Hi Gang,

After some consideration reading posts on here I figured a good basic list of resources would be good. Not sure if a mod will lock this so it can be updated at a later date, might be nice to stop the "what is this SEO" type posts but any other peeps using with GOOD tools feel free to chip in.

The Beginners Guide to SEO - Moz
Read this! And before asking anything, read this! Seriously, read it; covers everything from how search engines work to tracking success. 90% of your questions will be answered before asking anything.

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Starter Guide - Google

PageSpeed Insights - Google
Yes, site speed is a factor, no quantity of keywords will fix these, this is 'SEO'.

Microdata - Schema
Mixed debate, personal favourite of mine, if nothing else have cool breadcrumbs under your listing.

Structured Data Testing Tool - Google
See what Google picks up from your structured data and clarify errors.

HTTP / HTTPS Header Check
A great way to see if the supposed 301 is real or if you're giving 302s instead.

Redirect Checker
Similar but also checks the number of redirects.

Learn SEO - Moz
Freaking great set of resources. If you're still stuffing keywords into titles and descriptions then you need to start here!

Canonical vs NoIndex - Moz
Yup, another Moz post but before thinking Canonical is a silver bullet read this.

XML Sitemaps: The Most Misunderstood Tool in the SEO's Toolbox - Michael Cottam, Moz
Worth a read, especially the consistency section.

News & Rumours

Google Algorithm Change History - Moz

SEMrush Sensor

Google PageRank & Algorithm Updates - Search Engine Roundtable

Paid Tools

SEMrush

Moz Pro

DeepCrawl

Screaming Frog SEO Spider (Free/Paid)

Advice

Link Spam In Forum Comments Work Very Badly (Thanks @Rich C)

Edited by BrowserBugs
Updating List

For me, SEMrush is the best all-round SEO tool: for both value and functionality.

I'm no fan of Moz - which, I admit, is at least partly a result of my inherent dislike of Rand Fishkin.  

Now he's gone, hopefully it will improve! ^_^

Pinned!

EDIT: and thanks for the useful list!

46 minutes ago, fisicx said:

The MOZ guide is now very dated (2015 was a looooong time age) and SEO has moved on a lot in that time.

Yup, but even back then many things remain, this is targeted at the "what is the SEO" viewers at the mo. Not sure when this 'quality content' fad will end ;) 

59 minutes ago, Rich C said:

For me, SEMrush is the best all-round SEO tool: for both value and functionality.

I'm no fan of Moz - which, I admit, is at least partly a result of my inherent dislike of Rand Fishkin.

I'm not a Moz fanboy, totally rely on SEMrush but at the same time some fundamental basics are covered by the Moz authors, especially the 2011 Canonical vs NoIndex - so many people think canonical everything and we'll be fine :)

Edit: Sorry for the new post, thought I had pressed save but alas new post.

Edited by BrowserBugs
Sorry

2 hours ago, BrowserBugs said:

Not sure when this 'quality content' fad will end ;)

Probably never. It's been the core of SEO since day one. Google has been telling people to provide informative and interesting content for yonks.

12 hours ago, fisicx said:

Probably never. It's been the core of SEO since day one. Google has been telling people to provide informative and interesting content for yonks.

Lol yeah was part joke and part some old information is still very relevant :)

11 hours ago, davep said:

just tried https://www.semrush.com

for the first time ever, put in one url and it started to do its thing and then said i'd reached my limit. lol.

Like most paid services they give away hardly anything as they want you to subscribe. Same for Moz Pro keyword explorer, you're allowed 20 free per month unless subscribed.

The best thing to do is research niches you can use Google trends or you can use buzzsumo. Then you can use the adwords tools to research the keywords and optimise pages of those site. Then build backlinks and  social signals using Facebook Twitter etc. You can also build relevant links from high quality sites while optimising the site.

On page SEO:
On page SEO refers to changes you can apply on the website so that it is optimized for search engines. The most important on page SEO Tips are:
* Keyword Analysis
* Content updating
* Image Optimization
* URL optimization
* Meta tag Optimization
* Heading tag optimization
* Search Engine optimization
* Page loading time optimization
Add a good analytics program like google analytics or gostats to track the traffic, analytics play an important part in any successful campaign
Off page SEO:
Off page SEO refers to techniques that can be used to improve the position of a web site in the search engine results page.
* blog Submission
*Q & Answer, Forum
* Social bookmarking
* Classified Submission
* Article Submission
* Press release Submission
* Ppt and Video Submission"

2 minutes ago, samrbriggs said:

Can anyone recommend any good websites/blogs for learning more about backlinks? 

The sites in the OP's post are good: SEMrush, Moz and the like. Just make sure they're recent articles.

Neil Patel offers some excellent advice on seo. Breaks it down into chunks that I can understand as seo can be daunting. Also as already mentioned Brian Dean (backlinko) also writes some brilliant posts. Lot's of quick wins.

On 5/3/2018 at 12:05 PM, samrbriggs said:

Can anyone recommend any good websites/blogs for learning more about backlinks? 

Hello Samrbriggs,

At openborder we make use of https://backlinko.com/backlinks-guide. i found this article quite informative . You can also check out SEMrush and Moz blogs

In 2019 on-site SEO is becoming even more important than off-site SEO (especially backlinks). You need to focus on performance optimizations (there are a lot of resources online from server optimizations to performance enhancement plugins for different types of CMS software) and mobile experience (namely Accelerated Mobile Pages - AMP and Progressive Web App - PWA) for your website.

45 minutes ago, Miriam Guimel said:

and mobile experience (namely Accelerated Mobile Pages - AMP and Progressive Web App - PWA) for your website.

Do you actually know what AMP is? AMP is not an SEO thing. It's a way for Google to cache news stories that you can read without having to visit the source website.

And a PWA isn't going to help either. It may deliver a great user experience but building one won't boost your ranking

2 hours ago, rupaturkar said:

SEO(search engine optimization) is process of ranking website on google. There are two type Onpage and off-page seo. Both are important for seo ranking.

Have you even read the thread?