Correct.

Google has been telling people this for a number of years so it shouldn’t be a surprise. There was a period when they added a ‘mobile friendly’ message to the snippets in the SERPS.

20 hours ago, GrahamUK33 said:

Would that mean the website is then demoted as it is not using the today's best practices?

I don't think you'll get demoted per say, more responsive sites will perform better. 

The “Speed Update,” as we’re calling it, will only affect pages that deliver the slowest experience to users and will only affect a small percentage of queries. It applies the same standard to all pages, regardless of the technology used to build the page. The intent of the search query is still a very strong signal, so a slow page may still rank highly if it has great, relevant content.

Source Google.

If your website is responsive then according to google ranking policy your website will be ranked higher but if the website is not responsive then there exists a issue with mobile SEO. Now a days people prefers to use mobile phone so your mobile view of the website matters more.

1 hour ago, Dezvolta said:

If your website is responsive then according to google ranking policy your website will be ranked higher but if the website is not responsive then there exists a issue with mobile SEO.

That is not correct. Google has never said this. What Google has suggested is sites that deliver a poor UX on a mobile phone may not rank as well as similar sites that have a better mobile UX.

So you may have a responsive site but if it's slow and awkward to use on a phone you may lose ranking.

I always heard it depended on where the search happens. There are now two indexes. One for mobile and one for desktop.

There is only one index. But what you see depends on the device you are using, where you are, your search history, the time of day, what site you have been looking at recently and a zillion other things.

The results are very rarely the same for two people.

15 minutes ago, fisicx said:

There is only one index. But what you see depends on the device you are using, where you are, your search history, the time of day, what site you have been looking at recently and a zillion other things.

The results are very rarely the same for two people.

Like searches "X near me" :)

Indeed. Except of course Google already knows where you are so you don't even need to add the location to your search.

I've been using google maps more and more for searches on my phone. Much simpler as I can get the directions to the place I want to be.

I thought there were two indexes now. Or coming up soon.

3 minutes ago, Seth said:

I thought there were two indexes now. Or coming up soon.

Nope. Don't know where you heard this but there is only one index. It just happens to be a 'mobile-first' index. There will be a bit of a transition but Google has done this many times before.

On SearchEngineLand.com and SearchEngineJournal.com. But I could have misread.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BrowserBugs
      Hi Gang,
      After some consideration reading posts on here I figured a good basic list of resources would be good. Not sure if a mod will lock this so it can be updated at a later date, might be nice to stop the "what is this SEO" type posts but any other peeps using with GOOD tools feel free to chip in.
      The Beginners Guide to SEO - Moz
      Read this! And before asking anything, read this! Seriously, read it; covers everything from how search engines work to tracking success. 90% of your questions will be answered before asking anything.
      Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Starter Guide - Google
      PageSpeed Insights - Google
      Yes, site speed is a factor, no quantity of keywords will fix these, this is 'SEO'.
      Microdata - Schema
      Mixed debate, personal favourite of mine, if nothing else have cool breadcrumbs under your listing.
      Structured Data Testing Tool - Google
      See what Google picks up from your structured data and clarify errors.
      HTTP / HTTPS Header Check
      A great way to see if the supposed 301 is real or if you're giving 302s instead.
      Redirect Checker
      Similar but also checks the number of redirects.
      Learn SEO - Moz
      Freaking great set of resources. If you're still stuffing keywords into titles and descriptions then you need to start here!
      Canonical vs NoIndex - Moz
      Yup, another Moz post but before thinking Canonical is a silver bullet read this.
      XML Sitemaps: The Most Misunderstood Tool in the SEO's Toolbox - Michael Cottam, Moz
      Worth a read, especially the consistency section.
      News & Rumours
      Google Algorithm Change History - Moz
      SEMrush Sensor
      Google PageRank & Algorithm Updates - Search Engine Roundtable
      Paid Tools
      SEMrush
      Moz Pro
      Advice
      Link Spam In Forum Comments Work Very Badly (Thanks @Rich C)
    • By GrahamUK33
      This is a bit of a strange one, I have recently been using Google Chrome Lighthouse v3 and noticed that under the SEO check it reports that the ‘Page is blocked from indexing’The report also shows that the Blocking Directive Source is /robots.txt
      robots.txt
      User-agent: * Disallow:  Sitemap: http://www.mywebsite.co.uk/sitemap.xml  
      I have removed the following from the webpages, as after a bit of reading I found that these settings are not really needed, unless a webpage is to be not indexed or not followed.
      <meta name="robots" content="index, follow">  
      Looking through Google Search Console, it shows that the webpages are being indexed, and all the pages can be viewed using site:www.mywebsite.co.uk
      What’s going on, any ideas what is causing the Lighthouse report to show the ‘Page is blocked from indexing’.
    • By Mario89
      I created my first website. Please tell me, what can I change and improve?
      http://mario89.smarthost.pl/
    • By Robert Peet
      Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place of the forum / has been discussed 10 millions before - I'm a web design noob so not sure what to search for.

A few days ago my site was struck off google for the search term 'Manchester Wedding Photographer'. A few days before that a new 'domain address'' appeared in search console (top address in the attached image). A coincidence? I have redirected this to my usual address however it has so far made little difference. I also recently added a few more pages to my site however the content and metatags etc are unique so I doubt this is what is penalising me. 
      I'm currently using Wix, which I know is universally despised, but I did at least have some presence on google until recently (varied between pages 8-10).  I plan to move to wordpress, it's just finding the time. If I could rectify this problem in the meantime, that would be great.
      I'd welcome all advice.
      Many thanks
      Rob
      www.robertpeetphotography.co.uk

• By Mazahar Khan
      Hello mates, In my website meta title is not caching by google. Anybody know what is this. my whole website is crawled and indexed but meta title of one page is not crawled.

Thanks in advance.