drkirkby

Would apprecaite how best to add text to my logo

I have circular logo for my company. That's cyan and red. I don't want to change that, as I have it on stationary, some labels attached to products sold etc.

I do however want to add the logo to a website, with the company name. At the minute, my design is the one you see with "Kirkby Microwave" written in a gray text, to the right of the circular logo. I'd appreciate any thoughts of its design, or how it could be improved. The site it is on is https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/ I think there are a number of issues with the design of that site, most noticeably the menu structure is a bit poor, and the site looks dated. But that's not my main concern at the moment. I want to get a decent logo.

Currently the site is written with a text editor (vi) using XHTML and CSS, but it looks as though I will need to use something like WordPress in order to give the site a more modern feel.

logo-512x512.jpg

logo-with-Smith-Chart-and-gray-text.jpg

Edited by drkirkby
type

The thing to remember is the 'logo' as such is the circle, where the text ends up will vary on use, for example to me these are all the same logo for different uses, like when you need it mono, square, wide, medium etc.

kirkby.png.cdaae48ed9d0168704ce6be88b9dc9c9.png

The grey text to the right looks ok, but a designer would be able to tell you more.

1 hour ago, drkirkby said:

Currently the site is written with a text editor (vi) using XHTML and CSS, but it looks as though I will need to use something like WordPress in order to give the site a more modern feel.

You should upgrade to html5 with css, WordPress will not make your site have a more modern feel anymore than Joomla would, it's the design and markup that makes it feel more modern.

23 minutes ago, BrowserBugs said:

You should upgrade to html5 with css, WordPress will not make your site have a more modern feel anymore than Joomla would, it's the design and markup that makes it feel more modern.

Yes, I'm sure you are right, but one needs the design skills which I lack. I'm a scientist/engineer, and feel a bit out of my depth in trying to improve it. There was quite a discussion about my site here

https://www.graphicdesignforum.org/t/suggestons-to-improve-site-particularly-menu/2887

with most people telling me to hire a professional to use WordPress. The problem I have with that, is as a small company I don't feel I can justify the expense. Also, skills improved on the site I use  for commercial gain, can be taken to other sites I administer, like for my radio club  https://www.dhars.org.uk/  where paying a pro is just not an option at all.

I have made some changes to https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/ following some feedback received, so some of the comments on that forum may make no sense.

Edited by drkirkby

Most of the points raised on that thread are valid, but WordPress isn't always the answer, it's a CMS with lots of pre-built styles and scripts. If you're a scientist / engineer then you'll understand logic, and your site so far has been coded by you? If so then you must understand the basic markup. HTML5 is not much different than XHTML 4.0, sure it's got new features but <a href=""></a> is still the markup for a link ;) 

10 minutes ago, BrowserBugs said:

Most of the points raised on that thread are valid, but WordPress isn't always the answer, it's a CMS with lots of pre-built styles and scripts. If you're a scientist / engineer then you'll understand logic, and your site so far has been coded by you? If so then you must understand the basic markup. HTML5 is not much different than XHTML 4.0, sure it's got new features but <a href=""></a> is still the markup for a link ;) 

I did not design the CSS menu, but the XHTML I did myself with the unix text editor vi. All pages validate as XHTML strict, so I don't suppose it would be rocket science for me to convert them to HTML5. The basic structure is sound. I'm not a web designer, but if you look at the source code, you will see it is reasonably clean - compared to other sites I look at anyway!

What I lack is really the "design flair". I was never any good at art at school, and are basically not an artistic personal. Technically, I think I'm reasonably competent, although I admit my knowledge of CSS is a bit lacking, but at least I know the basics, and know how to use Google!

Dave

Keep it simple. Reduce the size of the logo to size of the business name. Put the business name to the right of the logo. That way it will all be aligned and looks a whole lot better.

As to the site, you have a very niche product used by skilled techniciand and engineers. They will generally be quite happy with the simple layout you currently have.

There are a number small changes (particularly the menu structures) you could make that would make a big difference to the site but in general it does what it says on the tin.

Browser bug's version (the two on the right hand side of his image) work best as far as readability go - you could make the black slightly off black - say #333 - and that more condensed font works better too (looks like google fonts' Oswald)

Browser bug's version (the two on the right hand side of his image) work best as far as readability go - you could make the black slightly off black - say #333 - and that more condensed font works better too (looks like google fonts' Oswald)

Exo works nicely as a tech font - and limiting your text areas to around 700 px at 16px font size means you don't end up with uncomfortably long lines - quick mockup ;) (the cyan is too ZX81 spectrum for headings and large areas

Web 1920 – 1.pdf

2 minutes ago, BrowserBugs said:

Bebas Neue ;)

I'll get my coat... :) did notice actually later that the "R" was a little different.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:26 PM, BrowserBugs said:

Yeah but wordpress has some niceeee themes 

2 hours ago, drk11 said:

Yeah but wordpress has some niceeee themes 

They also have a lot of crud. Probably more crud than good themes.