Fuzzy Logic

Branding for local lighting maintenance company

Hello, I was looking for feedback on each of the following branding styles for a local lighting maintenance company, they maintain both retail and residential places and were looking for a more exciting brand presence. Each of these are different designs although the client can mix and match some items that are not essential to the connection between the branding and the logo so I am up for some critiques and suggestions

thanks

stylescape.png

I prefer the middle design too, although the logo of the first.

The only real feedback is that if these are 3 different designs, they're all very similar in style. All of them have the same colours, the same logo fonts, the same large solid blocks of colour, very similar fonts throughout and outlines of bulbs across all 3.

It might be that they've already agreed on the colour scheme and the logo style and layout but even the layouts of the pages with blocks are all very similar.

What's the branding going to be used for?

They sort of look like brochures so not quite sure what you are going to do with them.

Why the rock climbers and basketball player? Is that an actual wall hanging thing they created?

The colours are ok though. I quite like them.

6 hours ago, wonky said:

I prefer the middle design too, although the logo of the first.

The only real feedback is that if these are 3 different designs, they're all very similar in style. All of them have the same colours, the same logo fonts, the same large solid blocks of colour, very similar fonts throughout and outlines of bulbs across all 3.

It might be that they've already agreed on the colour scheme and the logo style and layout but even the layouts of the pages with blocks are all very similar.

They are variations to give a slightly different feel, they are research-based so to vary simple things like font thickness keeps the overall message but changes the feel enough to allow a little latitude with their decision.

10 minutes ago, fisicx said:

What's the branding going to be used for?

They sort of look like brochures so not quite sure what you are going to do with them.

Why the rock climbers and basketball player? Is that an actual wall hanging thing they created?

The colours are ok though. I quite like them.

The branding will be used for a local business, they maintain lighting in residential and retail buildings. They are not brochures, they are stylescapes, used to give a client an overall feel of the brand before they decide which they want. The significance of the rock climbers is based on the words they used to tell us they wanted the branding to covey, in that case, it was trust, in the case of the basketball player and the girl with the rope it was energy. The colours are an autumn theme that also conveys these same emotional feelings that the client wanted to convey within the brand. 

Thank you everyone for the feedback

3 minutes ago, BrowserBugs said:

@Fuzzy Logic you know me so my "design" opinion is mute, like them all and agree with most. That said, the orange text on the teal? (get me using a name for a colour) makes my eyes feel funny, could be lack of sleep but it feels a bit...

Haha, it does work, I think the issue is that it is meant to be used for things like adverts and minor slots of information, not for an epic novel lol

Just now, Fuzzy Logic said:

Haha, it does work, I think the issue is that it is meant to be used for things like adverts and minor slots of information, not for an epic novel lol

Will trust you on that one, if they find clients licking toads it might need a rethink ;)

30 minutes ago, Fuzzy Logic said:

The branding will be used for a local business, they maintain lighting in residential and retail buildings. They are not brochures, they are stylescapes, used to give a client an overall feel of the brand before they decide which they want. 

From a dev point of view this sort of thing is gold to me. I can replicate anything if you give me colour codes and the overall feel, I bet front end dev would be the same :)

Edit: Here's my "design" skills :p

404.png.b757386bdecdeaaa268e3707aed264e1.png

Edited by BrowserBugs

23 minutes ago, BrowserBugs said:

From a dev point of view this sort of thing is gold to me. I can replicate anything if you give me colour codes and the overall feel, I bet front end dev would be the same :)

Edit: Here's my "design" skills :p

404.png.b757386bdecdeaaa268e3707aed264e1.png

Colours are a little complex but you can attack it though attachment to a season, so for example this is an autumn theme because of the words they used to describe the feelings they wanted to convey. if you look at the autumn colour palette in this case you’ll get a good idea on what to use. i’d highly recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0956454534?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title and also 

I love the beetle, simple, clean and clear, I think you have more design talent than you’re aware of, you probably just need to learn a few principles and you’ll be flying.

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Logic said:

The significance of the rock climbers is based on the words they used to tell us they wanted the branding to covey, in that case, it was trust, in the case of the basketball player and the girl with the rope it was energy. The colours are an autumn theme that also conveys these same emotional feelings that the client wanted to convey within the brand.

Whoosh!. That went straight over my head. I'd never have guessed that. Which is probably why I miss the point of most branding.

Just now, fisicx said:

Whoosh!. That went straight over my head. I'd never have guessed that. Which is probably why I miss the point of most branding.

Haha, don’t worry, it is easy to see why people question it.

I am wondering if instead of using people exercising to represent energy, would it be clearer if you used a graphic showing an energy symbol or something known for collecting green energy. Maybe trust could be shown with just a closeup of a handshake. I just thought the orange was the colour of the company branding!

I think I have suffered the same as @fisicx with it going straight over my head, but I still prefer the look and feel of the middle option out of the three.

1 hour ago, GrahamUK33 said:

I am wondering if instead of using people exercising to represent energy, would it be clearer if you used a graphic showing an energy symbol or something known for collecting green energy. Maybe trust could be shown with just a closeup of a handshake. I just thought the orange was the colour of the company branding!

I think I have suffered the same as @fisicx with it going straight over my head, but I still prefer the look and feel of the middle option out of the three.

The issue with those type of images is that they are too generic and bland, the idea was to show them as an exciting and trustworthy company not one that is the same as every other.

That may be what you intended but I’m not sure it works. I showed the designs to the people I was with this afternoon and none of them ‘got it’.

In fact most of them didn’t even know what the company did (I showed the images without your opening post).

2 hours ago, fisicx said:

That may be what you intended but I’m not sure it works. I showed the designs to the people I was with this afternoon and none of them ‘got it’.

In fact most of them didn’t even know what the company did (I showed the images without your opening post).

Sorry but that is not very helpful, ‘some people’ for example, are they qualified? Do they understand the design process? Do they understand what this is? If they did they would understand that the point is not for them to ‘get it’ the point is to display to the client the overall look and feel of the brand, this part is something that only a client sees, it is about emotion, not a visual brand message, just an emotional one..

They were people from a range of business all of whom use contractors for maintenance and business development. I look after their websites and we meet for lunch each month. It not really a networking thing - it's just mates having lunch - but we do talk business.

One of the guys has an international company and spends a lot on marketing and has good eye for what works. Another runs a company selling and installing LEDs.

All they did was give their opinion. I think most of them understood the purpose of the illustrations, they just felt it needed a bit more a demo on how the branding could work on a brochure, website, poster, app etc. If we all missed the point then many apologies.

1 hour ago, fisicx said:

They were people from a range of business all of whom use contractors for maintenance and business development. I look after their websites and we meet for lunch each month. It not really a networking thing - it's just mates having lunch - but we do talk business.

One of the guys has an international company and spends a lot on marketing and has good eye for what works. Another runs a company selling and installing LEDs.

All they did was give their opinion. I think most of them understood the purpose of the illustrations, they just felt it needed a bit more a demo on how the branding could work on a brochure, website, poster, app etc. If we all missed the point then many apologies.

So they were not designers and know nothing about design... even marketers, they are great at strategy but can’t design... hence my reaction.

I think you, like many people who have never studied design entirely miss the point, the intent and reasoning, it’s not your fault, you’ve just never been taught it like these other people have never been taught it, in effect you’ve just asked a service advisor whether the mechanic fixed the car properly, how on earth would they know? I find it absurd to think that someone who deals in marketing knows the first thing about design unless they are designers working in marketing.

How the branding will be used is the next step, you might want to watch that video I posted above because I can’t explain the rational in here, it’s just too much to explain.

I’m not a designer and maybe that’s why I didn’t spot the message that the design is trying to get across, but isn’t this the problem.

Even though I liked the look of the design, I should understand what the message is without it being explained.

Like Graham said, you asked for our opinion on the designs but you now seem to suggest unless we have studied design we won’t understand what you have designed.

I’ve used design guides before in a number of projects so I understand their purpose. I still don’t get what you have created here even after watching the video.

Going out on a limb here to check I understand correctly. In a physical sense these are concepts of how the brand could appear in a variety of uses, like for example the twin street banners? At the same time the impact and feelings you get from say the basketball player says "energy" with "health" which to me is connected to "clean energy" which does tie in. Sure you could go for "power lines" or "random bloke in a hard hat with some blueprints" but that would just be cliche and a bit poop.

I like the ideas here, also the bottom one the headline looks better imo.

33 minutes ago, BrowserBugs said:

Going out on a limb here to check I understand correctly. In a physical sense these are concepts of how the brand could appear in a variety of uses, like for example the twin street banners? At the same time the impact and feelings you get from say the basketball player says "energy" with "health" which to me is connected to "clean energy" which does tie in. Sure you could go for "power lines" or "random bloke in a hard hat with some blueprints" but that would just be cliche and a bit poop.

I like the ideas here, also the bottom one the headline looks better imo.

You’ve got it, thank you..

On 9/21/2018 at 7:27 PM, Fuzzy Logic said:

Sorry but that is not very helpful, ‘some people’ for example, are they qualified? Do they understand the design process? Do they understand what this is? If they did they would understand that the point is not for them to ‘get it’ the point is to display to the client the overall look and feel of the brand, this part is something that only a client sees, it is about emotion, not a visual brand message, just an emotional one.. 

Please don't take offence to what I'm saying, I'm honestly trying to be helpful and to try and figure out what these designs actually are, but I feel like you've got 2 aspects mixed a bit with these.

It sounds like these designs are half brand positioning and tone of voice but they also feature final logo options?

For me these are very much 2 different aspects when designing

1) Brand positioning and tone of voice (sometimes split into 2-3 stages, depending on the size of the client)

This is where i meet, discuss and then present them with at least 3 different options with different colour schemes and abstract imagery to try and nail down how they want to be seen. This can include things like abstract imagery, i.e. a basketball player that can have no relevance to the actual product or company.

2) The actual logo and brand design (again, sometimes split into 2-3 stages)

Several options can be presented with logos and supporting materials - similar to how you have done above, but they would generally still be more varied. I would mock up a "page" so they could see the logo being used, but these would be more final implementations - i.e. they would be at the stage where you could show them to anyone and it would, hopefully, be immediately obvious what the company did as it would be relevant to their target audience - this is what  @fisicx was trying to do above when you shot them down! :)

I'm honestly trying to help, but kind of struggling with what stage you're at with the designs - could you elaborate a bit more?

Hth!

Matt

11 hours ago, wonky said:

Please don't take offence to what I'm saying, I'm honestly trying to be helpful and to try and figure out what these designs actually are, but I feel like you've got 2 aspects mixed a bit with these.

It sounds like these designs are half brand positioning and tone of voice but they also feature final logo options?

For me these are very much 2 different aspects when designing

1) Brand positioning and tone of voice (sometimes split into 2-3 stages, depending on the size of the client)

This is where i meet, discuss and then present them with at least 3 different options with different colour schemes and abstract imagery to try and nail down how they want to be seen. This can include things like abstract imagery, i.e. a basketball player that can have no relevance to the actual product or company.

2) The actual logo and brand design (again, sometimes split into 2-3 stages)

Several options can be presented with logos and supporting materials - similar to how you have done above, but they would generally still be more varied. I would mock up a "page" so they could see the logo being used, but these would be more final implementations - i.e. they would be at the stage where you could show them to anyone and it would, hopefully, be immediately obvious what the company did as it would be relevant to their target audience - this is what  @fisicx was trying to do above when you shot them down! :)

I'm honestly trying to help, but kind of struggling with what stage you're at with the designs - could you elaborate a bit more?

Hth!

Matt

The only step we missed here was showcasing the logos separate from the stylescapes, we should have done that first but time prohibited this part of the process.

The stylecapes themselves, they’re not moodboards or mockups, they are based on the brief the client gave us, they tell a story about the brand, showcase it’s potential and give the customer a chance to change the look and feel ever so slightly by mixing and matching if they do wish. 

I’m not prepared to write the narratives of this design here as there would be far more to write than I really want to, they are like style tiles with more pizazz, giving the customer a chance to interact in the design process and quite frankly, just become some do not understand the process or have ever heard of it before, does not mean it is wrong or a bad idea, I know no-one has suggested that but at the moment some of the blasé replies here make it feel that way. 

Lastly mockups are definitely the next stage, that is absolutely not what this is for and it is absolutely not the intent, when we present it with the narrative, we want the customer to understand our design choices and for them to understand it so they can continue to keep that narrative across all their assets, if we were following regular boring traditional branding processes, we would be between showing the logo for approval and brand mockups.

14 hours ago, Fuzzy Logic said:

they are like style tiles with more pizazz, giving the customer a chance to interact in the design process and quite frankly, just become some do not understand the process or have ever heard of it before, does not mean it is wrong or a bad idea, I know no-one has suggested that but at the moment some of the blasé replies here make it feel that way.  

Lastly mockups are definitely the next stage, that is absolutely not what this is for and it is absolutely not the intent

Thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot more sense in my mind now. I've never thought it was a bad idea, or wrong - I have been designing brands and logos for years and it just didn't sit right in my head is all, so i was just trying to figure out the logic - sorry for hijacking your thread! :)

I have always found when presenting inital concepts to people, it works best if you show them something that is consistent, but different so they can make direct comparisons, i.e. this is an a4 sheet full of images that we feel represent your brand, this is an a4 sheet full of colours that would match, this is an a4 sheet showing an example brochure cover.

OR

you go completely random and lay out the tiles completely differently so there won't be any direct comparison and it's all about portraying the feeling.

I've worked with various agencies and also on branding concepts for some very well known global companies, all the way down to a local dog walker, but just haven't seen this set approach - I just see your 3 options above as very similar but laid out slightly differently, if that makes sense?

You asked for critiques and suggestions so was just trying to help with your processes. Good luck, and keep us posted on the client feedback!

7 hours ago, wonky said:

Thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot more sense in my mind now. I've never thought it was a bad idea, or wrong - I have been designing brands and logos for years and it just didn't sit right in my head is all, so i was just trying to figure out the logic - sorry for hijacking your thread! :)

I have always found when presenting inital concepts to people, it works best if you show them something that is consistent, but different so they can make direct comparisons, i.e. this is an a4 sheet full of images that we feel represent your brand, this is an a4 sheet full of colours that would match, this is an a4 sheet showing an example brochure cover.

OR

you go completely random and lay out the tiles completely differently so there won't be any direct comparison and it's all about portraying the feeling.

I've worked with various agencies and also on branding concepts for some very well known global companies, all the way down to a local dog walker, but just haven't seen this set approach - I just see your 3 options above as very similar but laid out slightly differently, if that makes sense?

You asked for critiques and suggestions so was just trying to help with your processes. Good luck, and keep us posted on the client feedback!

Absolutely, under normal circumstances each stylescape would  have more variation than these, but one of the things we decided that was important was to keep the same basic colours, we just changed the hue etc, the reason was firstly so they and their customers did not feel completely alienated towards an already existing business, so it still had an original element and secondly because it fit exactly into their own words to describe what feelings they wanted to convey. 

The variation of font, icon, sub-imagery and of course background and logo I think would be enough to make sure the message they asked for stays within the brand and also gives them a flutter of difference for feeling.