New member saying hello.

I only build web sites for friends and family.

I have made them for a local amateur radio club, and my lawn green bowls club where I am a member.

How do others who make a website for small clubs etc where no money is input,  feel about the need to make it a secure web site?

I enquired about the cost from my web host site, they quoted £50 per year, far too much for a hobby website.

Any thoughts?

Barry

Hey Barry - the company I work for and the sponsors of this forum provide free SSLs (providing you use our nameservers) and they are reissued automatically - you don't have to do anything.

We also provide free hosting - which should be fine for you. [ADVERT FOR FREE STUFF OVER 😀]

2 hours ago, Rich C said:

Hey Barry - the company I work for and the sponsors of this forum provide free SSLs (providing you use our nameservers) and they are reissued automatically - you don't have to do anything.

We also provide free hosting - which should be fine for you. [ADVERT FOR FREE STUFF OVER 😀]

Hmmm, suspicious ... *reported* ;)

Thanks for the information, I just feel those of us who have a website for our own activities which is not selling goods or taking money are going to have our sites downgraded for being insecure, when we do not need a secure site.

Barry

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum.

I have a large website for local history that has a SSL Certificate. The only reason for having the certificate was to get an Interactive Map to work that updates your location when viewing on a smartphone. It hasn’t been very successful as I first thought it might have been, so I will be dropping the SSL Certificate being that I pay around £50 annually for it.

Many hosts now install a free SSL automatically. Look around and I’m sure you will find one that meets your needs.

google doesn’t care what ssl you use as long as you have one.