Jo 90

New site! Let us know what you think.

We've updated the design of the site - we hope you like it!

As I write many of the posts are still being moved over: it's taking hours! Some of the changes are still in the queue so please bear with us while this happens. It should be completed by the end of today.

There are lots of other changes in the pipeline but your feedback on the forum's current state would be invaluable, thanks.

EDIT 20/12/17:  After much strife we found a 'hidden' setting that prevented standard members posting here. Sorry, you can post here now.

Edited by Rich C
Blame the new software ;)

6 minutes ago, Jo 90 said:

We've updated the design of the site - we hope you like it!

As I write many of the posts are still being moved over: it's taking hours! Some of the changes are still in the queue so please bear with us while this happens. It should be completed by the end of today.

There are lots of other changes in the pipeline but your feedback on the forum's current state would be invaluable, thanks.

I'll have a proper look later but looking good!! ?? 

Thanks for the replies so far. You'll be pleased to hear that we've addressed a couple of issues too.

@Nillervision: we've added-in a sidebar with a few stats so that the posts aren't so wide.

@citypaul: we can't move the advert I'm afraid. We fixed the issue with post reactions. You should be able to see who has liked/laughed etc. now.

There haven't been any comments about the removal of the Leaderboard, which I neglected to mention in my first post!

Is it something you miss?

While I think of it, a possible helpful  mod. I haven't scoured the IPB addons to see if available!

Close topics after x weeks/months of inactivity
- really this is to prevent old threads from being restarted

@BlueDreamer Yes, we're considering that.

However, having an automated tool is difficult, because just because a post is a few years old, it doesn't necessarily mean that commenting on that thread should be prevented. Let's say someone has given some advice that's no longer up to date? We don't really want to have out of date info on our site so it would be good if a member could be allowed to update it.

Also, some of our most popular posts are over 5 years old! I'm checking them for out-of-date info (only 65,000 to go!), so just deleting old posts is also not the best idea.  

So yeah, any ideas would be appreciated...

5 hours ago, Rich C said:

However, having an automated tool is difficult, because just because a post is a few years old, it doesn't necessarily mean that commenting on that thread should be prevented. Let's say someone has given some advice that's no longer up to date? We don't really want to have out of date info on our site so it would be good if a member could be allowed to update it.

Also, some of our most popular posts are over 5 years old! I'm checking them for out-of-date info (only 65,000 to go!), so just deleting old posts is also not the best idea.  

The problem could be solved by closing the topic for everyone except the OP (and maybe users who have already commented on the topic)

7 hours ago, Jo 90 said:

@Nillervision: we've added-in a sidebar with a few stats so that the posts aren't so wide.

I'm liking it too. Nice and clean, and it feels like the place I want to hang out for inspiration and advice. It's nice to more easily spot the usual people here and it's a fresh start for a new year. It's good to see hard work pay off. Thumbs up and thank you. I wonder if you'll be keeping the same logo or changing that in the future.

I constantly get nagged to turn on notifications. I have disabled all notifications but the nag still displays. Most annoying.

One thought; I just spotted we have a 'E-Commerce' section; would that not be better under server side or CMS? Either they will want to connect their CMS to a payment provider or they'll want to implement a payment api server side for processing .... just a thought.

4 hours ago, fisicx said:

I constantly get nagged to turn on notifications. I have disabled all notifications but the nag still displays. Most annoying.

Yes, that is annoying. I presume you mean the block in the top left that says something like 'Allow WDF to send you desktop notifications?' If you choose 'block', it should leave a cookie (if you allow them) so you don't get it again.

A temporary work-around would be to choose 'Allow' and then turn off all the notifications in Account Settings > Notification settings.  Again, that should leave a cookie so you don't get it again. Let me know if this doesn't work.

I'm having trouble replicating your issue but I'll let you know what happens, thanks.

2 hours ago, BrowserBugs said:

One thought; I just spotted we have a 'E-Commerce' section; would that not be better under server side or CMS? Either they will want to connect their CMS to a payment provider or they'll want to implement a payment api server side for processing .... just a thought.

Agreed - I've moved it under CMS. Thanks for the feedback.

17 hours ago, Rich C said:

Would it work if topics were automatically closed if they haven't had a reply for 6 month or so?

Is it possible to have default blocks on the homepage? I have added status updates and recent posts back in, but I'm not sure if every user would be aware that the option is there.

Also, in the past, we've had an extremely high number of requests for cat emojis from users. I think we should be looking into this now that the forum has changed hands.

25 minutes ago, Jack said:

Would it work if topics were automatically closed if they haven't had a reply for 6 month or so?

Is it possible to have default blocks on the homepage? I have added status updates and recent posts back in, but I'm not sure if every user would be aware that the option is there.

Also, in the past, we've had an extremely high number of requests for cat emojis from users. I think we should be looking into this now that the forum has changed hands.

Hey Jack

The problem comes when someone has given out of date information. We need to allow members to update these topics.

The default blocks are: Recent, Recently Browsing, New and Recent Status Updates. So you should get those before you start moving them around. Only mods and admins can do this.

And now on to more important concerns:

:cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

(it's the word cat with colons around it)

18 hours ago, Rich C said:

Good points.

Auto closing of threads seems to work well on other forums, one I mod at for instance closes threads if there have been no replies for 3 months and we've never had a problem. If a 5 year old thread is still going with people posting regularly (i.e. more frequently than every 3 months) it wouldn't get closed.

We do get bots/spammers answering many posts in succession, even old ones, to get their post count up - favourite targets are "SEO" posts as you'd expect! Auto closing would help alleviate that problem.

Finally, all forums have old posts with old information. That's part of the course really, a fact of life,.

41 minutes ago, rbrtsmith said:

For Emoji's can't we just use the standard Emoji that is used everywhere else like Slack?

Emojis work on here already, but the emoji selecting thing in the editor displays a different set.

Test - :smile: :tada:

Doesn't seem to work…  the list even in full view is not the same icons as Emoji see -> https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html

Edited by rbrtsmith

The forum has a better feel to it now, I like the colour theme as well giving it a fresh new look. From what I can see everything seems to work, if I find something I will let you know.

Well done with the progress. :)

Hello jo90. I have been around here off and on for two years.  Who the heck are you? What is 20i? Who runs this spam trap? what is it for? What is going on? Why is there a redesign? How can there be three prizes when there are only two regular posters? These are just questions that occur to me as a casual drop-by member. Do you think you owe us any answers? I guess not. Huh? Meh. Internet. yeh.

4 hours ago, TimW said:

Hello jo90. I have been around here off and on for two years.  Who the heck are you? What is 20i? Who runs this spam trap? what is it for? What is going on? Why is there a redesign? How can there be three prizes when there are only two regular posters? These are just questions that occur to me as a casual drop-by member. Do you think you owe us any answers? I guess not. Huh? Meh. Internet. yeh.

7 hours ago, TimW said:

Most of this seems fairly obvious to me - 20i are hosting this website, it's only right that they have some form of advertisement - they are a business not a charity.  The redesign was much needed, the new theme works much better on mobile devices and has clearly been well received.

The competition is to drum up interest - saying there's only 2 regular posters is a massive exaggeration, yes the forum has been quieter more recently.  hopefully the changes will bring back some of the regulars who I think were growing a little tired of the amount of spam finding it's way onto the forum.

I don't know jo90 either, but she's clearly put a lot of work into the revamp so thank you Jo!

I like that you can react to comments in the status bar. Talking of the status bar, it looks like it's pulling data from Twitter - is that what the unusual activity is?

I’ve not noticed that much spam on this forum, unless it has been dealt with by the time I visit. Maybe I am not recognising some of the posts as spam while other are.

As much as the changes were needed and have made the forum look and feel more updated, the main thing that makes the forum what it is, is the people using the forum. I have generally found the forum to be friendly and helpful, unlike stack overflow where they tend to jump on you if your knowledge is some what limited to theirs. There are plenty of Facebook Groups to join, but the ones I have joined and left seem to be full of people advertising and not much questions and answers content.

I must admit I didn’t know who 20i were, if they are the main sponsor of the forum, then should they have a banner or something to show they are a sponsor and what their business is?

It’s the first time I have looked at the forum using an iPhone SE which is quite a small screen. The forum look very clean and clear, the layout still looks nice, and it’s easy to use.

before I logged in I did see an advert for 20i, but once logged in it not obvious who the sponsor is.

keep up the good work. ?

Edited by GrahamUK33

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Is anyone else seeing bizarre status updates from random members? Most of them look like they are pasting from Twitter.

Yes, I think we've now prevented that from happening but time will tell.

17 hours ago, rbrtsmith said:

Test - :):tada:

Doesn't seem to work…  the list even in full view is not the same icons as Emoji see -> https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html

If you try the same now it should work. :):tada: The Invision software has its own emojis that correspond to the common ones but you have to upload your own. The smiley was linked to a colon/bracket (and still is) so I had to add the corresponding smile 'keyword' to the image.

Any more emoji requests? :flm16:

1 hour ago, GrahamUK33 said:

I must admit I didn’t know who 20i were, if they are the main sponsor of the forum, then should they have a banner or something to show they are a sponsor and what their business is?

Their ad on the home page is very prominent for me. I want your ad-blocker!

I can see the 20i sponsor banner on the top right now using a desktop. :)

I haven't noticed any bizarre status updates from random members so far.

The only filter I have is taking my glasses off, it works well as I can't see anything. ;)

There shouldn't be any need to upload Emoji as it's part of the ASCII character set that ships on modern OS systems.  So there's no images, they are just ASCII characters

e.g ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ☠️ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ✊ ? ? ? ✌️ ? ? ? ? ? ? ☝️ ✋ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ✍️ ?  …

None of the above are images - you can copy and paste them as they are just text, like a modern version of Webdings…  Does anybody remember that?  I remember trolling people by changing the font of their work into Webdings 

What I'm saying is that it should be these that are listed under the icon dropdown.  and :poop: would map to ? for example.

Edited by rbrtsmith

Just now, citypaul said:

There is a downside to that though @rbrtsmith - as far as I'm aware, party parrot isn't part of the ASCII spec.

What a load of ?!

Can we have ASCII emojis plus a full assortment of party parrots please? Without party parrot I'm not sure I can take this forum seriously.

Yeah I agree, party parrot is essential.

There shouldn't be any need to upload Emoji as it's part of the ASCII character set that ships on modern OS systems.  So there's no images, they are just ASCII characters

Yes, but AFAIK we're limited by the Invision software. But we'll look in to it.