GrahamUK33

Looking for constructive criticism/feedback

While being a member of the Web Designer Forum, it has given me some inspiration and help to redesign a website that I did a few years ago. The project was also to help me refresh some of the limited HTML and CSS skills that I have.

The project is still work in progress, I still have a few things to do such as:

• Social media meta tags
  • A mobile Menu
  • Find a solution for the selector buttons to update on the Slideshow

I have reached the point of asking for some constructive criticism/feedback for some further inspiration. All though I am not a professional, it would be nice to be able to get the website found in a Google search and for it to be functional on all devices. At this stage I am not sure if I will be creating anymore pages, local history is one of those subjects that could lead to many pages being created.

Please view the Newbury History at www.newburyhistory.co.uk

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings... but it looks like a site from 20 years ago. Mainly because of the shadowed headings.

Anyway, looking past the styling, it does what it says on the can - but could be some much more. The history on the homepage would be much better split into sections and had images.

The image sliders on the inner page would be better as static images with captions. Much better usability. And make every image as big as possible.

Make the timeline simpler - don't use an accordion, just show the whole list - and add images!

I'd also bin the huuuuuuge hero image - it fills the screen on every page and adds no real value.

I've been looking as other history websites and there are a lot of discrepancies. Might be worth mentioning alternate events

However...

It's a great project and has lots of potential. Well done

ditto what fisicx said :)

the fully justified text doesn't work very well - nearly always best to stick with  left aligned. the line height is a bit on the generous side too i would reduce it a little and add a touch more padding around the columns. in fact i would prefer a centred column of text rather than two columns  - more like medium (like https://medium.com/@the_economist/new-lift-technology-is-reshaping-cities-f86bc51174c1?zv=true ) interspersed with more photos so it's not quite such a wall of text :)

the blue is too saturated - the accordian blue is a better fit! 

seeing as this is a site about berkshire you might liike something like this for the headings https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Berkshire+Swash minus the drop shadows

jpegs for your book pictures not pngs

why 3D text for a history site? ;)

@fisicx @davep thanks for the feedback, the last thing I wanted to do was have a 20 year old design, as most history websites already have that image which is what I wanted to move away from with some modern features. I wanted to use blue to reflect the colour that is associated with the town.

The shadow behind the headings were to make them stand out a bit more, I’m not sure if this has made them look too heavy. I like the idea of having a different font as suggested for the headings, but only if I can host them locally on the website.

The justified text is used in the hope that it would fill the pages neatly like a newspaper, I did make the line height quite large in the quest of making it easier to read, what would be the ideal line height to use?

I have done a timeline page on another history website, it has become quite a large page. The idea behind the accordion feature was to help keep the page down without the need of lots of scrolling. I know I can create links to move up and down the page, but I wanted to move away from that.

The scrolling images in the header is a feature that I have found used in a lot of modern websites that I liked the look of, this is the main reason it has been included. I suppose the only value is that it shows some views from the past of the town.

The slideshow at the bottom of some of the pages was a way of trying to show a bigger image rather than having a number of smaller images which I thought would make it look image heavy and old fashioned. The end target is to convert all the PNG images to JPEG images, and to have captions for the images to explain what the image is.

Hopefully the above has given some reasons behind my thoughts on the design. Are there any websites that you have designed to show as an example of design and features that would better display a local history subject?

Make the page narrower and have a single column. 12-14 words per line is a good benchmark.

Separate the content into sections: Early Settlers, Middle Ages, Industrial Revolution etc. Or just keep it simple and mark the centuries.

Link out to more detailed pages as you have done but I'd use buttons rather than inline links. Example

Don't use a slideshow - just put full sized images on the page. Example

The header slider is used on a lot of sites but it's ineffective. One good static image is all you need.  And reduce the height so it doesn't fill the screen. Or create a montage of images, each one linking to a page explaining the image and providing more info.

On the homepage you have an image of Newbury Bridge. This should link to a new page with the history of the bridge, more images, a map location and so on. This could then lead to a page about the canal, it's history and influence on the town....

I appreciate this is  still a work in progress but people like to follow links and explore.

Edited by fisicx

i often use this asa guide to the right  measure (or line length) https://css-tricks.com/bookmarklet-colorize-text-45-75-characters-line-length-testing/

line height depends on several things but asa a general guide 1.3–1.6 is best - the attached is 1.5 (that's a simple multiplier, not rems like you have) but 1.4 would perhaps be more suitable for a fairly narrow measure... nothing wrong with using a generous measure, but too large and the eye gets lost going from the end of one line to the next - using the inspector in your browser will let you edit the css on the fly (without saving it) to instantly test out a value - right click and choose "inspect" or similar or ctrl +shift +i, find the relevant tag .e.g. any p tag and then find the css rule select it and use the up and down arrows  or alt+up or down for 0.1 increments

the problem with using long columns on the web is that you hardly ever view the whole page at once - so you have to scroll back up when you reach the end of the first column to begin reading the second. single column would be better imo with left aligned text. it also seems to somehow have more focus than 2 columns, where  the eye  is distracted to some extent by the other column just being there :)

i think accordians work best when you need to scan the avaible options first and get an overall picture - say a list of FAQs but a history is more of a homegenous entitity and it's more natural to scroll through the whole things as a 'story' rather than dip in and out of years

measure.jpg

@fisicx The idea of the homepage was to just introduce what the website is about and to give a very summary of the history of the town. It also gives me a chance to advertise some of the pages that make up the project. Another way of looking at it is to tick the box of having enough content, links and alt tags for Google.

I’m interested to know what the advantages of having a button over a link would be apart from when using a touch screen. Apart from the menu, I have some text links and image links to entice someone to select to view another page, which in turn helps with the bounce rate.

As you mentioned the image of Newbury Bridge and the canal, which are both very recognisable for the town. These subjects would both require some research for content to create a couple of pages. For now, the website is 15 pages which should give me something to work with.

I think what I have done is trawled the internet in a quest to find inspiration and found features rather than a complete modern looking design. Thanks for the link to the Triumph TR website as an example, it is of an old-style design that is very typical of a car club, history websites do tend to be the same as well. I suppose most of the audience is of the older generation that don’t mind that design.

I have not achieved what I set out to achieve with the design of the website. This maybe down to not finding a design that I am capable of creating, or finding a modern looking design that would work well to display a history content.

For inspiration I have been looking at sites that contain a lot of articles with text and photos for example: https://www.formula1.com http://www.williamsf1.com http://formula1.ferrari.com I’m sure these types of websites would have a team of very talented people to create and maintain them, and they would be completely out of my league to create.

@davep I am going to use a single column of text on all pages and follow the rules of 45-75 characters on a line. Looking at the example on css-tricks.com they are controlling the text size using percentages at different breakpoints, is this a good way to control text size to be viewed on all devices?

How to I set the line height to 1.5? do I use 1.5px or 1.5em?

I did look at the BBC History section which is where I got the inspiration for the accordion feature. I was looking at this feature to control the length of the page, I don’t know why the BBC have used it as when you full expand their accordion, the page isn’t that long. Here is an example of a timeline I have done for a large website at www.hinckleypastpresent.org/hinckley.html as you will see it a large page, and there is still a lot more that can be added to that page which will increase the size even more. I couldn’t find anything else to use other than the accordion feature to overcome this problem.

It is interesting to look through National Geographic to see how they display their images. They use a mixture of pages with lots of images and pages with slideshows. The images that I have are old photos, most of them wouldn’t be of the quality to be show at full screen, they are also a mixture of different sizes. I have edited some to the same size, by cropping and stretching but this hasn't been ideal.

usually i use  a range of text sizes sized with rems but essentially larger  for desktop, and a bit smaller for small tablet down. line height set as (without any measurements) it just means one-and-a-half times the size of p and therofore will scale with the size of p. if it is 16px then line height will be 24px, for 15px it will be line-height 22.5px

p {
  line-height: 1.5;
}

the example you linked to would maybe fit an accordian because it is so long, though i'm not sure that's necessarily a problem. on your page it's not anywhere so long so maybe doesn't warrant an accordian

Edited by davep

2 hours ago, GrahamUK33 said:

@fisicx The idea of the homepage was to just introduce what the website is about and to give a very summary of the history of the town.

Why complicate things? The only reason for anyone to be on the site is because they want historical information about the town. So that's all they needs to be on the homepage.

The TR car club link was just to show you how you can display images - rather than use a slider. People using tablets and phones are used to vertical scrolling. A horizontal slider is less intuitive.

Buttons work well on small screens as the target is bigger than a tiny inline link.

Forget about the layout/design - they key to success is the content. Put all your efforts into creating great content. People won't care too much about the layout if the content is good.

I like the site in general. It's interesting, too. The only off-putting thing for me is the blue, especially the top header, regardless of it being Newbury's colours, as you said.

That blue kind of reminds me of the original default blue for url links, or that of a Bic pen.

Each to their own of course. But the site is lovely and simple to use, and it's great for people wanting to know about Newbury, especially if it's their town, or they grew up there and moved away, etc.

The sitemap won't be noticed by people, I don't think. People want to see the options they can click on or be informed or entertained by more obviously.

I personally don't enjoy shopping much, but I found myself searching for shops. Maybe to get a feel or look at life from that normal street-life perspective. It's always interesting to see those kinds of photos for everyday life.

Nicely done. It should be interesting to see how it develops.

Living or moving away from home or the past has helped me to understand how important memories are, and it's great to look back fondly or proudly at places and times. So, I'm sure your site will have a deeper impact along the way for some folk.

(Sorry if I reiterated what others said. I didn't read all of the posts. Just wanted to give my 2 cents.) 

Edited by Grant Barker
typo

Update

I have been looking at all sorts of modern designs to better show the subject of local history, I haven't found anything suitable so far. What I have done is to try and improve on what I have until I find a design that I can use. The changes I have made have reflected on some of the feedback given.

The hero image at the top of the page is staying, it’s a feature I like and shows three locally well-known areas from the past. I have increased the width to make it viewable at 100% on more devices.

The colour scheme has changed, the blue now used is much more softer. The background colour has a very light blue on the left/right of the page that merges in to white in the middle of the page, this is to help draw the eye to the middle.

The headings have had the 3D shadows removed to make them a bit more clear to read, they are also a percentage of the main text size, ie H1 is 250%.

I have changed the font, and made the text column much more narrow, this is to reflect the practice of 45-75 characters per line along with a line height of 1.5. Following this practice should make the text much more easier to read now.

Some work has been done for the mobile menu to make it work better on mobile devices. I couldn’t work out how to include a close button on the menu, would visitors expect to see a close button?

The 3 adverts have now a 'read more' buttons to help to show that these areas can be clicked on to view another page. This is a feature that I have a few variations of on many company websites that seem to work well.

I have not found a better solution for the timeline page that is using the accordion feature. This feature works nicely using a mobile and gives the visitor a bit on interaction to view a section of interest. This page is most likely to grow a lot more with dates/events.

Also the slideshows have not been looked at yet, I have noticed that some companies use slideshows to display their images. Looking at this in another way, having a slideshow could increase the amount of time a visitor stays on a page.

After reading through this, why not just pick a free WordPress theme and stick it on some cheap hosting and then write some content, rather than trying to mess around with text sizes and colour schemes. Trust me, content is what you need! It's 2018 you don't need to start making HTML websites from scratch when you don't know what you are doing. You can invest your time into things that matter like the reason people will go to the site. I'm happy to provide you with some hosting space if you need to get started?

I didn't like the comment in one of your previous comments about the website visitors likely being older so you don't want a 'modern site' what a load a nonsense. Older people don't buy older cars, houses, etc because they are old.

The reason I am in this forum is to learn more about HTML, CSS and get some help with JavaScript from time to time. When I get to the point of not getting anywhere and feeling that I am not achieving anything with creating my own websites, I will then look at WordPress and themes.

I’m aware that content is what its all about, but the reason I have redesigned the website is because it is only 15 pages which is enough to work with. I do have another website that is just under 600 pages, that would be just too much at this stage.

Most of the visitors to my local history websites have been of the older generation, they tend to be mainly the ones who care about it. I can only go on my web stats and online group to know that. I wanted to break away from the typical style that is used for local history websites, but I don’t think I have achieved that yet, I am still on the hunt for something that catches my eye.

17 hours ago, GrahamUK33 said:

Most of the visitors to my local history websites have been of the older generation, they tend to be mainly the ones who care about it. I can only go on my web stats and online group to know that.

But there could be school children doing research, people from around the world looking for information and so on.

I'm 59 - probably in the 'older generation' group and I like sites to look modern and be simple to use on my iPad.

The accordion on the timeline is a right pain as I can't swipe to find events.

I use my iPad in landscape and the hero image you use is way too tall. It means I have to swipe on every page to access the content.

I get that you want to learn how to code but usability and accessibility are major components of learning to code.

I am sure there will be all age groups visiting, but I am just recognising that my main audience will be of the older generation. I am only 10 years younger than you. :hi:

I got the inspiration for the accordion from BBC History, I thought it would be a good way to keep the page smaller. The timeline on my other local history site is a good example of how big a page can get, and there could be more events added. I have noticed that some websites seem to be using a CSS Timeline that has a box per Century split by a spine, there are some nice examples, but the page would not decrease in size using this feature.

Are there any better examples of displaying a timeline that could grow in to a long list of events?

Does it matter if it's long?

I'd add jumplinks at the top linkimg to each century and leave it as one long page. It makes it much easier to scroll.

It's what I did here: http://quick-facts.co.uk/calender/chrono.html

It's an old page that hasn't been updated since 1998 but is still popular, has a low bounce and even ranks well for some dates.

The length of the timeline seems to be subjective, some do not mind scrolling all the way through while others what to get to a part of the list. 

My first thought was to do a list with links to various parts of the page, helping quick navigation around the page. It does seem to be an old way of doing things, but still effective. I will have a look around to see if I can find any inspiration on design.

Thanks for showing the example, it’s an interesting long timeline events. I would be interested to see how you would go about displaying it in a modern design. :good:

I'd leave it just as it is. The site ranks well, gets good traffic and has a low bounce. No need to change what works.

I have now updated my Timeline page, I have removed the ‘Accordion’ and replaced it with just CSS styling, I'm sure @fisicx will be glad to see the back of it. ;)

The thought behind the large text is to show the beginning of each block, I have made it a light colour to not distract too much from the made content. I have my tin-hat on ready for the flak, I am not sure I even like it but it’s a start. :hi:

I'd probably remove the hover effects if there's no call to action. Visual indicators like hover usually give the impression something is meant to happen.

First of all thanks for making good use of my pure CSS slider @GrahamUK33 :) If you want I can place a HQ link on the tutorial page so people can see an example on a live production.

Back on topic: When in doubt. I think it is always good to give the user a choice. Some users like scrolling, other users might prefer other options. To accommodate for this you could place a bar at the top of the timeline with either inputs for filtering or simple links, like @fisicx suggested. Here's an example fiddle:

https://jsfiddle.net/Nillervision/9z3sqm1o/

Edited by Nillervision

Looks much much better.

But...

The BIG century dates are too big and the dates look like buttons and grey borders look odd.

Keep it simple: H2 for the centuries and possibly bold for the dates. anything else is superfluous.

Not sure the borders are needed, and the hover adds no value.

When we scan a document the eye tracking is halted when we come to borders. This adds extra processing by the brain and slows down the scan. A simple list means you can quickly head for the bit your want.

Nils' fiddle is exactly the right sorts of layout.

@Jack I may make some of hover effect static which may sort that issue out.

@Nillervision Your video kept me busy for a while. I know some don’t like it, but I think the CSS Slider is a great feature. You are welcome to add a HQ link as the feature is staying. Thanks for the menu example, I was wondering what to do about the navigation around a potentially large page and that is a good example.

@fisicx Crikey don’t hold back lol :blink:

I’m still not too sure on the H2 headings. I did initially have the H2 headings at a normal size, it just made the page look like a shopping list. I know all the styling is superfluous, but if there was no styling on the page it would be just a white page with a list of black text which is not a look I would like to achieve.

I am wondering if this old saying applies - you can’t polish a turd… but you can if you varnish it first! :lol:

11 minutes ago, GrahamUK33 said:

I did initially have the H2 headings at a normal size, it just made the page look like a shopping list.

And the problem with that is?

Nils' version looks just fine.  The simpler you make it the more usable it becomes.

And the hero image is still too big. When you land on the timeline page all you see is the image. You have to scroll to see anything. If you really want an image on the page make it shorter so you can see the top of timeline.

Even on my phone I can't see the timeline until I scroll. and the button dates force the content over to the right making for short lines which are more tiring to read. Removing the boxes would give you more room on smaller screens.

PS: I was with a bunch of ancient crusties yesterday and we were talking about t'internet and they all use their phones to browse for stuff.

The problem I found with the H2 heading at normal size was that it just made the page in to a mass of text, like a shopping list for Napoleons Army. As I said, I am not totally sold on the large H2, but it does break the list up more. I used a very light colour to help it not completely take over the page.

I have used the same colour for the background in the dates as in the header and footer to help make a theme, without any styling they just tend to look too plain.

I have looked at the page on my iPhone SE which has the smaller screen. I could move the date from the left to above the text and make it a bit smaller when viewing in 320px portrait mode.

The old photos that I used in the hero image slider have been cropped a bit in height, but for me to crop them more will spoil the look of the photo. It’s a feature that I like and gives 3 good views from the past that are instantly recognisable to anyone who has visited the town. I’m sure your bunch of ancient crusties would be happy to scroll past the Hero images once the have enjoyed the nostalgic view.

Change the colour of the H2 and it will break up the list. People will be only this page because the want the timeline or are looking for a specific date. A long list is what they want as it simple to scan.

If you are going to move the date above the entry, make it so for everything.

The slider is OK on the homepage (but only just). It doesn't need to be on any other page. Think about it like this, They have landed on the homepage, and seen the first slider image (they won't see the other two) and scrolled down or clicked on the timeline link. They are are now on the page they want so no longer need to see the nostalgic view.

Or...

Don't use slider but put a different image on each page.

I am not expecting everyone to land on the homepage, but to land on any of the other pages that make up the website. I did think about using different hero photos in the slider for each page, the main problem would be finding old photos of that size. The other issue would be that one someone has landed on a page, those images in the slider would be saved in the cache making the next page a bit quicker to load.

One of the tasks I need to do is to optimise all the images when I am happy that I am not going to change the size of them, this will help with the load times a bit more. The slider at the bottom of some of the pages is another area that I need to look at.

I quite like the yearly date at the side of the text as it seems to act as a bullet point, and when you scroll down looking in that area you can see the date changing without any text in-between. Having said that, I do recognise that it does squash the text up while using an old iPhone in portrait mode. This would be the reason why I would only make the change for the 320px breakpoint (the next breakpoint is 480px). Phone screen have become quite big, I have the iPhone SE is the last mobile in the Apple range to use the smaller screen.

OK I get all that and understand your reasoning but the images at the top are just too tall. It fills the screen so I have to scroll. And while the nostalgia trip is great, very few people will eve see past the first image. There is this thing called banner blindness - we have become used to the hero image being a promotion so we scroll straight past.

Have the slider on the homepage if you want gut it doesn't need to be on every page. If I've googled for a date and get your timelime in the serps then that what I want to see. If I want images then there are plenty of way to display these on the site to do the memory lane thing.

I suspect however that you will not be swayed by my argument and the hero image/slider will stay.

As to the timeline, remove the century border, reduce the padding/margins for smaller screens and make the font a tad smaller and you will have room to float the date to the left.

@Nillervision Thanks for the menu example, I have now included it on my Timeline page. I noticed that when a button is selected, the menu scrolls down and stops over the top of each H2 heading in each section.
What is the best way to sort this out using the current styling?
The only thing I have come up with to sort it out is to add <div id=”12”></div> in the previous <section></section>

Connecting this tread to another where you questioned why people use wordpress I thought I'd add some thoughts here.

In and earlier post you made comment about the number of pages and work involved in adding new pages

If you used a CMS (of which wordpress is just one) adding new pages becomes so much simpler.

All the headers and footer are easy to manage (you just add a new link the the menu) Adding images is simple because you choose them from a media library. The CMS will help find pages for internal linking. You will be able to edit pages knowing you can revert to previous versions. You can make sitewide changes without breaking links or layouts.

You would still be able to build the site using HTML/CSS so all the skills you are practicing here would still be valid, the only thing you wouldn't heed to do is copy and paste code each time you create a new page, the database would do all the heavy lifting for you.

This is why developers and designers use a CMS rather than build static HTML/CSS sites.

On 27/1/2018 at 4:21 PM, fisicx said:

Connecting this tread to another where you questioned why people use wordpress I thought I'd add some thoughts here.

In and earlier post you made comment about the number of pages and work involved in adding new pages

If you used a CMS (of which wordpress is just one) adding new pages becomes so much simpler.

All the headers and footer are easy to manage (you just add a new link the the menu) Adding images is simple because you choose them from a media library. The CMS will help find pages for internal linking. You will be able to edit pages knowing you can revert to previous versions. You can make sitewide changes without breaking links or layouts.

You would still be able to build the site using HTML/CSS so all the skills you are practicing here would still be valid, the only thing you wouldn't heed to do is copy and paste code each time you create a new page, the database would do all the heavy lifting for you.

This is why developers and designers use a CMS rather than build static HTML/CSS sites.

Though these are all valid arguments for using a CMS it is not certain its the best solution for OP.

Static HTML/PHP files loads faster than CMS pages because there are no database queries.

With a little PHP knowledge you can include a header, menu, footer etc. on a 'static' page as well instead of copy/paste. 

Wordpress and most other CM systems performs database queries based on parameters in the url. This makes the site much more vonurable to attacks than a static site. 

The query parameters can also give a beginner problems with duplicate content/multiple urls. The same goes for different post types.

All in all a CMS is very powerfull but it takes a lot of experience to set it up the right way. For someone with HTML skills, but no knowledge of backend development, static are often a better solution.