may need.  We know that a personal appointment is usually the best way to get to know and trust us and we invite you into our office at your convenience to discuss your personal and business accounting and advisement needs.

Maybe a lighter font, or space the characters out a bit to make the text clearer.

Agree with all of this