Gee_suss

Copy of website to test server not displaying correctly!

I need to put a link in the footer and create a new privacy page for this website (www.mala.co.uk). The footer is in php and is pasted into the code of each page. What I have done is created a test server and I have copied all of the files via ftp to this new location so I can make the changes.

What I have found is that the website does not display correctly and none of the CSS or PHP is showing. Even though all I have done is copy all the files from one place to another.

I did not create the website and I am wondering if the previous developer has done something to stop it being amended or copied. I am somewhat a novice but though I would be able to make the simple changes.

PLEASE HELP! Kind Regards...

mala1.jpeg

mala2.jpeg

Most likely because of absolute paths to the stylesheets etc. Open chromes developer tools and check for missing resources under the network tab.

Um, I don't think the test server is running php? Went to the demo and in the source code of http://malatest.gavinrain.co.uk/ has <?php include("header.php"); ?> which means it didn't include http://malatest.gavinrain.co.uk/header.php which is where all the styles are.

Forgot to say if php is running, then I can only assume you're trying to include a file with php in a .html page which won't work, the page including must be a .php page. 

Edited by BrowserBugs
Forgot summit

23 minutes ago, fisicx said:

Agree with @BrowserBugs. There are also a number of other issues with the site that could be addressed while you are doing the updates.

Oh yes this is a site that could be massively improved!. Please tell me what you have seen?

2 hours ago, BrowserBugs said:

Um, I don't think the test server is running php? Went to the demo and in the source code of http://malatest.gavinrain.co.uk/ has <?php include("header.php"); ?> which means it didn't include http://malatest.gavinrain.co.uk/header.php which is where all the styles are.

Forgot to say if php is running, then I can only assume you're trying to include a file with php in a .html page which won't work, the page including must be a .php page. 

Hello. I just checked with the domain provider to check if PHP is running on my account, they said it is so PHP must not be the issue. The previous developer has used a PHP header and footer to what I assume is to make those elements consistent across all pages like a template. What I want to do is just add a small link named 'Privacy' to the footer and then have that linked to a page with the privacy terms and conditions on it.

But I am having problems just getting it to look right. In my experience I have only ever used HTML and CSS so I am really confused. It is only a simple change I have to make but I am lost to where to start!.

4 hours ago, Nillervision said:

Most likely because of absolute paths to the stylesheets etc. Open chromes developer tools and check for missing resources under the network tab.

Hello. Do I have to change the paths in the actual pages or in the CSS style sheets? I will take a look in chrome for sure.

8 minutes ago, Gee_suss said:

Oh yes this is a site that could be massively improved!. Please tell me what you have seen?

I'm a bit busy right now but the obvious thing missing from every page are your contact details. They should be in the footer along with links to your privacy policy.

The site isn't working because it may have been saved locally as an HTML file not PHP. Check the filenames and make sure they are index.php not index.html.

If you want help send me a PM. It's probably a 5 minute fix so I can do this for free.

35 minutes ago, fisicx said:

I'm a bit busy right now but the obvious thing missing from every page are your contact details. They should be in the footer along with links to your privacy policy.

The site isn't working because it may have been saved locally as an HTML file not PHP. Check the filenames and make sure they are index.php not index.html.

If you want help send me a PM. It's probably a 5 minute fix so I can do this for free.

Hey fisicx, I hope all is well and you are having a splendid day. Many thanks for your reply. Yes I totally agree the website can be massively improved for sure. I hope hope that this change would be simple and I could create a test server and copy it across and then work on it myself. I am having the problem getting it to display properly.

The pages are html with the header and footer pasted in as PHP. This is a new technique for me but I suppose the last developer did it in his own way.

All I have done is a direct copy from one place to another. What I don't understand is how I can do this and it does not display properly. It shows correctly on its original server.

It is a very simple thing to do. What is the file name of your homepage?

Is it index.html? If so rename it to index.php

24 minutes ago, fisicx said:

It is a very simple thing to do. What is the file name of your homepage?

Is it index.html? If so rename it to index.php

Hi fisicx. It worked! the index page is now displaying correctly, many many thanks, it is much appreciated. But the problem is also when I click the link 'HOME' even though I have changed the page from html to php it is not working correctly.

Is there a quick answer why it is html on the original server and displaying correctly? I will have to do this for all of the pages now?

Would you recommend PHP for developing webpages?

I now have to create a new privacy page and add a small link in the footer.

Edited by Gee_suss
Addition after testing the site

It's probably HTML on the server because they did some sort of URL rewrite (because they don't understand 301 redirects).

You will need to save every page as .php

Or better still move the whole site to a CMS and discover a whole new world. You will realise what you have been missing for so long.

14 hours ago, fisicx said:

It's probably HTML on the server because they did some sort of URL rewrite (because they don't understand 301 redirects).

You will need to save every page as .php

Or better still move the whole site to a CMS and discover a whole new world. You will realise what you have been missing for so long.

A content management system? implemented through wordpress perhaps?