Sign in to follow this  
Analytical Madness

Who Wants to Create My Website?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for someone who wants to create either a website or a Wordpress theme for me. No actual design is required. All of the graphic elements have already been created and the basic design ought to look something like this (https://analyticalmadness.wixsite.com/analyticalmadness). The site is meant to serve as a way for me and a partner to regularly publish articles, so there would have to be an in-built easy way for us to do that every week without asking a web developer again.

So, anyone up for the job?

I hate to break it to you but that website is absolutely ghastly, even taking into account it is a wix site, the design is absolutely horrendous. I'd also ask you to post your budget with your request as sometimes cheeky people like to ask for free stuff.

39 minutes ago, Fuzzy Logic said:

I hate to break it to you but that website is absolutely ghastly, even taking into account it is a wix site, the design is absolutely horrendous. I'd also ask you to post your budget with your request as sometimes cheeky people like to ask for free stuff.

Alright, what don't you like about it?

Also, I'm not here to ask for any free stuff. But the budget depends on exactly what the other person is offering.

I try to find the good in every website but in this case, I'm sorry but there is nothing positive, from my perspective, this is nothing to do with like or not, I try to judge on UX, UI and design principle standards as listing what you like or don't like can be very unhelpful because 'like' is subjective.. As it goes it is certainly not to my taste and there is nothing 'right' that I could write about it.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Logic said:

I try to find the good in every website but in this case, I'm sorry but there is nothing positive, from my perspective, this is nothing to do with like or not, I try to judge on UX, UI and design principle standards as listing what you like or don't like can be very unhelpful because 'like' is subjective.. As it goes it is certainly not to my taste and there is nothing 'right' that I could write about it.

Alright, then write what you think is wrong with it.

This has been discussed at length in your other thread.

If you want a magazine blog using wordpress all you need to do is install one of the many themes. It will take you about 30 minutes to set up.

None of your graphical elements will be of any real use if you want responsive website.

If you want to know what's wrong with your site all you have to do is narrow your browser.

Just now, fisicx said:

This has been discussed at length in your other thread.

If you want a magazine blog using wordpress all you need to do is install one of the many themes. It will take you about 30 minutes to set up.

None of your graphical elements will be of any real use if you want responsive website.

If you want to know what's wrong with your site all you have to do is narrow your browser.

I was actually not originally looking to discuss if anything was or wasn't wrong with my site, I was asking if anyone wanted to either design a site or more likely a wordpress theme for me.

I've looked through the existing themes, but none of them fit what I want.

As for the narrow browser thing, I'm assuming that wouldn't be a problem with something like a Wordpress theme.

1 hour ago, Analytical Madness said:

Alright, then write what you think is wrong with it.

Everything...

1 hour ago, Analytical Madness said:

I was actually not originally looking to discuss if anything was or wasn't wrong with my site, I was asking if anyone wanted to either design a site or more likely a wordpress theme for me.

As for the narrow browser thing, I'm assuming that wouldn't be a problem with something like a Wordpress theme.

The 'narrow browser thing' you refer to is called responsive, putting it simply, when you make a website you need to make it so it works in not only different desktop/laptop screensizes, but also so it fits and works properly on mobile phones and tablets, for example, look at the image I have attached, how are you going to read that on a mobile phone? 

Wordpress will not solve this problem because it is a problem solved with media queries in css, it has nothing to do with wordpress at all. 

I'm also betting that you, like so many I have heard in the past are only going on about wordpress, not because that is the best solution for you, but because someone said 'its great', i'll tell you there are many solutions that may be suitable, don't just close up options just because of hear'say.

asset.PNG

4 hours ago, Analytical Madness said:

You have looked at all 12,000 themes?

Wordpress isn't responsive, the theme is.

And think on this. It doesn't matter what you like, it only matters what your readers like.

You don't need wordpress, you just need to escape from wix.

Update, it seems there are more themes than I thought. My guesstimate is around 25,000 themes.

But if you want to replicate your non-responsive layout then you need something bespoke. What’s your budget?

15 hours ago, Fuzzy Logic said:

Everything...

The 'narrow browser thing' you refer to is called responsive, putting it simply, when you make a website you need to make it so it works in not only different desktop/laptop screensizes, but also so it fits and works properly on mobile phones and tablets, for example, look at the image I have attached, how are you going to read that on a mobile phone? 

Wordpress will not solve this problem because it is a problem solved with media queries in css, it has nothing to do with wordpress at all. 

I'm also betting that you, like so many I have heard in the past are only going on about wordpress, not because that is the best solution for you, but because someone said 'its great', i'll tell you there are many solutions that may be suitable, don't just close up options just because of hear'say.

asset.PNG

Everything is not a particularly helpful response, I'm sorry to say.

As for the image you've attached, it's certainly not flawless. But I also don't see any impedement to reading it. Not that you're supposed to read much more than the titles on this page.

But Wordpress allows for responsive themes. Things that adjust based on things like phone size.

First of all, I'm not "going on" about Wordpress. I asked whether someone could make me either a website (but if it costs thousands of dollars that's too expensive for me and most times I've contacted people about it their prices have been 2000-3000 dollars for their most basic package) or a Wordpress theme. Secondly, you're not aware of this but I have considered many, MANY alternatives. I have tried a bunch of website builders. I started specifically NOT wanting to use Wordpress. But every single time that I've used a website builder I've run into some sort of problem and at this point pretty much the only alternative I have left that I'm aware of is Wordpress and asking someone to build me a custom theme.

So do you have another alternative?

12 hours ago, fisicx said:

You have looked at all 12,000 themes?

Wordpress isn't responsive, the theme is.

And think on this. It doesn't matter what you like, it only matters what your readers like.

You don't need wordpress, you just need to escape from wix.

I have looked at a few hundred and tried out a few dozen that seemed to fit best. But the fact is, it would take forever to do that for 25.000 themes. It's looking for a needle in a haystack.

Either way, a Wordpress theme could help me.

For me both matter.

I'm well aware, I'm just out of ideas. I don't see any other alternative to Wordpress at this point.

2 hours ago, fisicx said:

Update, it seems there are more themes than I thought. My guesstimate is around 25,000 themes.

But if you want to replicate your non-responsive layout then you need something bespoke. What’s your budget?

Well, I don't want my layout to be non-responsive. In fact one of the main reasons why I stopped using my previous website builder and tried Wix was because it couldn't make the pages responsive. When I'm talking about replicating the above, I'm talking about creating a version that looks very similar (similar colour scheme, the same or similar looking graphic elements, etc.) with things in similar places (that banner up top, the featured article to the right, etc.) but which can also adjust to cellphones, tablets, etc.

As for my budget, it depends on what is being offered. But no matter what I certainly can't go over 1000 dollars.

If that's all you need there are thousands of themes that do just that as it's about the simplest layout there is. I would however rethink having the RH column. More people use mobile devices (phones and tablets) for browsing entertainment sites than they do a desktop. Which means your featured article column will get pushed down to the bottom.

Your header will have to change as well as that image won't fit on a 400px wide screen.

Sending you a PM

I can make that site for you without any problem, and smarten it up a bit and make it responsive. I am very used to making good sites on a limited budget.  If you want to talk a bit about what's a requirement, what's optional and what's unnecessary I will give you a price.

My own site is a bit neglected and for various reasons I haven't made a lot of new websites in the last year, but here: www.cyberpress.biz

what country are you in?

Edited by TimW

On 3/5/2018 at 1:55 PM, Analytical Madness said:

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for someone who wants to create either a website or a Wordpress theme for me. No actual design is required. All of the graphic elements have already been created and the basic design ought to look something like this (https://analyticalmadness.wixsite.com/analyticalmadness). The site is meant to serve as a way for me and a partner to regularly publish articles, so there would have to be an in-built easy way for us to do that every week without asking a web developer again.

So, anyone up for the job?

My word, that's one awful looking website. It's looks very dated. 

I am going to stick my neck out here, which might not be a wise idea seeing as I only signed up five minutes ago, however here goes:

Wix is Ok for what you likely want. Granted it isnt be best solution, however that website is incredibly poorly done. If you have a brain about you, you can get a decent looking website on wix that works well on a phone/tablet.