jonel

Best options for hosting my website

Hi All,

I hope I am the right place in he forum for this topic.

I currently have a tutorial website. The pages of the site have been developed in HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript. Students have access to all the pages of the site. The tutorials themselves are on separate HTML pages and these are linked to from buttons on the main pages. The tutorials themselves are mainly self contained HTML pages but the do use php to email results back to the tutor.

Everything works on the site, but I would now like to have the users to have a forum as well as registering and paying a fee for the using the tutorials. I have looked at a range of options, but all seem to cause me some sort of problem I don't want to commit to a solution then discover that it won't work for me.

Website builders like WIX seem to have everything I want and looks very good, but I'm sure I will to:

1. Re-create my web pages

2. Not be able to integrate my tutorial html files (I can link to them on another host)

3. Not be able to use my own php files

I would be really grateful if anyone could give me some advice please?

Jonel

Welcome mate.

Pretty much any host will be able to host a site like that with the exception of site builders such as Wix. If you go down the route of Wix or similar then the room for future growth is pretty much thwarted. Since I'm unsure on your technical level and understanding forgive me if I sound patronising in places, I'm assuming your level is very basic for my reply.

I currently have a tutorial website. The pages of the site have been developed in HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript. Students have access to all the pages of the site. The tutorials themselves are on separate HTML pages and these are linked to from buttons on the main pages. The tutorials themselves are mainly self contained HTML pages but the do use php to email results back to the tutor.

Do the students have to login to view the tutorials right now or are they directly accessible to the public? If already live and public you'll need to think SEO strategy as all those tasty tutorials would now be hidden from the search engines. If each page is technically php (end in .php) then you'll be fine ... if they end in .htm or .html without htaccess rewrite then you'll have a lot of work remapping html to new urls as in order to give permission for signed in (paid for) logins access only you will need session cookies, the next bit.

Everything works on the site, but I would now like to have the users to have a forum as well as registering and paying a fee for the using the tutorials. I have looked at a range of options, but all seem to cause me some sort of problem I don't want to commit to a solution then discover that it won't work for me.

Forums rely on cookies too. Logged in state is exactly that, you can set access level and all sorts from here. Blending the paid access and forums from here would be advisable; someone on here will be able to recommend a solution, this forum is powered by IP Board so worth taking a look from there.