RobertS

Browsers

Working on website performance reports for my clients. In Google Analytics, I am noticing the majority share of traffic is coming from 1 - The Chrome Browser, and 2 - mobile devices (iPhone in specific).

Am I the last person on the face of the earth to use IE Edge as a browser for desktop?

You're certainly in a minority. Microsoft lost the crown to Chrome/Safari/Firefox years ago, and despite Edge being a massive improvement on IE (often faster than the other popular browsers), people don't trust Microsoft anymore. It's become a habit that as soon as you get a new Windows machine, you install a new browser.

I kinda feel sorry for Edge! But I think most people are happy to see MS fail...

A lot depends on the services you offer. If it's B2B you may get more Edge users because that's the default browser on corporate machines. Otherwise the results are pretty much as you see them.

I've got one site that targets PC gamers and under 4% of the visitors use Edge.

Don't get me wrong. I also have Chrome and Firefox for testing, but I just cannot get used to Chrome as a default browser. 

On another note, Edge claims to be the fastest browser but on the SpeedTest site by my ISP, Chrome actually outperforms. Weird. 

I noticed a while back the most desktop users are using Chrome, I was taken back with that as well as I thought it would have been IE or Edge.

On 8/31/2018 at 5:43 PM, RobertS said:

Am I the last person on the face of the earth to use IE Edge as a browser for desktop?

😁 That did make me giggle out loud!

I moved to firefox in 2002... and to chrome not long after & have never even thought about IE again. Some people at work used it & the companys web based databases wouldn't work with it, so I myself forcefully moved everyone to chrome.

It was oddly satisfying. I like how chrome syncs so well everywhere... and well my google account is the center of me.

I decided to stick with Edge a couple of years or so ago, and it's still my main browser. I used to install plenty of browsers for testing but just have a few now, including Chrome.

It seems that 79.5% of my site visitors would disagree with me though, as they appear to use Chrome, too.

https://caniuse.com/#feat=flexbox

So IE and Edge get somewhere between 5-10% usage in the UK.  Edge is actually pretty decent browser and Microsoft of late have been releasing some really good software (some of it for free!) like VS Code which is so good it's now my editor of choice pushing out Atom and Webstorm.  Good things are going to be coming out from Microsoft over the next few years.  Watch this space…