YoyoGlvz

The best solution for my problem? (WordPress, domain, new site)

Hello!
I am a new webdesigner who has got her first client. 

My project with this client is to redesign his current website. The problem is that we are going to transfer the domain to my hosting service and once the transfer is complete, his website would be our of service. That's why I've decided to leave the domain as it is for now. 
I would like to create the new website on WordPress while the current website is still ON... but how do I do this?

The solutions I have so far are:

- To create the new website in a subdomain. I have read about redirecting but  if I do that, does it mean people will have to go to subdomain.com to be taken to maindomain.com? because what I want is  to change the subdomain address to the main domain... (subdomain.com to maindomain.com) , so people go directly to it. Is it complicated to do with Wordpress?

- I have read about a temporary URL but it seems complicated.

- My other solution is to buy another domain, work the new website there and then migrate it to the client's domain. (I don't know why this solution seems easier to me) 

- The other solution is to create a "under construction page", that's a cool solution but I would like to avoid it.

I don't know if this sound dumb for you but I am new and I'm learning in the process. I never imagined I would have my first client this quick and now I'm freaking out.  

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Happy Holidays!

Create a sub domain and install wordpress. When you are happy with the new site copy the whole thing to the domain root. That way the old site remains live.

I have a domain I use for just this sort of thing. I create a sub-domain for each new project and once complete create a clone and install in the correct location:

Wordpress has some good advice on how to do this: https://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

But I usually use the duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Hi @YoyoGlvz and welcome to WDF :)

The easiest thing to do IMO would be to create the new website on a subdomain or a subdirectory so the current website is live while you're working on the new one. Once ready you can then simply move the new website to root.

Perhaps you'll need to read more on how to move Wordpress from one directory to another or from one hosting to another.

Here are a few search results to get you started:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=move wordpress site from subdirectory to root

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=move wordpress site from subdomain to root

Here's what WP codex says: https://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

----

In addition to the above - you could use a plugin of some sort I guess, but should you decide to learn how to do it without a plugin, it's pretty easy:

- copy all the files in the directory where you have your WP installed.

- replace all dev urls (if any) with the live site url within all files.

- paste the files in your root directory (delete everything there prior to moving the new files, make a backup, etc.)

- get a dump of the database

- replace all dev urls within the database with the live site url

- create a new database and import your sql dump

- edit WP-config.php if needed, to update the DB username and pass.

That's pretty much it and you may need to go to Permalinks and press save to flush the permalinks (in case all internal pages return 404 after the transfer).

---

Hope that helps. Feel free to post if you run into any troubles :)

The duplicator plugin does all the heavy lifting for you. Install on the source domain and create a new package. Download the zip and the installer file.

Copy both to the root of the target and run the installer. It's a very neat plugin and once it's done it's job you can delete.

Makes life so much simpler

Edited by fisicx
correction

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RobDoyle
      Just curious on how the members here like to build their websites, or do you use an array of methods?
    • By Mr-Silly-Bear
      Hi,

I could really do with some advice regarding a project my company should (hopefully!) be starting soon.

The client is a relatively large business, and the project involves over the course of 12 months redeveloping about 24 websites, made up of restaurants, event venues, and cafes.

In an attempt to make this project easier and more cost-effective we suggested to the client we set up a base set of web components (forms, navbars, footers e.g.) and put together 3 templates (restaurant theme, event venue theme, cafe theme), with a layer of branding CSS to help the individual arms of the business retain some branding differentiation.

As a result of this component idea I suggested to my MD we look at using a decoupled CMS-Frontend architecture, taking advantage of Nuxt.js (my new favourite toy!) and it's component-based methodology for the frontend, and using WordPress as the CMS. With this framework we would be looking at creating a custom set of components, 3 WordPress themes, and 3 front-end Nuxt.js templates for the corresponding themes.

Other than some difficulty finding appropriate UK hosting for our needs this was looking like a good solution, however my MD has told me that he was going to quote the client £10k for the templating project because he doesn't feel the client would be happy paying anymore. I responded by saying really that's not enough for the type of architecture we have been talking about.

The question I have is; am I wrong to say £10k is not enough for this project?

My experience tells me that £10k is fine if we remove the front-end framework from the equation. As keen as I am to do this project in the way I've described above the number in my head was more along the lines of £20k. Am I way out on this one?

Appreciate any advice I can get on this. Thanks!

• By Analytical Madness
      Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any idea which is the best completely free open-source software I could use to create my website.

I've been using a program called Open Element up until now. But it has some shortcomings including text which changes size depending on the webpage and it doesn't have a built in search engine.

The type of software I'm looking for must be drag-and-drop since I only know a little bit of coding. It must also allow me to use a search engine, preferably through something built in, and it must have a good way to change how it displays pages on mobile. Finally, I'm looking for something more like Wix than Wordpress. So something where I have relative freedom to change the themes, increase the size of images, change the layout, move things around freely, etc. as I wish.

It must also allow for good SEO.

Note that I don't need a url or webhosting, since I already use GoDaddy for that purpose, but only need the design software.
    • By Ron6a
      Hi. I am new to this and I have through, a misunderstanding bought a domain name that is of no use to me. It seems I cannot get a refund on domain names. I am wondering if it is possible to get this changed to one that I can make use of and if so, how do I go about it?
      Thanks for any advice.
      Ron
    • By rainland
      Hello all,

I'm planning on making a website, which will have a calculating web form in it.
      The form will have to do various basic mathematical tasks like multiplication and division for example.
      Also a very big plus for the form would be the possibility to save and load it (I'm thinking like either a database where you could save using a specific string and load by it or save as a xml file to the local computer or something).

Now the qustion is what would be the best way of implementing this kind of site/tool?

I know html5 and css and am fairly adept in C but everything else (javascript, php etc.) is unknown to me. Now, learning a new language will not be a problem because I will have lots of time to develop.

I was thinking WordPress because of its ease of use and ive found this plugin but I am unsure of whether it will be able to have the save/load function.

What do you guys think? How would you do this? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feel free to ask any additional questions if I've missed something.

regards,
      rainland