TimW

a wix site. Is that automatically a desaster?

This is the preview of the new site of a much loved local organisation. I am a bit suprised to see it's a wix site. They must have be paying a professional wix person to do this - do they exist? Aside from some obvious problems like not going mobile is wix in itself a desaster?  When I look at the source I get 

<body>

<div id="SITE_CONTAINER"></div>

</body>

so I can't see anything much. Can google see it?

The link: https://quantockhills.wixsite.com/quantockhills

isn't not going mobile or being responsive at all enough of a disaster! :) it's also bloated and slow... hmm when i helped someone with their wix site a couple or more years ago there was a mobile view part to the builder so you could make some it somewhat responsive.

design starts off ok then gets messy

When I looked on my phone it had 'gone mobile' but not when I used a small browser window on a desktop screen. Since you can't see any html or css who knows why?

5 hours ago, TimW said:

This is the preview of the new site of a much loved local organisation. I am a bit suprised to see it's a wix site. They must have be paying a professional wix person to do this - do they exist? Aside from some obvious problems like not going mobile is wix in itself a desaster?  When I look at the source I get 

<body>

<div id="SITE_CONTAINER"></div>

</body>

so I can't see anything much. Can google see it?

The link: https://quantockhills.wixsite.com/quantockhills

You're rarely going to get anything of use from viewing the source these days.  You're better off using dev tools such as those that ship with Chrome.  If you right click and inspect element on that site you see all the markup under the elements tab.
You won't see anything by viewing source because this website is built with React JS which in this case is rendering markup on the client.  I have to say though it looks pretty horrible.  Many other frameworks now leave rendering to the client so it will be the same story.

Worth noting that React can be server rendered, but many React projects don't do this as it adds additional complexity.

Edited by rbrtsmith

If you want to rank on Google don't use wix.

If they go live with the wix site they will lose all their ranking. They currently have a whole load of pages indexed by google - these will all disappear.

Edited by fisicx

9 hours ago, rbrtsmith said:

Worth noting that React can be server rendered, but many React projects don't do this as it adds additional complexity.

They base the platform on a drag and drop builder that renders React components from a set of JSON instructions. That's what it looks like to me anyway.

{
type: "Component",
styleId: "txtNew",
id: "comp-jbz4z84y",
dataQuery: "#dataItem-jbz4z87b",
layout: {
width: 280,
height: 374,
x: 20,
y: 2428,
scale: 1,
rotationInDegrees: 0,
fixedPosition: false
},
propertyQuery: "mobile_propItem-jbz4z87c",
componentType: "wysiwyg.viewer.components.WRichText"
},

I'm not entirely convinced this is working well for them. They can't bundle anything without having Webpack running on the server (at that scale would probably require an entire build infrastructure), they can't manage dependencies correctly, so they include them in the source as separate files, testing seems to be difficult at best, and server rendering seems almost impossible as well.

They might have been better off using React for the page builder and rendering templates directly inside Node, the only way they might be able to do it currently is using pre-rendering, but then there are difficulties around invalidating cache.

I have always thought that Wix was for those people who want a website by using a drag and drop system. I wonder how much organic traffic it gets.

Looking on the meet the team page, it looks as if the website may fall under the Development Officer being that he is responsible for ICT Support. @TimW Why not make contact with them and volunteer your services, it maybe good to have in your portfolio.

I've already contacted them and they are using wix to save on costs and because they want full control of the site...

They don't care about anything except connecting the site to their SM pages. Apparently the people who use the website (and Google) don't matter.

Wix websites are not SEO friendly
I contacted to wix admin for its SEO friendly, they Guided me but what I discover that -
Done on-page for 10 pages - Change titles
when I open the Pages then what I discover is as follows -
1. When I click to page 1 then it loads showing same title as what is at Homepage, but after mili seconds automatically refreshes then the title change.

On 24/01/2018 at 11:27 AM, fisicx said:

They don't care about anything except connecting the site to their SM pages. Apparently the people who use the website (and Google) don't matter.

I wonder if anyone is going to find the website via a Google search and in turn click on links to their Social Media pages. Maybe the penny will drop when they find out the website is about as much good as a chocolate tea pot! :blink:

2 hours ago, Jitendrayadav said:

Wix websites are not SEO friendly....

There was a time when the google bot wouldn't even read a wix site, so they are getting better!