Stooly

Designing Comeback

Hi, I'm here hoping to find some like minded people who are friendly & helpful and well, who might keep me sane when things seem impossible :)

So I use to do loads of designing... always my own sites. My ex and I had a large network of sites, we did travel & gadget blogs and a lot of adult sites.... when we split up 7 years ago it all sort of just came to an end.

Anyway, I'm just in the process of being made redundant from a crappy job I hate when an ex colleague asked for help with his estate agency's website and well here I am. I'm all legit now, registered a limited company, got an accountant, got my business cards today, I have 2 clients and am seeing a potential 3rd tomorrow.

My biggest issue is time. Now that I'm on garden leave I'm hoping to give it a big push, as I have this amazing little 3 year old who takes up my free time :)

I'm doing SEO for one person.... this use to be easy, I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed. My ex was as geeky as me, together we pretty much did anything, we bounced off of one another well, learned a lot of new skills together. My husband now is a bit of a muggle, not very techy, although he's learned a lot from me, in general. But I don't have anyone around me who understands or who I can just ask about why this bloody theme won't do what it's suppose to when I click on this button...

I guess someone out there will understand :) I've had very little sleep.

I hope you are doing well and definitely more you will do well.

I just want to say this is a great initiative.. Hope for the great achievements in your work.😊

On 9/14/2018 at 11:52 PM, Stooly said:

I'm doing SEO for one person.... this use to be easy,

It still is easy, it's just different. It's not about link building anymore, it's about adding value. This means lots of relevant content, internal navigation, trustmarks, calls to action, contact details and so on. The site needs to be informative, interesting and add value. If you launch a site that is similar to others with no great benefit for those searching for information or answers then there is no incentive for google to rank your shiny new website.

But I don't have anyone around me who understands or who I can just ask about why this bloody theme won't do what it's suppose to when I click on this button...

You have this forum. Although, it's much harder to find advice on themes than it is hand coded sites. An hour a night learning to code will go a long way in helping understand how all of the pieces fit together, and will save time in the long run when you come across issues like the one above.

Welcome to the forum, I was wondering how you create your websites? Is it using WordPress and then finding a suitable theme and Plugins?

On 9/22/2018 at 11:38 AM, GrahamUK33 said:

Welcome to the forum, I was wondering how you create your websites? Is it using WordPress and then finding a suitable theme and Plugins?

Hey. Sorry I only just noticed your post!

Yeah it is doing just that.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:35 AM, Jack said:

You have this forum. Although, it's much harder to find advice on themes than it is hand coded sites. An hour a night learning to code will go a long way in helping understand how all of the pieces fit together, and will save time in the long run when you come across issues like the one above.

This.  Learning to code will be a great investment, otherwise you risk becoming obsolete, also a good developer can charge far more than somebody who is just applying pre-built themes and plugins.