GrahamUK33

Upload Plugin for Atom Editor

I have been using Atom for the last month and now prefer it over Dreamweaver v8. What I would like is a plugin to upload the files, also to view/edit the files on the webserver.

What plugin would you recommend?

To be honest this isn't a standard workflow for a developer, so you may struggle to find something that works well. The target audience for Dreamweaver isn't the same as Atom, most developers using Atom will be using Git for deployments. If you want FTP then you'll need to get separate software to do this, something like Transit for Mac.

Thanks for replying @Jack as far as I can see Atom uses Plugins (Community Packages), I am currently using 'remote-sync' which does update the files on the host server.

I was hoping that Atom was used more out there and someone would have found a Plugin to view/edit the files on the host server that they would be able to recommend.

Currently I have to logon to the host server and delete the files that I don't want which is becoming a bit of a pain.

Do you mean on a production server? The reason that may not exist in Atom is because it's extremely dangerous. Editing / amending files in production should be avoided at all costs. Using Git will allow you to sync between a local environment and production, and roll back if needed.

The only thing that looks similar is https://nuclide.io/ by Facebook, you can edit remote files, but again this seems a bit dangerous to me.

The web server I am talking about is the web space I pay for from my ISP.

this is all possible to do within Dreamweaver which is a handy feature to have.

6 minutes ago, Jack said:

Do you mean on a production server? The reason that may not exist in Atom is because it's extremely dangerous. Editing / amending files in production should be avoided at all costs. Using Git will allow you to sync between a local environment and production, and roll back if needed.

The only thing that looks similar is https://nuclide.io/ by Facebook, you can edit remote files, but again this seems a bit dangerous to me.

Totally agree with this.  The days of using FTP are long gone.  If you don't know Git already there's a fantastic course on CodeSchool that will teach you the basics, but essentially this is the standard tool devs use to manage their code.

You typically push your code into a remote repository like Github,  You can then manually pull it down to your server via SSH, although the preferred way is to automate this via CI/CD services such as CircleCI / TravisCI - They will run all your linting and test suites and if everything passes then deploy the project.

To take this further you can also have different environments on the server such as staging and live - adding an extra layer of security against bugs finding their way into a production environment.

This feature exists in Dreamweaver as it's target market is not professionals.  Atom is actually created by the Github team for developers who are working in an environment where Git is used.  A plugin released to help with FTP wouldn't prove to be very popular with Atom users as for the most part they are working or learning towards working in a professional environment.

I'm not familiar with Git/Github but I do prefer using Atom over Dreamweaver to create and manage my website using code rather than drag-and-drop. I'm never going to be a professional web designer, but I am trying to improve on the little bit of knowledge that I have with HTML and CSS. 

5 hours ago, GrahamUK33 said:

I'm not familiar with Git/Github but I do prefer using Atom over Dreamweaver to create and manage my website using code rather than drag-and-drop. I'm never going to be a professional web designer, but I am trying to improve on the little bit of knowledge that I have with HTML and CSS. 

Yeah, so the way you're doing it is how I began when I first started out. It seems like a convenience, doesn't it, to be able to quickly upload files to your server, even by just hitting the save button?

The problem with this though is that stuff often goes wrong - what if you hit save when you're not quite ready or you have a bug you don't know about? That would go right out to production. What if you break something and want to revert your changes, but you can't because you've saved your changes locally and now they're on the server too?

Git is a tool used to track changes to your work over time. You can go back in time to any point, so if you were in a position where you'd broken something on your site, you could revert the change to how it was when it previously worked and then fix the issue locally, before then updating your website with all the updates plus the fix.

Git is more powerful than that even, but that's a good starting place. You should try to move away from the ftp model really instead of trying to find a way to make Atom work with it.

Here's an article on the subject you may find useful:

https://code.tutsplus.com/articles/from-ftp-to-git-a-deployment-story--net-25982

And while you say you're never going to be a professional web designer, learning Git and how to deploy with it will save you lots of time and stress, believe me. The knowledge that you can go back in time at any point and revert to a previously working version is worth its weight in gold.

You can do even more powerful things like branching, but that can come later.

I wouldn't be disheartened by the advice you've received here - read the article I've posted and have a play with that. It'll be worth the investment in terms of time and effort taken to learn it.

Edited by citypaul

Thanks for the link, I have had a look through and also watched a video on creating a connection to Git. It looks so complex to create this connection and deploy changes using command line.

I like the simplicity of just saving a file and it updates on the server, then all I have to do is refresh the browser to see the change.

I have been using a part of the server that I use for creating new pages or a complete update on the website, when I am happy with the changes, I then move the file to another folder and then update them to the location that the public will see. When I am working on something that I am not too sure on I will copy and rename the files, and then remove all those once I am happy with the changes.

When I am not using my desktop, I work off my tablet which is quite limited with Windows 8 RT, so I copy the file to a stick and work off that. It is a pain as I would like to update the server with the changes, but I can’t load software on the tablet, it only allows me to use Apps in the Store. I am using an App called ‘Code Writer’ which is a very simple editor.

As you can see, I do work quite antiquated and I am sure it could be better. It would be nice to have a better solution, but it really need to be very easy for an amateur using free software/apps and services.